back to article Sharp Aquos LC-32LE210E 32in LCD TV

I have to say, I rather admire Sharp for not becoming entirely obsessed with 3D TV, and focusing some of its R&D talent on its innovative four-colour Quattron picture technology. Moreover, the company hasn’t ignored adding features to its less expensive televisions, evident in the 32in Aquos LC-32LE210E. Sharp Aquos LC- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Insane Reindeer
    Thumb Down

Almost but not quite...

What we are looking for in a new TV. We too would love to see them simplify the recording to USB feature and make it so that we can take it off the stick and watch it on a normal PC. Add this, sell it in Finland and they have at least two sales!

2. fattybacon
    Alert

Chocolate fireguard?

My Panasonic telly supports USB record.. it's completely useless of course, you have to have the TV switched on for a start and you have to leave it on the channel you want it to record, timed or live. So, it's got to play to either an empty room or you've got to watch it recording. It would be useful for pausing live TV though.

The reason the reviewer couldn't transfer it to a PC was nothing to do with Linux filesystems, it was because the Sharp has encrypted the volume so it can only be replayed on that telly, even another Sharp LC-32LE210E wouldn't play it. Same goes for the Panasonic I own.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Bedroom TV

Erm, who really needs a 32 inch TV in their bedroom???

1. Shades
      Stop

Bedroom?

What about "or kids playroom"? I stopped reading after that, the single most ridiculous statement I've ever read on El Reg... and that includes the comments sections!

1. Anonymous Coward
        WTF?

Oh come on....

..a £450 telly in the bedroom and playroom, don't we all have them?

havingKids a 1/Cashtospendon£450telly

2. ian 22

In the bedroom?

Size does matter in the bedroom! Or was it between the sheets...

4. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

no freeview HD?

come on, its late 2010 and about to rollout everywhere. this is a major #EPICFAIL

i was tempted by this set , actually for bedroom use...but ultimately 2 things killed it for me.

firstly, the lack of freeviewHD in the set - I'm not going to buy a separate STB for that thanks!

secondly, lack of ethernet port for local media streaming or net content. the second requirement means , as reviewer says, i have to go up-market a little but with the USB media capabilities I was going to make a small sacrifice. oh well

1. Anton Ivanov

Sod the FView, where is the Ether

I do not see a point of buying a 300£+ TV without an Ethernet. It is not like it costs much more than the entire USB and other portage malarkey.

5. JDX Gold badge

Price

Isn't £500 pretty pricey for a 32" TV these days?

1. Fatmas
      Thumb Up

Agreed

My thoughts exactly! Why would I be spending £500 on a 32" TV when I can get one for just over £300 with basically the same features?!

6. JDX Gold badge

re: FreeviewHD

It's a bit of a waste of money for every TV to include this IMO. Not everyone wants it - many have Sky or Freesat and/or live somewhere without decent TV reception. So there's definitely room for TVs that are JUST TVs, unless it can be added for on extra cost.

7. King Jack
    FAIL

Deja Vu...Next

This reminds me of the early MP3 players. You could put stuff on, but by design you couldn't take anything off. Your only choice was to delete it. Also locking playback to the creating machine. Give it a year of poor sales and all these things will be addressed.

The reviewer doesn't mention whether you can rearrange the channels in an order which suits you. Ancient sets from yesteryear could do it, but this 'digital Modern sets' fail.

I'll wait till someone in the design department wakes up and gives me a TV that does what I want.

8. jason 7
    WTF?

32" is plenty for most UK livingrooms.

I remember when we felt very chuffed with 28" of CRT goodness. It wasnt that long ago.

The word FAIL always pops into my mind when I walk into a UK livingroom that has a 40"+ TV in thats obviously way too large. That and folks that amusingly put the TV above the fireplace or 6 feet up the wall so you have to crane your neck to watch it.

But then I've always felt that your TV should not be the main focus/talking point of your livingroom. It's a bit sad if it is.

Dear oh dear.

1. Robert E A Harvey
      WTF?

quite

The idea that 32" is 'compact' almost made me choke on my bacon butty. I was expecting to read next that it was good enough for the nanny's flat.

2. John H Woods Silver badge

Errm...?

I agree with you about the wallmounting idiocy - never understood why people sometimes mount them so high up. But I'm reminded of what my mother said about our TV 'rather dominating' the living room. My answer is that the Big White Rectangle rather dominates the average cinema too!

Maybe you would feel happier if we called it the 'TV room' - that's what it's for!

1. Bassey
        Thumb Down

wallmounting idiocy

Presumably none of you have children then? My first LCD had to be thrown away after our two-year-old drove a toy-tractor across the screen cracking the substrate. The replacement is mounted on the wall high enough to keep it out of the way.

Just because YOU can't think of a good reason for it doesn't make IT stupid... try the mirror!

3. graeme leggett Silver badge

Agree

Just checked out current (CRT widescreen) TV - 23 inches corner to corner. The whole of the front bezel isn't 32 inches.

4. Alex Walsh

Apparently

the optimal viewing distance for a 65inch 3D telly is 2m, so expect tellies to get bigger :)

9. K.o.R
    Go

SSA?

Seriously? As in, with support for all kinds of gumpf like subtitle positioning, rotation, colours? Different fonts?

10. Nick Ryan Silver badge

Getting there...

Getting there... but I'd really like a nice, simple all in one device that has frevview HD (DVB-T2) and built in DVD (or even Blu-ray, but don't care too much) with recording a nice but not required extra.

This device will then remove the need for a separate ugly decoder box, a separate DVD/Blu-ray player and the mess of Scart and power cables that inhabit the spaces between such setups. i.e. it'll then be ideal for a bedroom or somewhere else where you don't have a dedicated cabinet to hide the mess behind the TV.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Please retune your set to enhance your available Titles!

I've vowed not to buy a new telly until FreeviewHD+ and FreesatHD+ are BOTH included.

many of my friends and colleagues have dual tuner TV's it really isn't that difficult. Yes a +box would add £100 to the base price, but with 32 inch tvs ranging from £250-£1000 is there aproblem with a £600 set with all the features? Of course having a decent screen with decent processor and decent tuners (yes 2 of each!) and decent +facility, may well add up to the very top end price but if its decent enough quality then it WILL sell just look at apple... people DO spend lots, on quality products.

12. cliff 2

Bedroom Box

I've currently got a 26" CRT in my bedroom - used to be my main TV in the living room, but has now been relegated to the bedroom.

Although it's 'only' a 26" screen, the CRT is bigger, bulkier and about 10x heavier than the 32" Sharp, so it does kind of make sense for Sharp to push it at people who need a second set for a bedroom/playroom or whatever.

13. Chz

At least some feature-sets are moving down market

It's at least nice to see time-shifting in a lower-priced model from someone. Unlike Samsung, who want you to go up to the 3D-capable 7-series for that kind of ability. I'm expecting someone will reverse engineer the firmware and bring PVR ability to the 6-series (fantastic buy, those, and the hardware is certainly capable of it), but it's disappointing that they feel it's a "high end" option.

Pity about the rest of the set. My C650 spends more time playing tv and films off our LAN than off the aerial.

14. Alex Walsh

Worst placed

Scart socket I've ever seen- it's not even recessed into the back of the casing. It would make wall mounting it & using the scart socket impossible.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like