back to article PARIS nursing mother of all hangovers

The Paper Aircraft Released Into Space team is this morning nursing the mother of all hangovers following yesterday's triumphant conclusion to our audacious space plane mission. For those of you looking for a once-in-a-lifetime moment, try recovering a paper aircraft which has flown from 60,000 feet to a gentle touchdown in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Bruno Girin
    Thumb Up

Hooray!

Can't wait for the pictures!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Great!

Awesome

More Photos!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Felicitaciones!

Enhorabuena a todos...

Espero que las resacas no esten *tan* malas...

Excuse pidgin Spanecian - but well done, a great accomplishment...

Looking forward to PARIS spreading her, er, wings, again...

1. Vincent Ballard
      Happy

Resacas

Si es verdad que celebraron con champán no deben de tener resaca.

Although I hope, Lester, that when you said "champagne" you were abusing the term in the Spanish way and really mean cava.

4. MrCheese
    Heart

Now that's some real engineer's talk

"Jose Manuel deserves a special mention for his balloon-handling technique, which involved calmly smoking a cigar with his free hand while noting: "Well, it's not hydrogen, is it?""

Awesome, just awesome :D I can't believe PARIS appears to have missed all obstacles on her descent, baffling!

1. Slartybardfast
      Happy

Missing the trees

Well of course despite all the electronics on board you could never replace the real pilot when it comes to tricky landings.

5. Tim Bergel
    Thumb Up

Fantastic location for the launch

what else can I say. Really looking forwards to more photos and the video.

Are you going to try for launch #2 or will Vulture 1 now be retired?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Damn work firewalls rejecting Flickr

more pics here please!

+1 Internets to Jose Manuel for noting: "Well, it's not hydrogen, is it?"

7. Woodgie
    Thumb Up

Top hole chaps

I can't WAIT to see the footage.

"Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth..." etc.

A new Icon is in order, methinks.

8. rpjs
    Coat

Quarantine?

We've all seen the movies. What quarantine protections have you taken with your passenger sent to the edge of space?

Keeping an eye on the media for reports of zombie Playmobil outbreaks in Spain.

9. Hedley Phillips

Congrats

Fantastic achievement.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Uh oh!

PARIS's flaps have jammed!

11. simon 43
    Pint

Fantastic!!

Well done chaps!

Last I saw yesterday was that she was lost somewhere over Spain - so this really is a welcome sight; PARIS lying a kimbo in the woods on the front page of El Reg!

Congrats to all, and get the pics/vids up! We have a right to see them you know!

12. Keith T
    Paris Hilton

Congratulations gentlemen on a job well done !

Let's have some ideas for the next impossible project?

- Making an Adobe product secure for 3 months?

- If that is too difficult, maybe sending a paper aircraft to Neptune.

1. AlgernonFlowers4

The Next Impossible Project?

PARIS to Uranus?

13. Ian Yates
    Joke

Video

This better be better quality than the last video I saw of Paris.

What? Not that Paris? Oh, nevermind...

14. Captain TickTock
    Pint

Friday

A great time for good news. (Couldn't of timed it better if you'd planned it... or did you ;-)

Beers all round

15. DI_Wyman
    Thumb Up

Fant....

...bloody...tastic.

Well done all!

:-)

16. Ivor
    Paris Hilton

Telemetry

Awesome! Is there any telemetry for the plane logged at all or did the gps just not function?

17. ldeffenb

Congratulations!

Extensive preparation almost invalidated by customs delays, launch logistics in a foreign country, concerning lack of signals from the plane, and in the end, full recovery (at least, when the hangover clears). All in all a great day's fun!

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Watching for the next launch!

18. Locky
    Paris Hilton

Playmobile reconsturction

Or it never happened....

19. 88mm a.k.a. Minister for Misbehaviour
    Paris Hilton

Party

Hmm, Paris, Champagne, Balloons and cigars... sounds like my kind of gig :-D

Paris 'cause she can smoke my cigar

20. Alex C
    Thumb Up

heh

Well done lads - worthy of an appearance on top gear I'd have said.

Huge congratulations.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Agreed!

This beats Top Gear's recent cross country chases hands down!

Would have been better if the chase car was a Lambo, I suppose...

21. Ian Ferguson
    Thumb Up

Hurray!

Looking forward to pictures... and this time you won't even have to make Playmobil mockups!

22. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

OK...time to start the conspiracy theory

MrCheese makes an interesting point that the craft seems to have avoided all obstacles. It looks to be in very good shape for its ordeal, and where it appears to have landed. That, and the absence of telemetry/location data during the "flight" does make me start to wonder if this happened at all.

