back to article MS security tool interferes with Chrome and Adobe updates

Microsoft has updated its security protection tools following a glitch that prevented third-party applications – including Google Chrome and Adobe Reader – from updating properly. The Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit (EMET) is designed to thwart a range of tricks used by malware writers to infect systems. However a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

"Microsoft has updated its security protection tools following a glitch..."

The Register seems to have to write "Microsoft has updated its security protection tools following a glitch..." or just that there are new security patches for MS stuff several times a week!

Good old Microsoft. I'm still in awe that there are still people who *want* to use the crap they release!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

not a Microsoft fanboi

But did you even read the technet bulletin? a couple of 3rd party apps have a minor interoperabilty problem and it is microsofts fault? Would you rather they didn't fix the problem?

Still any excuse to roll out the tedious (insert your favourite villan here) bashing.

FYI I have to work with most flavours of Windows, OSOL, and Debian Linux, they are tools to be used and all have weaknesses that need patching at times, some more than others.

1. frymaster

even less than minor

for the chrome issue, it occurs when multiple users are simultaneously running chrome on the one machine, and at least one of them has right-clicked and selected "run as admin" instead of just double-clicking. The scope of the issue is that said users can't auto-update chrome.

The adobe issue is that certain updates would require a reboot.

It's hardly the end of the world, is it?

2. Psymon
    FAIL

I think you'll find...

It's Adobe and googles updating routines which are working in direct violation of the windows architecture.

Adobe are legendary for writing software for the windows platform, that isn't actually compliant with the Windows architecture. Non-standard installers, non-standard interfaces, and of course, non-standard updating routines.

This behaviour was almost acceptable back in the days of Windows 95, when you bypassed the standard windows libraries so that you could tweak your assembler written game kernel to run on a 66Mhz Pentium, but things have moved on.

We use the incredibly powerful SCCM to manage software distribution and updating, but even with amazing tools like that, each new Adobe update makes me die a little inside.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Stop

Yes, how dare they

...write software that stays up to date without you and your team QA'ing, packaging, and managing each distro. Los bastardos!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

how do I disable it?

I can't find the adobe updater in any of the Run keys in my registry. And still, every time I reboot, I get the horrendous red/black window asking me to update Adobe.

3. Darryl
    FAIL

Adobe's updaters

My favourite one these days is the Flash updater that pesters non-admin users to update, and when they agree, partially uninstalls the current version, then fails because it needs admin rights, leaving the user with no flash capability at all.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

re: leaving the user with no flash capability at all.

an improvement then ;)

4. The Fuzzy Wotnot
    Joke

Stops Google and Adobe software working...

...I fail to see the problem here?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like