back to article NEC intros Android tablet 'cloud communicator'

NEC has taken the wraps off its entry into the Android tablet - sorry, "cloud communicator" - arena. Said gadget is branded the LifeTouch, and it goes on sale at the end of the month. NEC said it is aiming the "cloud communicator" - don't mention the T word - at big business, but since it also lists "electronic books, home …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Arnold Lieberman
    Coat

Looks like an overblown Zaurus

800x480 ferchrissake! That might be fine for viewing SD video, but it's useless for pdf/ebook reading duties.

1. David Gosnell

Retina

I wonder if Apple will sue over misuse of the term "retina" with respect to this thing's lousy display. The only regard in which that's a retina touch panel is for those with highly deficient optics (which in fairness would be a pre-req for something so patently ugly).

2. Code Monkey

Apple have won this market

In terms of design, I've not really seen anything to challenge Apple's fondle-slab. I suspect they've won this market, rather like they have with MP3 players; the often technically superior losing out to the beautifully designed iPod.

1. Sean Baggaley 1
      FAIL

"technically superior losing out to the beautifully designed iPod."

For very small values of "superior", presumably.

Newsflash: good usability is no longer an optional extra.

You could build a slate device right now with every single feature the iPad has—and then some—but those features are *worthless* without a good user interface.

It's not as if there aren't any university courses and textbooks on the subject, so there really is no excuse for not having *both*. Anything else is unacceptable.

1. Jazz Kilkullen

It's hard for them to understand what actually makes good UI

It amazes me too, that companies still haven't figured that out. But how do you define "good UI"? It can be done, but you will get a spectrum of answers to that question. Good UI takes far more effort and resources than most people realize.

The problem is, EVERYONE imagines themselves to be UI experts, and to be able to tell whether the UI is "good" or not. You know what they say, "If you don't know, you don't know that you don't know." That also applies to those Steve-Jobs-wannabe-CEOs that think they can tell whether something is cool or not. They can't, even if they wear all the black mock turtlenecks in the world.

2. Goat Jam
      Paris Hilton

Can I assume

that when you used the phrase "technically superior" you were NOT referring to this particular monstrosity?

"The tablet contains 384MB of Ram but seemingly no storage - you need SDHC cards for that. It has two USB 2.0 ports - one big, one mini - 802.11b/g Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 2.1+EDR, a 3MP camera, and GPS. It runs Android 2.1 [and has a] resistive touch screen"

Ewww, if I got one in the proverbial Corn Flakes packet I very much doubt I would use it for one second longer than the time it took to ascertain how truly terrible it is.*

Paris, because she is technically superior.

* But it does have two USB ports! LOOK, MY TABLET, IT HAS TEH PORTS!!!!! YOU'RE FAGGIT IPAD SUX0RS LOL H4H4 P0WNED LUSERS

3. Miek
    FAIL

a tit is required

Oh Dear, it looks rubbish.

4. Bassey

That's Hiddeous!

Title says it all

5. Geoff Campbell Silver badge
    FAIL

In the great world of technology trade-offs....

....that's going to have to be *way* cheap to make up for its deficiencies. Like, given-away-with-breakfast-cereal cheap, I think.

GJC

6. Piloti
    Thumb Up

Looks like I'm on my own again....

..... but I rather like it.

There could be some hidden uses, like PDA usage, for example. Ok, no keyboard, but this could be a pretty useful little 'jack of all trades' device : some music, while you read, synch' to have contacts 'n' tasks ready. I assume email will be straight forward, so why not.

The Japanese do have a habit of making some strange stuff, but they get functionality bang on.

Personally, I have the I-Pad thing. Looks a bit weedy, far too pricey, crap at web [won't render the BBC correct for example] and, frankly, I trust Apple about as far as I can throw them...

I'd but this NEC thing if it were in the £200 range....

P.

7. Llyander
    FAIL

Ewwww.

I have to agree with previous commenters here.

That thing is freakin' hideous. Call it what you will, throw as many arty-farty phrases and management buzz words at it as you like, it's still ugly,

8. E 2

The ossification is astounding!

Are Sony and HP the only computer companies to have learn the lesson of Apple?

It is as important that the product look lovely as work properly. For many market segments, looks are the more important characteristic.

That thing could be the best tablet on the market, but it is ugly!

1. Geoff Campbell Silver badge

Well, to a point....

I'm not sure that products have to look lovely, although that never hurts. But being actively ugly will definitely hurt sales. Neutral looks are probably OK.

GJC

9. Goat Jam
    WTF?

Oh my god

that is one ugly mutha trucker.

That reminds me of the old pre zune MicroPod joke;

http://multimedia.worth1000.com/entries/183163/micropod

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like