That "we've lost her", "we think we've picked up a signal", "got to her" thing was almost as per a movie script

Looking forward to seeing some evidence

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: OK...time to start the conspiracy theory

Yes, we just loaded the plane in the van, went for a couple of beers and then planted it in the woods. En route, though, we came across a UFO crash site, killed all the locals who witnessed the prang, and then flew the remains of the intergalactic casualties to Area 51 on our black helicopter.

We did, of course, have to spend two days faking the PARIS launch photos, as well as those of the plane construction, because neither of those ever happened.

All we have to do now is rub the memories of the people who know the whole thing was a pathetic set-up aimed at getting page hits, and we're sorted.

I don't exist either, actually, and I simply invented an imaginary PARIS project to feed an imaginary internet feedback loop of deception.

1. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Re: OK...time to start the conspiracy theory

OH MY GOD. THE SCALES HAVE FALLEN FROM MY EYES.

Does... does this mean... the payload really *was*... DRUGS?

2. Slartybardfast
        Happy

Ha

I Knew It!

2. Bill B
      Black Helicopters

Set-Up

I agree. The photo is quite clearly staged to make it 'look' as if the happy rescuers have spied the aircraft and are running towards it. However, it's obvious that the cameraman has just put the plane on the ground and told them to walk away a bit and then run joyfully towards the camera.

In addition its completely impossible for the aircraft to have come down in a thick pine forest without bouncing off some branches and sustaining more damage than a small hole. There is no trace of skid marks on the ground. The 'loss of telemetry' is suspicious (yeah right) and anyway the shadows are all wrong.

It's plainly obvious that this is a fake and anyone who disagrees is an idiot and in the pay of the government. and probably a Thetan as well.

Damn this tinfoil hat scratches

Re: Set-Up

Getting those fake shadows right is a complete pain. NASA had an unlimited budget and they screwed it up, so give us a bit of leeway here...

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

There is no trace of skid marks....

Seems like the only person would be our intrepid playmonaught to have skidmarks.

No worries about the tinfoil, yo're "Cleared Theta Clear".

Yours Sincerely, Tom (Thetan) Cruise.

23. Cliff
    Pint

Congrats guys

Seriously, I've really enjoyed the PARIS project, wonderful.

Now do we get the LOHAN project next (crashes more, bumpier design, affinity for other planes)

1. Sir Sham Cad

Low Orbiting Hollow Airfix Nimrod

Assuming liquid poly will survive the ascent and the enamel paint... NO. Leave the brilliantly mad stuff to El Reg.

Congrats again to everyone involved.

1. Mephistro
        Thumb Up

A suggestion:

Instead of a plane, the LOHAN project could be a rocket.

Ms. Lohan + several weeks in only-beans diet + ignition source = The cheapest rocket design EVER!!!

You'd only have to add some structure to keep her upright, and a restraining system for her legs, so that when they are released they can act as aerobrakes.

The scientific benefits of this project would be immense. The human mean IQ would raise several % points, and that has to be good for Science!

24. The Jase

Hmmm

I haven't see any inflight pictures yet. What does the footage reveal? What is El-Reg hiding from us? The truth is out there!!

25. Mike Hunt 1
    Paris Hilton

Paris Landing

Well done - from what I have seen previously of photos of PARIS the I am suprised it got to the floor and didn't impale itself on the nearest upward pointing object !!!

26. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Que viva el buitre!

Can we get a couple closeups of Yolanda?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

And..

.. a couple of close ups of Lester

Re: And..

Not until I go for my annual face peel, nip-and-tuck and botox. Details here: gettingoldishitisntit.com

2. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: Que viva el buitre!

She says no, unless you want to pop into the bar for a face-to-face.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Pint

Re: Re: Que viva el buitre!

"She says no, unless you want to pop into the bar for a face-to-face"

That's a long trip for me! Oh well, "We'll always have PARIS"

27. Tim #3
    Pint

Rather impressed

by such a safe landing of all parts. For that plane to come down from about 12 miles up & land in that state unaided (except by the brave pilot) is a stark contrast to my brother's radio controlled ones descents from maybe 30 feet.

The photos/vid of Paris's moment of release is as eagerly awaited as ever.

28. Magnus_Pym
    Happy

charts of telemetry

Just done a couple of quick charts to plot distance against elevation and time against elevation. Not great but a fun to keep us going until the real gen arrives.

http://rapidshare.com/files/427789104/RegBalloon1.JPG

http://rapidshare.com/files/427789207/RegBalloon2.JPG

29. ian 22
    Pint

Que viva Espana cabrones!

