back to article AMD ships first Fusion processors

AMD has — finally — shipped its first Fusion processors, years after they were first announced. Better late than never. "As of 4am Central Time, our facility in Singapore, our test and manufacturing facility, shipped the very first Fusion APUs — production units — to customers worldwide," AMD senior vice president and general …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Giles Jones Gold badge

Late to the party

It might be a first for the desktop/laptop market but for handhelds there are chips that do pretty much everything in one chip.

It's amazing the desktop market is so slow to catch up, it's obviously going to work better if you can cut out a lot of slow external buses.

1. Charles Manning

Should help power

External buses require quite a bit of power to drive the buses. Keeping these on-chip gets rid of a lot of power consumption. Pin-count and package count is reduced which should cut down on cost.

Might end up being good for those all-in-one systems and lower end desk/lap tops.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Big difference

System on a chips are not even close in terms of raw power as these little buggers. They tend to be a average processors with shitty little graphics power. If I'm not wrong, these are decent* processors combined with decent* graphics. If memory serves me correctly, they will be able to hook up with "external" cards and massively improve performace.

*Decent = what 99% of people will be happy with.

1. Nigel 11
        Thumb Up

Netbook on a chip?

9W, 18W is netbook territory. If they signifcantly outperform Intel's Atoms (especially on graphics) then they might be the key to getting acceptable performance on a Netbook running Windows 7.

2. Daniel B.
    Coat

Zacate?

That's one word for 'grass' in Mexican Spanish. Should I keep my APU out of reach from my lawnmowwer, then?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Black Helicopters

Slang

"Grass" has other meanings; will the rozzers be interested??

2. TeeCee Gold badge
      Coat

Re: Zacate?

Hmm, makes you wonder just what they were smoking when they came up with these names.....

1. Andy Miller
        Black Helicopters

I don't talk to no sticking grasses....

Maybe it keeps Foggy Bottom informed of your activities?

3. The Nameless Mist
    Badgers

APU

what .. they've got an Armored Personnel Unit built in?

WOW! I'm impressed.

4. GoFasterStripes
    Grenade

Oh yeah?

Oh, so ARM isn't going to take over this year either? Boo...

Best of luck to AMD though.

5. DRendar
    Flame

HTPCs

These would be ideal for use is low-power, small size HTPCs

Well... they *would* if AMD/ATI pulled their fucking thumbs out of their arses and released a driver with access to an HD decoding API. (that actually works)

NVIDIA released VDPAU donkeys ago and within WEEKS the Open Source community was able to use it.

More than a year after AMD release VAAPI and it still produces hundreds of rendering bugs - making it as useful as a chocolate teapot.

My HTPC running XBMC at home can decode a 1080p x264 MKV with the 1.8Ghz single core CPU bimbling along at about 5% utilisation. The heavy lifting is offloaded through the VDPAU API to a fanless GeForce 9400, which cost me about 30quid over a year ago.

I've yet to hear of anyone who's got hardware accelerated video decoding working reliably on ATI GFX hardware in Linux/BSD

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like