back to article Now Oz to ban online cigarette ads

Once a government has become used to the idea of banning things, it can be a hard habit to give up – as Australian voters who still enjoy the occasional cigarette are likely to soon find out. This time last week, Down Under's Minister for Health and Ageing, Nicola Roxon, stood up in the Australian parliament and introduced a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I can't wait until they ban alcohol advertising

I can see it now. Fosters buys an aluminum pipe company, and their ads say: Fosters (picture of pipe with fosters logo): You know what we deliver through these!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

Fosters?

Australians wouldn't be seen dead drinking that piss water :-)

1. Big-nosed Pengie

This is not a title

The human body is a wonderful machine for turning beer into Fosters.

2. jonathanb Silver badge

No online advertising in the UK then?

So could someone explain what this

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/shelves/Tobacconist_in_Tesco.html

is, if it isn't advertising?

3. John Angelico
    Black Helicopters

Already banned

Tobacco advertising was banned many years ago (when Mrs Cripps was 'young and charming' for all you HMS Pinafore fans).

It merely demonstrates that Australia's parliaments are no more than legislation factories: 'Oh, is that a problem? We'll legislate!' "You have convinced me that this is a problem. We'll legislate!"

Soon there won't be enough room to breathe for all the rules and regulations.

4. Winkypop Silver badge
    Big Brother

Stop it, or you'll get:

- Lazy

- Fat!

- Cancer!

- Aroused!

- Arrested!

- Incarcerated!

- All of the above

5. mmiied
    Joke

La La La

*takes a beap breath*

6. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

Mmm try to revolt....

...All non Aussies post links to cig ads,

Now close them down and sue us dick head.....good luck.

7. Graham Marsden
    Coat

Is this going to be...

... The Great Smoke Wall of Australia?

After all, there's no smoke without fire...

8. MJI Silver badge

Never seen a fag ad on the internet

Even before I blocked all ads

1. P Zero
      FAIL

Yup

Me either. Not one ever. Just a complete waste of Australian taxpayers dollars.

2. Big-nosed Pengie

This is not a title

The Internet has ads?

9. Scott 19
    Coffee/keyboard

As that..

American bloke over here in the UK' promoting his book says on the cover of said book....

'Don't vote, you just encourage the bas*ards'

And as it becomes more obvious day by day politicians are a complete waste of space, they must justify what they are for daily, shame they do it by drafting such nonsense.

Long live the interweb its death starts here.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Non-change

The change from "tobacco advertisment" to "tobacco advertisment" in 4 Subsection 10(1) is a change in typeface. From italics to non. A HUUUUUUGE change.

11. P. Lee
    Coffee/keyboard

Bring back rule by the monarchy!

QEII would never bother with such claptrap.

If One can't understand it, then it shouldn't be law.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

My Evil Cousin

My Evil Cousin - he is a LAWYER - works in Our Glorious Government's "Public Service".

They get paid by the hour to write this sh1t, so he takes as loooooong as he wants, and writes sh1t like the above quoted excrement. Sorry, "Legislation".

As an aside, his mum (my mum's sister) somehow managed to wrangle the family house off their parents, much to the chagrin of my mum and her brother. Yes, this sounds like 'Eastenders'.

Yes, they are a family of top-shelf white collar CRIMINALS, but then EVERYONE in positions of government in this rat & bed-bug infested hellhole of a country is.

All the above is true, and makes me angry, mostly because I'm related to these tuckfards.

13. Tim Bates

Odd laws

OK, I too have never seen a tobacco ad on the internet. I may be subconsciously ignoring them... But I suspect they don't exist.

This seems to me to be an attempt to be seen to be doing something after the plain packaging thing got retail associations all upset about lost sales (duh - that was the idea of the plan).

What they should do is outright ban the bloody things. They're costing us more than it's worth (as a society).

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

Yea, because prohibition always work

Banning ads, on the other hand, I have no problem with.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like