back to article Indian village bans single girls from mobile use

Women in the Indian region of Lank will need to find a husband before a mobile phone, as single women have been banned from using mobiles for fear they'll elope. The ruling, by the village council, isn't backed by Indian law, but in rural India that's less important as the panchayats (elected elders) of the village have …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

daft

"eight of those elopements resulting in honour killings three of which included the beheading of the girls by family members."

Such treatment in the UK would result in the assailant being sectioned under the mental health act!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Troll

surely you're not suggesting

that a head shrinker should get involved?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re:daft

It happens over here. I can definitively state that you get a murder rap, not sectioned.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

honour killings

are not limited to India, they happen every so often near where I live* in the UK.

*Yes I do live near Bradford!

2. Just Thinking

Perspective

Girls in India are being beheaded by their own families.

But banning them from having phones, that counts as news?

1. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Perspective

On a tech site, yeah.

Sometimes we do consider the tech angle.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I'm new here

So beheading with a laser would be news?

1. yeehaw....
          Thumb Up

Oh Hell Yes!

And we would have statistics of people who lopped off a body part, which body part, accidental body parts.Fanboi fights over the Apple iSabre vs the Android StreetLopper and the new laser color to be introduced, power stats, ip lawsuits, battery life..... the list goes on.

Good stuff there!

2. Richard 120

Simples

"Girls in India are being beheaded by their own families." - olds

"Girls in India are being banned from having phones." - news

3. Xander
    Unhappy

Maybe I'm missing something here...

But wouldn't the panchayats condemning the "honour killings" (read, violent and disgusting murders of their own children) be slightly more useful...

1. John G Imrie

Death before Dishonour

Especially when it's someone else's death.

2. Dave Murray

Complicit

I think you'll find they help with the honour killings.

4. Avatar of They

India.

12th and 21st century in one place.

5. Sarah Davis
    Unhappy

too sad !!

i think you have to respect other cultures, up to a point, but this is retarded.

the U.N. should bombard the village with mobiles as clearly the men in that village are so useless they have no worth at all to the women who clearly have no choice but to use mobile to resolve their matromonial needs

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

you mean...

....the types of phones that have vibration alerts?

6. Wommit
    Big Brother

Just symptomatic

of all governments / councils need to control communications. If you control who people can communicate with you control those people.

This was obvious in the introduction to the UK of limited range FM CB radio kit rather than the cheaper, and longer range American AMdevices.

If you can communicate freely with whosoever you want to then you are able to organise yourselves and protest against your government / council.

As for people eloping, people have always eloped and always will. The elders may not like it but they're not going to be able to stop it by banning mobile phones.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Well no actually....

....the FM CB decision was based on limiting interference by making the standardised radios use constant envelope modulation, the range of AM and FM is pretty similar if you look at the bandwidths and link budgets. If you could hear US-based AM stations you were doing well, most of them were using illegally high-powered SSB rigs. I remember hearing one US station using a 5kW linear amp on 27MHz in about 1980 who was inaudible (buried in the noise) with it switched off.

As for restricting young women's ability to control their own lives, this is where the battle lies now with the old views gradually being changed or replaced. One day all of this culture and religion-based social control will vanish, but the price will be a world where everywhere is much the same.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Young people today.

These disobedient young people, falling in love and deciding who they want to marry.

Disgraceful, whatever is the world coming too?

1. Anonymous Coward
      WTF?

Shocking

I was in Bangalore last year, on Valentine's day. The local fundamentalists were planning to drive around the city with a priest, forcibly marrying any unmarried couples seen holding hands...

8. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Get phone, find husband. Duh.

The sub-humans who thought up the no-phones rule should be taken out and shot. That is all.

1. thecakeis(not)alie

There are a number of people who need to be shot first.

I am sorry, the "no-phones" rule is positively humane by comparison with a lot of other crap that's out there. If you're putting people up against the wall, then I vote that /anyone/ who engages in stupid crap like "honour killings" is first up against the wall.

Of course they'd have to vie for space with the asshats who do **** like "smother baby girls because they wanted a son instead."

