back to article Notorious Anonymous hacktivists launch fresh attacks

Hacktivists from the loosely-banded Anonymous took out the UK Intellectual Property Office and a Portuguese music industry website over the weekend during the latest phase of an ongoing campaign against the entertainment industry. The ipo.gov.uk and acapor.pt were both rendered inaccessible by floods of spurious traffic in the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. envmod
    Coffee/keyboard

feargal sharkey

i see feargal sharkey every day stood outside the PRS smoking fags. just wanted to tell you all.

1. Gangsta
      Joke

The Title is Required...

NewFags I presume,

the ones stupid enough not to go through Seven Proxies

1. Stone Fox
        Thumb Up

not a title.

Don't you mean 'over 9000' proxies? ;)

2. Chris Hatfield
    Troll

Gene Simmons has threatened Anonymous with legal action & jail time

Check it out: http://www.slyck.com/story2088_Gene_Simmons_Directly_Threatens_Anonymous_With_Legal_Action_Jail_Time

Now 4chan, 711chan, eBaums World and trolls have redoubled their efforts.

Gawker does a great job of explaining why he's possibly a fool: http://valleywag.gawker.com/5666411/gene-simmons-doesnt-understand-the-internet

1. James O'Shea
      Pirate

what an idiot

Exactly how does he hope to figure out who did what when and from where to his site?

pirates 'cause Gene's about to be boarded. Repeatedly. I hope that he's invested in vaseline...

2. Stewart Atkins

Slyck.com?

Slyck.com seems to be currently serving up its php as text files instead of executing them, i wonder how that ended up happening.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

Re: "Gene Simmons has threatened Anonymous...

...with legal action & jail time"

Gene Summons

3. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Gene Simmons loses his DNS

Currently genesimmons.com seems to be redirecting to thepiratebay.org . One way to make sure his fans can continue to obtain his music, I guess.

As to whether Gene imagines TPB can't handle the traffic, or if his DNS records have been owned I havn't a clue.

1. Scorchio!!

Have another look

It's an even more humiliating view today. It's the cost of these things, isn't it? If these people charged realistic amounts for their product - and I include everyone in the business, from the 'stars' to the companies - then there'd be far less piracy, far less fuss, and far fewer fat cats.

4. sT0rNG b4R3 duRiD
    Paris Hilton

Eh...

Guys.. why the UK Intellectual Property Office ?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

A good question

Seeing as the office registers Patents and trademarks mostly.

Don't know what it has to do with the anti-filesharing brigade.

5. Sir Runcible Spoon

Sir

"Aiplex Software said it was prepared to launch DDoS attacks at Torrent tracker sites that ignored its legal nastygrams"

To assume that all subscribers to torrent sites are members of anonymous and ddos them is tantamount to digital suicide if you ask me.

Talk about boosting their profile and getting more members, not that they need it.

Could someone also tell me how to legally perform a DDOS attack? I would have thought that taking over other people's PC's is definitely in the black-hat, rather than grey-hat, arena (unless they have massive serverfarms dedicated to the task).

It's one thing to suggest taking over the C&C servers of a botnet and fscking them up, but mounting a DDOS and actually announcing (from a legal entity) that you are going to do it is plain nuts.

1. Steve Roper
      Pirate

An answer

You can't legally perform a DDoS attack, because doing so constitutes intereference with a computer system. However, you seem to be a bit confused as to the nature of the illegality. The "botnet" that Anonymous are using is comprised of computers whose owners have voluntarily installed either Low Orbit Ion Cannon (LOIC) or Bandwidth Raper (BWRaep). These programs allow you to specify an IP address and bombard it with spurious requests. After installing these programs, people go onto the Anonymous forums and boards for instructions on where to aim them.

Consequently, Anonymous' members haven't broken the law in terms of hijacking people's computers into a botnet - the "botnet" members have joined voluntarily. That said, it's still illegal to maliciously send spurious requests to a web server, so people using LOIC or BWRaep are doing so at some risk to themselves.

Interestingly, the copypigs are also breaking the law by DDoSing torrent sites. However, given that the law exists only to enslave the commonalty and doesn't apply to the corporate nobility they won't ever be prosecuted for it.

2. Stone Fox
      Joke

hmmmm

you could always try asking the 'folding at home' team if you can borrow their horde... :D

6. neverSteady
    Joke

Lame joke alert

He should get himself a T-Shirt, "I was attacked by 4chan, and I still had to pay for this lousy t-shirt"

7. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

KISS my ass

See title

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

".......during the latest phase of an ongoing campaign against the entertainment industry".

one wonders how "artist" will get publicised/published at all, if the profit motive is removed.

what would be the incentive for new groups to emerge?

1. Steve Roper
      Flame

Erm...

That'd be people who actually enjoy playing music for its own sake rather than for the dollar signs?

Maybe we'll start seeing real music appearing again, like it was in the days of Beethoven and Mozart, when copyright WAS about protecting artists rather than greedy corporate pigs, instead of the canned and market-appeal-calculated trash-for-profit we're being spoon-fed now.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

ebaums

ebaumsworld strikes again!

10. JimC

If the Anonymous guys were shills

Of the RIAA etc, attempting to prove that file sharing is closely related to criminality and legislation was needed to abolish net anonymity, in what way would they behave differently?

11. Heff
    Coat

whoops

Dont stoop to to using blackhatter tactics.

because the problem is, a legal establishment with an accessible tax record is always going to lose on the internet against a group of individuals who dont have to pretend to be civilised.

seriously. dont cry about DDoSing. write them a nice letter thanking them that they arent doing what they could be.

my coats the one with the boltcutters in it.

Honestly? the fight with pirates and the IP owning people who act like slapped children reminds me of fight club more and more every day. we make your food, we drive your ambulances....

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmm

Still monday, but only just and lots of torrent tracker sites are still down.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Exciting

The war is really on. I wonder who will be the victor? or even how victory will be judged?

@spoon: DDOS Distribuited Denial of Service.

In a way MPAA/RIAA have already done a DOS attack on sites they have taken down.

As for the legality of taking down a torrent site using DDOS? Well, that'd be tricky if the site fights back in court. Do you think any of them will?

As for the effectiveness of such an attack. Well, the effectiveness depends on the magnitude of the first D. If you have 100 hosts participating, then it will be effective for all of 3 minutes, until these hosts have been identified. Since you cannot legally take over a bot army, you have to buy/lease servers. That becomes too expensive, and still would yield a limited number of ip ranges which again can be blocked in 60 seconds flat. To answer, I don't know what they have in mind, but I doubt it will be a DDOS in the true meaning of the word...

14. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Spy vs yps

Attacking private websites is one thing, going after Gov sites is another. Actions that involve anti-terrorism laws and intelligence agencies rather than civil law and network admins.

Anon been reading too much of "V" and not enough of "Le Carre".

15. Martin Maloney
    Coat

@ James O'Shea

Did you hear that Gene Simmons doesn't know the difference between Vaseline and putty?

Yeah -- all of his Windows fell out!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like