back to article Digital Stream DHR8203U Freeview HD DVR

Digital Stream is not a name that many people will be familiar with when it comes to PVRs – but that’s not necessarily a bad thing; few had heard of Topfield or Humax before their very successful Freeview models appeared in the UK. Digital Stream DHR8203U Fluid design? Digital Stream's DHR8203U The Digital Stream DHR8203U …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anna Logg

Just a few thoughts.

Seems an odd marketing strategy to have two boxes with fairly similar size HDDs and not much price differential between them; just creates extra stock tracking hassle for retailers, I can't see them selling many of the 320GB box when the 500GB is only 20 quid more.

The Vestel SD HDD boxes I use at home also have the same quirk in terms of red button versus 'OK' having different options when recording, makes me wonder who wrote the SW for these boxes.

Will any of these Freeview HD HDD boxes ever be capable of copying recordings without hacking?

1. NogginTheNog

What do you mean by copying?

I had a Technika Smartbox (for only 2 weeks - the iPlayer just kept crashing so I sent it back to Tesco's and got a refund!) and that would export recorded programmes to a USB drive in AVI format with just a click or three. Handy as I finally got around to watching the progs I'd recorded a few weeks after I'd returned the box :-)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You maybe missing a trick

Produce 213 of the cheaper one so it's never in stock. Punters are happy with the extra space for £20.

2. HighlightAll

Where's the DVD drive

Why don't they include a DVD drive?

My mom wants one box that records Free**** and plays DVDs. That's all...

1. stucs201

Er Freeview HD and a *DVD* drive?!

I think people buying a HD box might be a tad more interested in a Blu-Ray drive...

3. Alan Edwards
    Thumb Down

You want an XW-380

> Why don't they include a DVD drive?

That would be a Panasonic DMR-XW380. Which is what I'll probably end up getting..

I'm not spending £280 on something I've never heard of, and looks like it was built in a shed in China.

£150 maybe, but for £280 you can get something you've heard of.

On the price differential - the Panasonic DMR-BW780 and BW880 are the same apart from the hard disc - 250Gb rather than 500. The 880 is £130 more expensive.

4. MJI Silver badge

Not much interest

Compared to the Humax.

So is the Humax worth the extra?

5. Judge

Thanks Nigel

Amazon 15/10/2010

320GB - DHR8503 = £218

500GB - DHR8505 = £275

250GB + DVD XW-380 = £394

250DB + BDR DMR-BW780 = £499

500GB + BDR DMR-BW880 = £630

Seems a fair review to me. Solid performer - Easy to use. Shame it took RegHardware so long to publish it. When Nigel wrote it the Humax had yet to arrive.

Designed in Korea - Built in the UK

6. Nigel Whitfield.

John Lewis bargain

Worth pointing out that, right now, the 500GB version is listed at John Lewis for £199, which makes it a great bargain.

http://www.johnlewis.com/230869578/Product.aspx

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like