I can accept “no phones if you are single” as a sort of weird social rule from a society that places a lot of emphasis on caste. It grinds firmly against what I believe, but it doesn’t cost lives. If you are going to shoot people, then you find those in this world who not only sneer at the principles behind the UDHR but actively oppose it.

I don’t believe in “shooting someone” for arbitrary reasons. Indeed, I believe strongly that every person has a right to life. Still, I believe in the greatest good for the greatest number, and people whose core belief systems are in direct opposition to the UDHR…

…I can support shooting them.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Soon in Indian mobile shops...

... phone contracts that include a wife.

Male customer: what do you have?

Seller: well for £60/month you can have a iPhone 4G with 600 minutes and the village hotty, or if you skint, for £5/month, you can have...

They'd be call "contractual weddings", but you wouldn't be entitled to an upgrade after 3 years.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Contractual Weddings

As opposed to the "pay as you go" ones...?

1. Richard 120
        Joke

They're all pay as you go ones

It's just some "contracts" are more open about the cost.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Stunning

I mean, what do you say to stuff like this?

A population that thinks it is above the law of its own land? Talk about big fish in a small pond.

Beheading your own relatives. And I thought Twister was dangarous.

The only thing we can hope for, is that technology opens the minds of some of these people.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Strip twister

best game in the world.

11. Elmer Phud

'Hmm, sounds good' . . .

. . .says the Daily Mail reader, 'keep them in check and stop them gallivanting about'.

And would most likely also approve of any severe beating that the girls would get for having an illicit phone. Boys? Nah, never, they are real men of the future, what the country relies on.

12. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Emerging

Sounds like the perfect place to outsource our jobs too...

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Panchayati raj

The Panchayats are handed quite a bit of power by the Indian constitution, and have fairly wide scope in the rules they can impose. At a village level they're the equivalent of a parish council here, but with more power and far more scope for the abuse of it. To get a landline phone, water or electric connection, planning approval, bank loan or a thousand other bits of government "work", you usually have to have the signature of the local "Pradhan", or head of the Panchayat. Unsurprisingly, this turns out to be a tidy little earner for the guy with the job since the only way to services is the stroke of his pen.

It explains why absolutely everyone in India works assiduously to cultivate relationships with someone connected with politics, however vaguely, although the favourite is always some family connection, however distant. The best shortcut to the necessary scrawl is a decent bottle of whisky or two and a talent for heavy drinking.

On the flip side its an avenue of punishment for anyone not toeing the accepted local line - get caught letting your cow graze on someone else's corn and you might be denied the use of the huge village cooking pots for a family wedding or denied a necessary signature.

Not sure it's universal, but in some places at least you are ineligible to sit on the Panchayat if you have more than two children.

1. ian 22
      Alert

More than 2 children? No Panchayat for you!

So just behead the redundant ones. There, done and dusted.

Not to be too stereotypical, but is this the practice in Muslim areas only, or is it everywhere in India?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

re: stereotypes

The area referred to in the article is predominantly Hindu, not Muslim. In the bits of rural India that practice it, beheading/burning your wayward daughters/daughters-in-law is a multi-faith discipline with no one religion having a particular monopoly. Another especially favoured method of dispatch is the "accidental" kerosene/gas stove explosion (nice and deniable if palms are well greased). There are plenty when the body is chopped up and disposed of in a wood burning stove, although these always leave plenty of evidence, should the police be in the rare frame of mind to take an interest.

Acid in the face tends to be the favoured non-terminal "punishment" meted out by families, or increasingly frequently by jilted boyfriends.

In parts of India, even getting as far as being born can be hard enough, not least thanks to (now illegal in many places) sex determination with ultrasound. Typical ratios for male/female births should be around 1050 females per 1000 males in India, but in Gujarat, Punjab and parts of Uttar Pradesh rates have dropped as low as 850 girls per 1000 males. A study a few years ago threw up the (to many) surprising conclusion that it was the urban middle class who were now the biggest culprits in terminating pregnancies that would have produced daughters. The rural poor have to wait till girls are born to knock them off on the quiet.

