back to article Firm claims fake spy rock plane drop prize

A ten-person Arizona based start-up has claimed victory in the annual US Army precision airdrop competition, claiming to have hurled disguised spy sensors from a plane flying at 10,000 feet. The "five pound fake rocks" landed "within ten, seven and three metres" of their intended touchdown points more than two miles away. The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Unofficially?

"Unofficially STARA has secured first, second and third closest distances during PATCAD and more than likely has the record for closest landing for every PATCAD event..."

So no official word yet, and no outside source confirmation of their claims?

Awesome. I claim that, unofficially, I have secured the role of the King of England. I expect an appropriate article expounding my virtues to appear forthwith.

2. Steve
    Thumb Down

How stealthy is that?

Exactly how stealthy is a small rock with a parachute attached to it?

Even the stupidest enemy non combatant is going to figure out that rocks do not normally come with attached parachutes.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Springboard them with Surface to Air

You could have a battery of surface to air launch these into low altitudes too.

4. Mike Hocker
    Thumb Up

New Commercial Delivery Mechanism

While I presume they have already thought of (as in patented) the concept, the robochute would be a way to deliver commercial parcels to remote inaccessible areas or areas for other reasons inaccessible (disaster for instance). Not cheap... but just enter the GPS coords and pay the fee...

5. Alex

the fools! they never counted on my...

field of catapults! right back at ya!

6. Steven Knox
    Happy

"Firm claims fake spy rock plane drop prize"

Lewis,

Is this your entry into the obfuscated title competition?

Firm

claims

fake spy rock

plane drop

prize

or

Firm claims

fake

spy rock plane

drop prize

or

Firm claims fake

spy

rock plane

drop

prize

et al...

7. yeah, right.

@ Knox (obfuscated title)

Sounds more like the Vulture responsible for titles had just finished a 4 hour liquid lunch when this article passed his (or her) desk. After all, it was posted around 5 pm, so they'd probably had quite the head start...

I'm jealous, of course.

8. Big Al
    Black Helicopters

Hah! Britain did it first!

How completely ridiculous.

There was a lot of fuss a little while ago about the *cough* alleged British use of a spy rock in Moscow recently.

Surely it's obvious that this is how it got there?

All hail the British Boffin! ;-)

9. Paul

Re: CSC and World Biometric ID project 'Worldbridge'

I want my post delivered like that! Much more fun that the postie coming to the door, and im sure he wouldn’t mind swapping his bike for a Hercules. That is a good point though, in, for example, Oz, where there is a flying postal service. Add a few of these to a drone, and outlying ranches could get post more often, and at allot less cost.

Also, I can bet "other government departments" are looking at this, not just for those "passport etc drops" but imagine the possibility of dropping a Mic/transmitter discised as a rock in to the gardens of an enemies governmental buildings, or in to the middle of a camp or barracks.

This topic is closed for new posts.