back to article Samsung, Dixons herald huge tablet sales

Samsung has sold 600,000 Galaxy Tab Android tablets, the South Korean giant claimed yesterday. The 7in Tab has been on sale for three-and-a-half weeks, but the bulk of the sales seem to have taken place early on. Samsung Galaxy Tab Samsung's Tab: handed out in their thousands Tacit confirmation of that sales curve is …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. whats the point of kenny lynch?
    Happy

i think that

the vega is the 10" version and the amico is the 7"?

anyway, neither is available but i will be purchasing the vega, looks great for basic stuff and half the price (at least) of the ipad...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Minor correction

Vega is a 10" tablet and not 7" (that's the Amico)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sold or stuffed into the channel?

Are these 600,000 sold to real-life customers or is it just the number shipped to retailers? It is nice to know if I'm reading marketing bullshit or stats that reflect real demand. Ta very much.

1. chr0m4t1c

Wondering that myself

IIRC, Apple's initial sales of iPads were direct to customers through their retail stores or web store, but I don't think Samsung have a direct sales channel, so I presume these numbers are for how many have gone to retailers, not how many are in the mits of users.

Actual sales may be a bit lower at the moment.

4. Tony Barnes

I doubt mine will be the first to point it out....

...but the Advent Vega is a 10 inch device, not 7.

Early feedback on it seems to have a fair chunk of issues, the 1080p playback is dependent on the encoding to a greater degree than I hoped, has put me off one for now...

5. SC Handle
    Thumb Down

Are you all Apple fanboys?

Samsung said they will have sold over 1m Galaxy Tabs by years end. They didn't say they don't expect to sell more. It's also a slightly different class of device to the iPad so stop directly comparing it. I've owned both I should bloody know.

Also Samsung have sold 600,000 in 3.5 weeks. Apple sold 1m in 4 weeks with a much larger marketing push, much more hyped build up, much more powerful brand identity and name, etc. Wow I'm sure Samsung are gutted... Get a grip reg. There isn't only one company out there nor is only one company leading things.

In the mean time your articles have finally driven me off your site. Bye.

1. Tony Smith, Editor, Reg Hardware (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Are you all Apple fanboys?

Ta-ra

1. CmdrX3

Oh dear!!!

Watch out for the revolving door, it has a habit of hitting you in the ass on the way out.

6. Candy

Unprecedented?

Do they know the difference between "unprecedented" and "unanticipated"? Or perhaps just "misjudged"?

7. Nosher
    Stop

Apple behaviour?

"Selling out of a product depends as much on the stocks you have as the level of demand"

Of course Apple would never do such a thing, would they?

1. Tony Smith, Editor, Reg Hardware (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Apple behaviour?

Well, Apple posts its sales figures in the documents it posts with the US Securities and Exchange commission. These are open to public scrutiny, unlike Dixons' sales figures for an individual product.

If Apple - or any major US company - says it sells x million gadgets, you can be sure it has. The penalties for serious fibbing are too high.

Dixons, meanwhile, hasn't specified any number at all. It merely says it hasn't got any Vegas left. Now it might have sold 600,000 of them, like Samsung. But the balance of probabilities is that the figure is *considerably* lower than that.

8. Monty Burns

already on the badnwagon?

"It's an interesting contrast. Yes, Apple had a big marketing programme, but the media tablet was a new notion back in April. "

orrr.... maybe people have already rushed to buy the iPad and so obviously, don't want/need another pad. This might just explain why its not going to sell as many in the short term.

9. Neil_

7"?

Pretty sure the Vega is 10" or 10.1".

Initial comments from people who managed to get one say it's good for the money, better than the Folio (which I tried and had awful screen response).

Kinda wish I'd ordered one now!

10. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

As an iPad owner...

...this is a good thing. Competition is good. Products improve and evolve. Just because I've bought an apple does not make me a fanboi loyalist - I'll go with what I deem fits my leisure needs best (these aren't "primary/mission critical" computing devices afterall)

However, if the majority is dross, that's not going to help the sector. Lets hope these tablets are in some way decent, unique and not massively overpriced.

Hint: Apple - I was more more memory, front-facing camera and a retina-display in 16:9 or genuine 720p (1080p would be nice) option next time. Oh and it needs to be cheaper too. Ta v much.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Retina display *and* cheaper?!

What fantasy planet do you live on where a 300+ ppi flat panel display of more than a few inches in dimension is (a) available and (b) not going to cost an arm and a leg all by itself even if it were? The pricing of displays doesn't stay the same the more ppi you put into them, and there isn't a simple linear relationship in price going from 4 to 7 to 10 inches, it's more like an exponential one!

I'd love an iPad with a 'retina' display at the same or lower cost than the current version, but it isn't going to happen for half a decade or more.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Alien

Fantasy Planet...

...is Earth. Where a bit of light-hearted idle speculation is open to mis-interpretation, apparently.

I should have mentioned improved battery life and thinner package as well...then you'd really know I was dreaming.

Dreaming's still allowed here, isn't?

2. uhuznaa

Half a decade?

"I'd love an iPad with a 'retina' display at the same or lower cost than the current version, but it isn't going to happen for half a decade or more."

One year maximum. I have no idea what kind of displays we will use in half a decade.

11. RichyS

Bulk

"...but the bulk of the sales seem to have taken place early on."

Well, I imagine that's because the bulk of Galaxy Tabs are sold through the network operators, and Samsung have thus sold the bulk to them.

It would be interesting to know how many are actually in consumer hands. I've not seen any on the Tube yet. Lots of Kindles and iPads, but no Tabs. Hmmm...

12. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

Sold out? too right

Most stores in the UK have only got 1 or 2 models in stock. Yes, really that low.

Maplin have only 1 per store for example.

So little wonder they 'sold out'.

But they're being bought by non-technical people who don't know the current issues with all these devices.

Samsung and Toshiba have serious technical issues with their devices that any sane IT engineer would run a mile from.

Best to wait for the Acer brand next year to see what their take on this new market is.

June next year is the time to start looking at buying a Tablet.

13. Tony Paulazzo
    Pint

Title

>One year maximum. I have no idea what kind of displays we will use in half a decade<

Holographic, and the battery (mini black hole) will last for years. Voice controlled but, being an Apple product, it still won't play flash and iTunes will still be a bloated mess.

Have a beer.

1. chr0m4t1c
      Coat

Presumably

There will also be a white hole version that's delayed by a year.

14. paul 97
    Thumb Up

Advent Vega

They've sold out of another batch. The advent vega team have a very active twitter feed.

I've managed to nab one for £230 - its a lovely bit of kit for that level of pounds. Dual core CPU , nvidia graphics , SD card slot , HDMI , USB.

Wife acceptance factor is high due to the superb web browser complete with flash (that the Tosh folio lacked at launch.)

As its not officially google sanctioned - there is no market app. This has already been overcome by the community. Not that its essential as I downloaded Angry Birds from the web and install is a one click process.

As word of mouth spreads and assuming they can keep up with demand - this could be the number one tablet PC for xmas.

1. whats the point of kenny lynch?
      Thumb Up

huh?

whats their twitter name thingy? i cannot find them under 'advent'...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like