back to article Cloud OS crowd readies own-brand netbook

Jolicloud, the company that offers a cloud-centric Linux distro for netbooks, is getting into the hardware business. It will begin selling the Jolibook later this month. Jolibook appears to be a standard netbook with a dual-core Intel Atom N550 processor, according to the little Jolicloud has said about the spec. Jolicloud …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Jolicloud = good

Many, many times better than Canonical's attempt at a netbook OS, this netbook could be very interesting indeed...

1. cloudberry

how do you know?

Given that the product isn't even available yet, how can you say that it's "many, many times better" than anything else?

2. the peanut
    WTF?

Cloudbook, with erm, a big hard drive

If I was to seriously consider a (near)disposable cloudbook, then 16GB of flash storage would be fine thank you - not really sure what I would need 250GB drive for.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

250GB

Dual Boot a proper non-cloudy-lets-store-your-stuff-on-someones-server Linux. Triple boot XP if you *really* need windows.

The obligatory OS2 and 3.1 VMs.

A few videos, a few mp3s and there's yer hard drive gone!

3. heyrick Silver badge

I can get maxi-size chips for €2,40 from McDonald's

I'd pay twice that for a cloud based computer. :-)

4. DUNCAN E.
    Thumb Down

Totally wrong specs, complete fail

I have running Joli since before 1.0

On an N230 chip

Why have they twined this with a dual core and massive drive ?

Huh ?

All the advantages of a fast ultra lightweight OS lost

Maybe an Intel Atom Z515 at 1.2GHz and a cheap little SSD with killer battery life , maybe 15 REAl hours plus

shame.

5. Goat Jam
    Paris Hilton

As much as it saddens me to say

but I expect people will buy these in droves and then go straight to loading Windoze on them.

I hope these people are prepared for that and not expecting to subsidize the purchase price of the unit through some other revenue source based on users accessing their cloud with it.

As for putting a spinny hard disk in it that just beggars belief. The atom processor is a bit iffy too but at least it is understandable given the easy access to atom mobo reference designs for them to use.

6. The BigYin

Spotify?

On Linux? So one will need a premium account then I guess. If not, I look forward to being able to run Spotify with my freebie account on Linux (I can use the Windows one under WINE right enough, but that's not the point).

As for this whole cloud thing, I really don't get it at times. I thought the "cloud" was all about server images expanding as demand increases, migrating across different data centres and all that stuff. Really good for SaaS etc, but if a client is going to work with it, it will need an always-on connection. A secure one at that! (Hello FireSheep.)

If this is a true cloud platform AIUI (all work done on server, client is merely a display screen) then why the high-specs? All it would need is sub ~1gb RAM and ~4gb SSD, maybe an ARM chip to boot. Or am I missing something? Are these "cloud" apps just bog-standard, FAT clients that use a server for data? A la Outlook, Rhytmbox and most other things. Would explain the storage I guess....

7. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

"people who live in the clouds"?

So , not just their heads in the clouds?

This is just BEGGING for a stream of silly jokes.

The image shown also suggests something you will NEVER get through customs when manned by the humourless types so often encountered when entering certain countries.

"Why does your computer look like a child's toy, sir? Do you like childrens' toys?"

And from then on the scene gets ugly very quickly.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Moblin ?

Any reason to change from that ? Works nicely enough for me as a netbook OS. Dual booting for when I want to do anything more intense.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like