back to article AT&T bestows international wireless plan on American iPhoners

AT&T has thrown a bone to all those iPhone owners complaining about ridiculously-high international roaming charges. Today, the big-name wireless provider announced two flat-rate international data plans for American iPhoners. When visiting 29 countries across the globe - including Mexico and Canada as well as parts of Europe …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Charlie Clark Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

What's flat rate about a 50 MB cap?

Doesn't the American advertising standards have something to say about that? Not that the fan boys will mind. Maybe Paris Hilton should be the face of the iPhone?

2. JeffyPooh

In Canada...

In Canada, you can use your mobile phone to access the 'net. It cost 'only' $0.05 per kilo (NOT MEGA) byte. One MB will cost $50. Once month of browsing might cost $685,595,000,000,000 plus tax. If you plug your laptop into the phone, and then download your monthly Windows and Microsoft and security updates, it would cost you approximately ALL-THE-MONEY-IN-THE-UNIVERSE.

3. Dave Gnotta

Data package helps ... but what about LD & roaming on the actual calls!

Before getting my iPhone I was with Verizon where for an extra $39.99 per month I got no roaming and no long distance on both my data AND my phone calls.

I travel extensively to Canada for my business and was one of the ones who got zapped with ridiculous charges.

While I still have my iPhone for use in the states I have had to get a Verizon phone as a second phone for when I travel to Canada.

This is a nice start ... but they need a better plan for calls as well!!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

iPhone Data Roaming

First, the so called deal is very expensive, when taking the bandwidth cap. And the fact that its slow as paint drying. You can be quite easily fooled into exceeding it - a large attachment might download for hours without being obvious. And frankly you might as well buy a monthly Starbucks account as an alternative, if you'r not in hotels or workplaces where Wi-Fi is not available.

The thing to do is to turn the Data Roaming to "off" in the network menu of General Settings. This was the recent addition by Apple, I assume prompted by the many complaints.

5. William Bronze badge

Some serious Apple fanbois here at the Reg

My previous comment got deleted because I criticised the iPhone as being for fashion victims only.

Let's hope that knob jockey has gone home and some with a sense of reality decides for the better that freedom of speech is far more important than censorship. Even if my post was tosh, it deserves to be heard.

6. George Brown

Talking of people being stupid...

How about buying a phone that doesn't have a vaguely decent international roaming tariff?

Or as mentioned above, are they fanboys who don't feel complete without the latest bit of kit? Act in haste, repent at leisure..

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Zune fanboi alert

"Some serious Apple fanbois here at the Reg

By William..."

William, they need you at the Zune forums pronto, seems they want to get some more close-up shots of your Zune tats.

8. Soruk
    Flame

@ JeffyPooh

$0.05/Kbyte? That's a 25% hike over what it was on a Fido PAYG SIM I was using while out there. Which, apart from a (now plugged) hole in their proxy was also 4 times as expensive as using my Virgin Mobile UK SIM on roaming...

The hole? They weren't accounting usage of HTTP CONNECT sessions over their proxy. Nice while it lasted.

9. pctechxp
    Alert

no difference between Apple and Microsoft

They are both run by greedy billionaires, it seems that most Apple fans seem to conveniently forget that.

As for my own position, I use whatever device gets whatever job done.

I own an ipod shiffle simply because it is a small MP3 player and clips to my clothing so that I can listen to my MP3s while working on a task.

I use a Windows based PC because it runs the applications I need.

I have a Sony Ericsson phone because it has the features I want and does it's job well in my opinion.

I have a Xerox flat panel monitor again for the same reason but have a Samsung LCD TV.

I could go on but it's be boring.

I get really fed up of reading posts by people who cant spell (the occasional typo should be allowed) accusing other people of being Microsoft or Apple fanbois (I think you mean fanboys), yes there are the Microsoft and Apple die-hards who should be pitied but if you are an intelligent person why are you wasting your time commenting on these people, make an intelligent comment instead.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like