back to article Google's $8.5 million Buzz settlement a go

Google announced that it has received preliminary approval for its $8.5 million settlement of a class action brought against Google Buzz, the Gmail add-on that tried to turn the company's online email service into a social networking tool. The settlement received preliminary approval from federal district court Judge James …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Charles Manning

Rule number 1

Don't feed the lawyers!

2. petur
    Thumb Down

in other words...

$8 million goes to the lawyers and $500.000 to the rest. Who won?

1. Atonnis

Simple...

...those who studied Law.

Think I might give up this IT minefield - Law seems to be where the real money is, especially in the US.

3. Peter Laws
    Thumb Down

What is the point

in Buzz anyway?

4. Bilgepipe
    Thumb Up

Ouch

"organizations "focused on" internet privacy or privacy education?"

Ouch, I bet Eric "Just move and change your name" Schmidt ain't very happy with that. Hah.

1. Anonymous Coward
      WTF?

Wouldn't surprise me...

...if Google managed to claim back part of the money as one of those organizations focused on internet privacy!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

Contacted all Gmail users?

Really? I have Gmail multiple accounts used for multiple things (including many system test accounts, thanks to work being tight-wads in the IT stakes) and I have yet to log in to one which has received one of these e-mails, either now or in the past.

I don't think whether or not Buzz is turned on makes a difference, as whilst I've refused to use Buzz on any of my main accounts since the thing was launched, I haven't always bothered on the occasional use ones.

AC for anti-spam reasons, Big Brother for obvious ones ;)

6. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

They contacted mainly U.S. Gmail users...

...as the lawsuit was tried & heard in the U.S., Gmail seemed to only contact its US-based users.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Terminator

The Google's Advocate

is busy silencing the lawyers with money. But this was a criminal act purposefully committed by Google that damaged some people's lives. Another travesty of justice, oh well, nothing to see here, and let's just keep on lecturing other countries about human rights...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like