back to article Teufel System 8 THX Ultra 2 home cinema speakers

German speaker folk Teufel are promoting the System 8 as the world's smallest system to have received THX Ultra2 certification. But don't get the idea that this is a discreet system. It's a monolithic stack of boxes that will demand attention in any room that's much smaller than an auditorium, including a subwoofer that looks as …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jan 0 Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

Stick with similes you understand

> "Like sitting behind the wheel of a sports car on a motorway, it's not so much the speed that impresses, it's the potential"

You and Tony Smith should get out more. Have either of you driven a sports car on a road that might realise a sports car's potential?

Paris, because she might know.

1. Tony Smith, Editor, Reg Hardware (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Stick with similes you understand

Let me gone on record to say I have never driven a sports car full stop. I am offended by the suggestion that I have, and this message and the name of the poster have been passed on to my lawyers: Sue, Grabbit and Runne. :-)

1. Jan 0 Silver badge

What happened to those nice up arrows for subthreads?

I refer Sue, Grabbit and Runne to Tony Smith's recent article "Seat in sexy e-sportster shock"

where he appears to at least _want_ to drive a sports car.

I need a barrister icon.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Halo

Has it got

an iPod dock?

1. Gary 24
      FAIL

Re: iPod Dock

No it donesn't have a iPod dock.... you need a THX certified receiver / processor / poweramp set to power these. Plus why would you want a iPod dock with these, the sounds too rubbish from a iPod. Stick to Audio CD's :)

1. NogginTheNog
        FAIL

Erm...

I think the OP was being funny?

I'm not sure whether the FAIL is for their misfire, or your misunderstanding ;-)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Cars and cinema systems

The difference is that an Aston DB9 looks cool even when stationary in a traffic jam but a home cinema system with an idiotically high power output just looks like a pig-ugly selection of large boxes festooned about your lounge.

The girlfriend will no doubt be hugely impressed when you start banging on about the power output that you can never actually use because the neighbours will be around in a flash with flaming torches and pitchforks asking you to turn that sh1t down!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Stick with similes you understand...

A simile is, well, like a simile.

And rather than:

"I have never driven a sports car full stop"?

didn't you mean to say:

"I have never driven a sports car [at] full speed"

1. Tony Smith, Editor, Reg Hardware (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Stick with similes you understand...

No, I mean I have never driven a sports car.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Paris Hilton

Re: Stick with similes you understand...

The term 'sports' get widely over-used with cars. An Aston Martin DB9 is not a sports car, it's a Grand Tourer. The DB9 RS is the sports version of the DB9. Names like Reynard, Van Diemen, Caterham, Radical, Ultima signify sports cars. When my brother-in-law refers to his Hyundai as his sports car I have to bite my fist. An family car with bigger wheels and un-necessarily hard suspension does not qualify it for a sport badge IMO.

... and that's what the THX Ultra2 signifies: Quality sound against fake plastic show-off looks and mediocre performance. Wish they'd enforce some sort of certification like THX for these so-called 'sports' cars

5. Slartybardfast
    Grenade

Revenge

A set of these connected up to an appropriate amp and connected to a CD source playing The Small Faces, Lazy Sunday Afternoon, on infinite repeat, very loudly for a couple of hours, whilst I go out. That should sort next door out and remind them that the walls are quite thin.

"Wouldn't it be nice to get on with me neighbours

But they make it very clear they've got no room for ravers"

He He

P.S yes, yes I know that H&S would probably break the door down but own can dream...

1. Annihilator
      Go

Alternative

The scene from Attack Of The Clones with the improbable "seismic charges" on repeat. Admittedly, while you shouldn't be able to hear them, they do make the coolest (and loudest) bassey noise imaginable.

I approve of your plan regardless.

6. Stuart Archer

Ahh

At last, a speaker system for the age of austerity :)

7. Lottie
    Coat

But why...

.. is Calculons evil brother posing as a sub woofer?

8. TkH11

Flat diaphrams

Helps control phase shift do they? Gimmicky.

I have a set of Dynaudio Acoustics professional grade active studio monitors, fairly pricy and weight wise, the 8Kg or so of these ones is light by comparison. The Dynaudio weigh in at 23Kg each.

And they don't have flat diaphragms and I'm willing to bet they sound a fair bit better than these ones.

If you stick to good solid design, speaker design and design of the electronics active filters on the inside, you don't need gimmicks.

9. Heff
    Coat

the only question I have

is how many wall outlets does it need? yes, Im serious. its supposed to be a home set.

also @tkH11 : you dont need gimmicks? have you ever heard a set of B&W 800's?

10. Peter Kay
    Thumb Down

Only for those with too much money and not enough sense

For the price, a buyer would be better buying a decent amp and separates.

Given that this is basically a premium product designed for a large room, it's difficult to know who the market is. It's not for the absolute novice because it doesn't include an AV amp, neither is it for a well heeled consumer in an average sized house because the hardware is overspecified for that. That leaves wealthy consumers with a large lounge - and such people would be better advised to pay someone to specify and install a 7.1 system (if you've got the space, why bother with 5.1?)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like