BTW, is Bar Tito also called Mission Control?

Hoisting a glass of Old Rocket Fuel to your success!

Re: Que viva Espana cabrones!

It is. Tito is the man, and also the supplier of all beery goodness. A tip of the hat to him and his equally enthusiastic countrymen for their support.

30. Andus McCoatover
    FAIL

I told you...

...the conspiracy merchants would pop out of the woodwork.

I note they don't use their real name, unlike me*.

AC didn't use the 'troll' icon as I suggested. I think "he's not the Messiah, he's just a very naughty boy"

As an aside, I think QinetiQ and Blue Tree Travel Services (the sponsors, IIRC) would possibly have monitored this rather closely, as they seem to have stuck quite a bit of wedge , effort and time in this project - esp. QinetiQ.

So, I think the Conspiratory crowd can sod off and stay there.

(OK, I asked a previous manager of mine from a different company - now in - QinetiQ, if they had a hypobaric chamber loafing around, and why, at the time Lester and his motley crew were looking for one. He told me that they were quite short of folks at the moment, but maybe he chatted to a few colleagues about PARIS , and they decided to put a few extra hours their of spare time into it).

*Oops....Well, at least I'm consistent.

31. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Paris Nursing Mother ...

You owe me a new keyboard - title rather caught my eye until I read the rest.

32. ken459
    Thumb Up

Congratulations

This is the sort of thing that makes us all a little bit younger. Many thanks to all who have been involved. Looking forward to the rest of the pictures.

33. Uncle Vanya

If a paper plane falls in a forest...

and there's nobody there to hear it, does it make a sound?

The old conundrum remains unanswered, if slightly updated.

1. Tim #3

hmm

I don't know about that one, but I am pretty sure that Paris has been involved many times with the sound of one hand clapping

34. Bracknellexile

When I get old...

I wonder how many of the trees in the landing zone saw Vulture One go past and thought, "That's what I want to be when I grow up!!"

35. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Good job, those guys!

Well deserved kudos and hurrah.

36. SteveD
    Paris Hilton

Plane landing site

For those of you who want to see, the plane landing site is now showing on APRS as an object. Will sort the payload site tomorrow, I have had a long trip back home (12 hours)

And for the person who thinks it's ok to pull personal messages from the APRS system and post them in the comments sections of the Reg, without asking if it was ok, it's not it's bloody rude. And as they were out of context misleading.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Unhappy

APRS

Seems a bit harsh/tetchy complaining about privacy when you are using a system that broadcasts your comments worldwide to anyone with a radio or a PC. (licence not required)

Looks like there was nothing misleading and nothing out of the PARIS context reposted.

I think Ham's should think twice about their use of the internet it's not like the radio club (licence required). Unless you secure it, it's a big open (usually friendly) world.

37. Captain DaFt
    Thumb Up

Great job!

And Kudos for all involved!

Now, just waiting for the pics from the balloon, and a postmortem of the planes gear.

Frankly, I'm amazed that what amounts to a prototype craft performed as well as it did, and the pilot/playmonaut's a brave bugger for going up in a crate like that! (BTW, I never did catch his niame... )

38. A Known Coward
    Headmaster

Video @ 25s and 52s - hole already in wing?

In the release video at both 25s and 52s as the left wing briefly enters view there is a blemish/reflection off a point which appears to exactly coincide with the hole shown in the photograph. Could it be that the damage occurred during release as the plane banked sharply to the right bringing the left wing into contact with the underside (corner?) of the release mechanism box?

So maybe the damaged was caused either before release or during release and not upon landing?

Either that or they used the damaged plane to hastily fabricate the release footage ;)

39. Tony Smith 1
    Happy

Video!!!!!

Awsome slomo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkCi0JJkNeM

40. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Test flight...

Given the absence of a test flight, how about seeing if it is actually capable of flight or if it just dropped slowly?

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Looking at the video

it clearly did not drop, but glided neatly.

BRILLIANT!!

41. Kurgan
    Thumb Up

From the video...

From the release video, it seems that the plane can actually fly and not just fall.

42. Linbox
    FAIL

Erm .... guys?

Not sure who lives in that nice looking house with a huge front garden on Dartmouth Road, Broadsands, near Paignton in Devon, but they should maybe think of turning the GPS tracker off...

http://aprs.fi/?call=G6UIM-9&mt=roadmap&z=10&timerange=3600

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That'll be radio man Steve.

Carefull though, its rude to spy on people/repost the information.

(even if they feel the need to tell the world)

This topic is closed for new posts.