back to article Nokia X3 Touch and Type

If you think candybar handsets should have touchscreens then Touch and Type should be right up your street. This is Nokia's attempt to breathe new life into the rusty trusty S40 platform by adapting it for a touchscreen interface. The first two T&T handsets to be released in the UK are the X3-02 and C3-01 and it's the former I …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. stucs201
    Thumb Down

Extra 4 buttons?

Nokias normally have 4 buttons above the numeric keypad. Changing the keypad layout and changing the labels of the muti-purpose buttons to a fixed function doesn't make them 'extra'.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What chance Symbian?

This (and the C3) reasonably qualify as smartphones, albeit small-screen ones. Will there really be any space between S40 phones and Meego phones for Symbian to survive in?

3. JDX Gold badge

Haptic feedback

what is it?

1. stucs201

Google is your friend

Basically it vibrates to subsitute for the tactile feedback that a keyboard would provide, but a touchscreen doesn't.

2. hyartep

haptic feedback

little vibration of the phone after tap

4. Alan Edwards
    Thumb Up

I've got a C3-01

which is the same thing in a different body.

All the antennas are at the bottom of the phone, and I've found it affects the signal of both wifi and cellular if I hold it in one hand and stab at the screen with the other.

Camera button - on the C3-01 the camera button is near the bottom on the right-hand side. There is a button level with the # on the X3 - is that not a camera button?

Haptic feedback is a tiny vibration when you click something on the touch screen.

Keyboard - there is an on-screen keyboard in Opera - Settings / Advanced / Opera keyboard -> Always. You need a stylus though, it's too inaccurate with a finger and there's no auto-correct, and it's only available in Opera.

Personally, I'd say it's nowhere near a smartphone. You can't even minimise Opera and do something else, you have to close it. For the money, it's a good phone though.

5. dotdavid
    Thumb Up

Nice phone, shame about the OS

Would be excellent if this ran Meego or Android. This is my favourite form factor (touch/type).

1. Nexox Enigma

nah

"""Would be excellent if this ran Meego or Android."""

I suspect with that relatively tiny battery (~850mAh) Linux just isn't a good option. I really expected to see S60 here, though as I thought S40 was semi-officially killed off.

6. Al Taylor
    Alert

Camera button

That button you can see at lower left is the release for the battery cover. There's one on the left too.

7. ob1

little off balance

x302 now my primary mobi tho it feels a littl off balance ...

would happily trade the xtra screen width gained in the 3x4 keyboard layout (the 4th *#0 column) for the standard 4x3 matrix even if that added to the length. also much needed is a scroll rocker on right side.

sweet ph otherwise and a well balanced review.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like