back to article Samsung pushes Galaxy S users a fix of Froyo

Samsung Galaxy S owners will be getting Android 2.2 any day now, pushed out to Samsung's PC software. Says Samsung: "The Android 2.2 upgrade will be available from the [middle] of October 2010 in the Nordic region and gradually rolled out to other European markets, Southeast Asia, the Middle East Asia, North America, Africa …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. gm106
    Happy

Not quite Froyo...

I'm based in Finland. Noticed a new version of the monstrous Kies this morning & upgraded. Kies has been advertising a firmware upgrade for the Galaxy S for a couple of weeks, but this is the first version of Kies that went all the way (fnarr, etc.).

Upgrade went well, but it doesn't seem to be the Full Froyo. Firmware now shown as version 2.1-update1. Kernel version 2.6.29 Build number ECLAIR.POJM1.

Haveing said that there seem to be a fair few changes (haven't gone through all yet) but updated browser, new task manager & voice search apps, rearranged drop-down tabs. GPS a little more responsive too.

So, when is Froyo due...?

2. Jerome 0

pushed out to Samsung's PC software?

What does "pushed out to Samsung's PC software" mean? Does the Galaxy S not update over the air? Does it have to be connected to a PC to install the upgrade?

1. Jack Ketch

Reply to post: pushed out to Samsung's PC software?

It can receive OTA updates, but the SGS has also been designed to use the Kies desktop application for firmware updates (among other things).

Unfortunately, Kies is rather lamentable. It's only available for Windows and doesn't fully support Windows 7 64 (took me a number of hours to find the right workarounds for my system). Still, it's better than having to wait on the carriers and whatever mauled firmware they think their customers should have.

The new Froyo firmware does offer a minor speed increase to unmodified phones; however, Samsung has not addressed the underlying lag issue so the performance gains are barely noticable and the phone still feels sluggish in some areas (considering the hardware).

It's only after applying a lag fix (OCLF*) that I've felt that I'm getting the real potential out of the phone - it really flies now.

*Do this at your own risk.

3. poonab

Not if your t-mobile!

T-mobile have decided to delay the release until the end of november to allow it to work better with the orange network (whoopee doo its only 2g).

More like fill it with bloatware!

4. druck Silver badge
    Unhappy

Re: pushed out to Samsung's PC software?

It doesn't work with <spit>Vista</spit> too well either. You have to dismount the external SD card before Kies recognises the phone, and the only way of remounting afterwords is either to take the back off and reinsert the card, or reboot the phone.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like