The honourable exception to the general abuse of women is the state of Kerala, which apart from its distinction as one of the few places in the world to have had a longstanding elected Communist government (and India's highest literacy rate by far, not least among women) has a historically Matriarchal society. Its also one of the few states where you can eat a steak or beef curry without attracting a lynch mob.

1. Cian
          Headmaster

male/female ratio

I think you mean "typical ratios for male/female births should be around 1050 *males* per 1000 *females* - unless India is different to the rest of the world.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Elopement using a mobile...there's an app for that...

It's called "i-lope"

On a more serious note, please can we (media) stop call these things 'honour killings' - they are what they are - Brutal murders. 'Honour Killings' gives the impression that there is some justification to them (however warped), which even in Indian law there isn't.

1. Charles 9

Maybe not in Indian law...

...but in those areas, local law is the most important since Indian authorities rarely intervene on those matters. It's like in the medieval days when most people didn't stray further than seven miles.

As for the "honour" bit, it may be a bit tricky for Westerners to understand, but, especially in the past and in "less-forward" places like these, Easterners value their honour more than they value their life since the latter is fleeting but the former is eternal. The phrase "I'd sooner die..." isn't as hollow a bravado over there.

1. Magnus_Pym
        FAIL

Yes but...

...shouldn't that be 'I'd sooner kill you'?

15. Anonymous Coward
    Megaphone

In my experience.

It's just an indication of how the Indian continent is still stuck in the dark age, caste system mentality.

Way back when I was a spritely 20 year old I met a gorgeous Indian girl who managed to see past all my hang ups and went out with me. Naturally with me being a white anglo irish lad it led to her being locked in the house by her folks for disobedience. I managed to get her out quickly and eventually they had to come to terms with it.

Now I'm accepted as part of the furniture of their side of the fence, but it always remains a memory that they still harbour notions that the rules in Indian culture apply when you've chosen to raise your kids in the UK.

My sis in law will be going through the whole emotional blackmail thing soon as she is going out with an anglo indian guy who is not from the Bhuj region. I'm not looking forward to it because I will be speaking my mind when the fallout hits.

Placing restrictions on people doesn't work, you either change and moderate or the change will sweep you aside.

16. James 5
    Flame

Why...

.. are we still outsourcing call centres to this country?

When they have stopped all so-called "honour" killings then we, maybe, can talk to them again.

Why are none of the perpetrators of these murders being charged, convicted and shipped (naked) to Antarctica for six months without food? (Well, it sounds fair to me!)

1. OldDogNewWalk

@ Why...

Because it's cheap and big business has no god other than price.

17. Stuart Halliday
    WTF?

Learn history

Let's not forget in the UK in the middle ages we used to do this to female babies, common practise.

1. M Gale

Britain is indeed the past master of bastardry.

It's been taken over in the last century or so, though.

Well, all except for one.

2. Maty

erm

I can understand banning mobile phones for female babies - but doing so in the medieval period certainly shows forward thinking on someone's part.

18. Displacement Activity
    Badgers

Banning mobile phones for teenage daughters...

Sounds good to me. Is this coming to a village near Norfolk soon?

19. John Savard

Ovious Remedy

Well, if the Indian government cannot exercise effective control of its territory, to ensure that national constitutional law guaranteeing equality for women is fully enforced everywhere, isn't it time that India's independence should be rescinded?

20. alien anthropologist
    Grenade

Time to leave this fricken mudball..

I say we take off and nuke the entire planet from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

21. Winkypop Silver badge
    Stop

Strange idea of honour

Not liking a woman's choice of husband/in-laws - VERSUS - killing a close relative.

Hmmm

Which one is the more honourable to bear?

22. Andy Hards
    Unhappy

Choice?

Don't be ridiculous Winkypop women can't think right in the best of situations, so why should they be allowed their own choice in a man. That decision should be entirely up to the father and anyone else he decides can have a say in the matter. Any dissent can and will result in beheading. Only fair.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like