back to article Assange could claim Swiss asylum

Transparency campaigner Julian Assange may seek political asylum in notorious Alpine secrecy stronghold Switzerland, he has claimed. Apparently without irony, the Wikileaks founder told a Swiss TV news programme he is mulling throwing himself on the mercy of the hush-hush cash stash. "That is a real possibility," he said. "I' …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Don't give it to him.

A few weeks/months picking up soap for big bubba might just shut him up.

2. amanfromearth
    Big Brother

Better places

I'm sure the Russians would give him asylum, with his easy access to US secrets ..

1. Anonymous Coward
      Grenade

The Russians don't have an internet connection?

This Assange obsession is a complete ad-hom

Why would those in favour of the establishment, military tech, and policies involving "projection of power" focus of the messenger rather than the message?

Contrast the coverage given to a whistle-blower for the amount of harm they've done....compared to the amount of coverage given to FF incidents, collateral damage, murder of hotel receptionists, torture of detainees and so forth. Two wrongs don't never a right; but the proportionality speaks volumes. Military chiefs suddenly concerned over the safety of tribal chiefs, in light of the lacking the basic courtesy to accurately monitor the civilian body count?

I'm amazed he's not been accused of being a member of Al-Quieda yet; 'cos if he were a damn pinko, liberal-fascist, stateless, smug, intellectual, paedo-terrorist that would invalidate everything that was published, right?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Irony

Given that Switzerland is a Police State. He needs a police certificate when applying for permanent residency. He has to register where he is living with the Police every time he changes living arrangements.

1. amanfromearth
      FAIL

Bollocks

In Switzerland you have the register with the Gemiende, which is the local authority.

Nothing to do with the police.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is that 'asylum' or 'an asylum', exactly?

Perhaps he should go to an asylum for a bit, learn how to keep his ego in check.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What game is he really playing?

Whatever it is, his game doesn't seem to be too successful. Without shouting from the top of his house of cards that he's gonna do this then gonna do that, only to follow up with clumsy and weak attempts that predictably get rebuffed, he might've managed to take up residence in Sweden. He apparently doesn't understand that media attention is a two-edged sword even as he's being cut by it. Yes, the USoA military are jittery and yes they're more than a little likely lying through their teeth and pushing misinformation too. But they're past masters at that game and have far more room for (re)covering errors than anyone else. And then Assange paints himself the rank amateur such that his own mob is deserting him.

What gives, Julian? You really do want to burn as a martyr, don't you?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Are you all USA stooges?

The level of ignorance about, e.g. police states etc. and the sheer malevolence displayed ....

7. Rogerborg

I eagerly await the People's Front of Wikipedia

Mostly so I can say "Told you so", which I did, about 3 nanoseconds after first reading a profile of Saint Assange and spotting a mental in the making.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Emigrating to Switzerland

See http://tinyurl.com/y9y6e8g

which downloads the Swiss government document "Living and working in Switzerland".

9. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

God help them..

Assange is in principle in a number of countries a criminal for what he's done. Unlike people seeking REAL asylum he had a choice.

If you can't handle the heat, stay out of the kitchen - if don't want to do the time, don't do the crime.

I'm positive the Swiss can allow him to stay, but as far as asylum status is concerned I think he's barking up the wrong tree, and not just because it would be insulting and an abuse of the asylum process. He forgets that he's in a land that had to suffer economic espionage through the theft of confidential information.

I really don't think that one is going to fly.

10. Collins Coo

ASSANGE

He should be brought up on espionage charges if even one person has suffered due to his releasing of information being named or described in military documents.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like