back to article Toshiba Portégé R700 13in notebook

Toshiba first introduced its then ultra-lightweight Portégé R500 in 2008 just before Apple unwrapped the MacBook Air. Toshiba Portege R700 Toshiba's Portégé R700: getting more chubby as the series ages The R500 didn't generate the same media frenzy that the skinny Mac laptop did, but in many ways it was the better machine …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Fuzz

Shame really

I have an R500, it runs Windows 7 no problem. The only thing it could use is the ability to offload h.264 decoding to the GPU and maybe support for more than 2GB of RAM.

Toshiba have slightly lost the plot here, the inclusion of a 32bit operating system in a machine with 4GB of RAM demonstrates this perfectly.

There are loads of 13.3" laptops on sale and most of them don't cost £1600, I'm pretty sure the R500 was the only proper laptop you could buy that weighed less than 1Kg and still included an optical drive.

2. Si 1
    Happy

Am I the only one...

... getting a bit sick of Intel's crappy on-board graphics chips? If a laptop is going to have a multi-core CPU running at multiple gigahertz surely it should have a better graphics chip than one that would have been underpowered 8 years ago.

Maybe it's because I'm a hopeless gamer who can only judge hardware specs on the basis of how well they'll run Crysis?

3. TFk
    Unhappy

Battery Life

That battery life looks really low compared to my R500 - One of the good things about the Ultralow voltage cpu's was I got a good 4-5 hours battery life, in a very light package.

Half the weight again and half the battery life? This new incarnation of the Portegé seems only half as good as the R500 series...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Home user option: Satellite R630

I recently bought the Satellite R630, which is the home-user focussed equivalent. It's missing some business-oriented features (e.g. fingerprint reader and docking station port), but is a lot cheaper.

I was looking for a compact yet high-performance laptop with Intel innards for hopefully-better Linux support.

After my previous laptop's discrete graphics card kept overheating, I welcomed the Intel graphics card. It's performance has been fine for my needs so far.

Mine came with the 64-bit version of Windows 7 Home premium.

Weakest areas in my opinion are the keyboard (it feels a bit cheapy and the bottom-right corner of the space bar sometimes doesn't work) and the very tinny speakers.

5. jamie 5

Battery Life

Any thought to mention how long this thing will go between charges?

1. Tony Smith, Editor, Reg Hardware (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Battery Life

Ahem...

http://www.reghardware.com/2010/11/15/review_notebook_toshiba_portege_r7a00/page4.html

6. John 62

16:9 screen?

don't buy it! demand 16:10

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like