back to article Microsoft's Bing to slurp Facebook users' data and likes

Microsoft and Facebook are partnering on Bing, folding in information from 500 million Facebookers into Microsoft's search engine — but claiming they'll respect your privacy. The companies rolled out a feature Wednesday that will search through your Facebook contacts' Likes and fire recommendations into Bing trawled from your …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Cunningly Linguistic
    Black Helicopters

So how much is...

...FB going to earn from their users details then I wonder, because it sure as hell isn't for the user's benefit.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

/me Shudders

Just one more reason not to use Bing

FB is one thing, searches are another

3. dssf
    Pirate

Not long-term? Roight...

"In answer to a question from The Reg, Facebook's CEO made it clear this is not an exclusive, long-term marriage and Facebook is open to working with search partners other than Microsoft. "We are trying to build a platform, so for us this isn't about working with just a single company. Over the long term we would love to work with everyone," he said."

There's a response for that: "Sure, that what swingers and switch-hitters and masqueraders say."

Once you get hooked up like the junkie to the pimp, come back in 3.5 years and tell us how you plan to withdraw something of ms from something of yours (remember, withdrawals have to be slow and stead, or you've got a deadly whoosh and a back-pressure/vacuum that'll rip yer guts in a gust....) and switch to another company of opportunity....

I wonder if fb will make good on maintaining the ability for users to download to a zip file all their links, photos and other content ever posted to fb...

4. a cynic writes...

Life imitates Dilbert

Don't believe me? http://www.dilbert.com/strips/comic/2010-10-13/

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Microsoft and Innovation

I can't read the words Microsoft and Innovation in one article without bursting out laughing

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

Well they did

innovate the most crappiest and most insecure OSes around though.

6. The Fuzzy Wotnot
    Happy

Fantastic news! I am so glad...

...just one more reason to keep the hell away from Facebook and Bing, even MS for that matter!

7. ChrisInBelgium
    Big Brother

We're all screwed anyway

Maybe you think I'm paranoid? Hah, let me give you a couple of examples:

My wife says to me that her Facebook chat no longer appears at the bottom of her window (she uses a Mac and Firefox), so she takes our laptop which has Windows XP with IE, where she says that 'at least' she can chat. So I investigate... change the useragent on the Mac to simulate using IE under Windows and hey, magically the chat-box reappears in the window.

A week later I read in the press that IE has stopped losing market share and has re-gained a little on it's competitors. Riiight! My guess is Microsoft knows exactly how potent half a billion users are and what difference a few well-chosen tweaks can make. But this is all under the radar, and even the IT-press hasn't picked up on this stunt. I think the bond between Facebook and Microsoft is A LOT deeper than they are letting on.

Facebook chenanigans? I only use a couple of games on Facebook, one of these is Bejeweled Blitz. Now, ALL privacy settings in Facebook have been set by me using a fine tooth-comb so not a single application has the right to get my email address. Suprise surprise, this week I suddenly get an email from Bejeweled telling me that so-and-so has bettered my score.

Immediately I go to my privacy and application settings, only to find that Bejeweled has now an extra (NEW) option to let them email me, of course set to 'ON' by default. When turning it off, I get the message that it is basically too late, the application will continue to send me emails until I use the 'unsubscribe' link in one of their mails. Basically, until I confirm to them this email-address is ok, so spam away! The only promise Facebook gives is, if I choose to change my email-address, they will not communicate this address to Bejeweled. What they really mean is 'until we plant another new setting and give your address to anyone we like'! The sick part? The 'new' setting has now totally disappeared, like it was never there.

The lesson is: EVERYTHING you put on facebook is PUBLIC for everyone to see and for every company that is willing to pay for it to take full advantage of.

If you think otherwise, you're very naïve.

1. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: We're all screwed anyway

You may have a point but I think that's a bit of an extrapolation to make from that particular evidence.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

a bit of an extrapolation

Just because he's paranoid doesn't mean they are not all out to get him.

2. ChrisInBelgium

Exactly

Indeed Sarah, but that is just my point. It's the disingenuous way in which these companies act that lets them easily explain everything away and that lets them do this. It is very dishonest but all looks so innocent that it works!

I honestly believe that not many things in this industry happen 'by accident'...

2. EvilGav 1

Not quite . . .

. . . since the chat window works perfectly well for me in both Opera and Firefox on Windows.

I'd look to the other difference as the reason for having issues - namely being on a Mac.

3. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Fools walk in, Smart folks avoid faceplant.

Fools use facebook PERIOD. You have nothing to complain about, you signed up to be screwed anyway that facebook wants and they prove it time and time again.

So stop whining and cancel your accounts if you are worried about it.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

oh. my. god.

Please hurry up with a facebook replacement.

1. adnim

Try

the pub

1. Tom 13

@Try

Not a chance. That's an uber pencil-neck there. They explode in sunlight, even when reflected from the moon. No chance it'll ever come out of its cave.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like