back to article Bill Gates oils up Microsoft's Lync product

Microsoft released its rejigged office communications server yesterday, which was anointed by none other than William Henry "Bill" Gates III. It has been renamed Lync and according to the company blurb, the software brings together instant messaging, presence, audio, video, web conferencing and voice under one roof. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Herne

Spelling?

There's me thinking it was an upgrade to LINQ.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lync

or otherwise known as MSN?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Horns

Huzzah!

If they are all 'under one roof' it makes it easier to ignore and block! Go MS! No really, go....

4. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Definite improvement from OCS 2007 R2

...but they're also moving into new territory with it in terms of trying to compete with or replace the old, reliable PBXs. In fact, the only voice area they're not trying to move into (yet at least) is enterprise call centers. Typical of Microsoft marketing prowess, they will be getting more than a few punters to bite. My friend at another IT outsourcer told me he had 3 clients ask him this week about installing Lync.

Then core product improvements with presence, IM, conferncing, etc (i.e. everything but voice) are great... but I for one am a little worried about replacing the good old, rock solid and reliable traditional phone systems with Windows. I've been around long enough to know that out of our population of managed environments, we'll see at least one major cock-up and people will go absolutely bat-shit crazy on us for it. If you think it's bad when mail goes down, that is absolutely nothing in comparison to the phones dying.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

been playing with it for a month or 2 now

Its not to bad to be honest but its really just a rebrabded version of office communicator with some enhanced voip and virtual meeting stuff.

PLays quite nicely with sharepoint 2010, tried using it with onenote 2010 as a virtual interactive whiteboard with moderate sucess

but yeah basically msn messenger from 2 years ago slotted into office with a voip stack

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lync = OCS on steroids!

it appears that Lync is a huge step up on the old OCS product we used, so I'm really looking forward to it as it does a better job of integrating desktop sharing and live meeting stuff.

of course the big question is... does it work with Kinect?!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

yes it does!

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/microsoft-lync-to-link-up-with-kinect-via-new-video-connector/8018?tag=mantle_skin;content

2. Anonymous Coward
      Boffin

Yes... it does (or will) work with Kinect!

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/microsoft-lync-to-link-up-with-kinect-via-new-video-connector/8018

7. iamapizza
    Coat

Tried searching

Couldn't find anything about this. Could somebody send me a lync please?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like