back to article Dell rings up spin-screen Duo at £449

Dell hasn't yet said how much it'll ask for its netbook-cum-tablet Inspiron Duo over here, but it's offering Arqiva employees them for £449 a pop, we hear. Arqiva is the company that owns the UK's terrestrial TV and radio transmitter network. Employees who take up Dell on its offer will get a JBL docking station freebie. Dell …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Kay Burley ate my hamster
    FAIL

Not user-proof

Users will flip that screen and use the surround as a handle! Mark my words!

2. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Hinge Half Life

I'd give the pivotting hinge 5 mins tops before it becomes a two piece laptop.

3. Giles Jones Gold badge

Worst of both worlds?

It'll be weighty, it looks bulky, it has an Atom CPU and big bloaty x86 OS.

Really, it's just a netbook with a gimmic and nothing more.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Worst of both worlds?

As a tablet it's way too large and heavy to use comfortably, plus the battery life is awful. Also, I saw a video review on another site, and the software was very slow to react to touches.

As a laptop it's way too big and heavy for the netbook spec you're getting, plus the battery life is awful.

Shame, because it's an interesting design.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Going to wait for the full review...

but things don't look so good so far. Assuming it's as bad as it sounds... it's a shame.

5. mafoo
    Welcome

humm

strangely reminiscent of a cat flap

1. RayG

Hmmm indeed

Funny cat you've got there, mate.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

What prize

What prize for the first user to open it from tablet mode and complain their computers broken

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

To Be known as

The 7730 error

7. Doogie Howser MD
    Joke

Looks like

a Velux window to me!

8. isurrenderall
    Megaphone

Price confirmed

I've just had an e-mail from Dell, which stated the price at £449. Can't purchase it just yet though.

9. sT0rNG b4R3 duRiD

IF...

If it's as good as an Eee 1000HE it will be worth looking at.

BUT... I hear early reports say the battery is crap.

I'm still getting anywhere from 6-8 hours on a single charge on my 1000HE which is a good year old at least. And I use it daily, from reading El Reg on the bog to visual studio stuff.

Only gripe I have with the 1000HE is that it's solely 32 bit and I've got to build and test 64 bit code on another machine, no biggie just yet but one day I expect windows will be predominantly 64 bit, which is why I'm following this Dell thingy with some interest.

Been trying to find an upgrade candidate (don't need to, but hey, don't we all like looking?) but so far, I've found nothing. So, slightly off topic but if anyone has any good ideas, go ahead and post 'em :)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like