back to article Microsoft releases fixes for record number of vulns

Microsoft on Tuesday issued updates that plug a total of 49 security holes in Windows, Internet Explorer, and other software, the largest number of bugs ever to be fixed in a single Redmond Patch Tuesday release. Microsoft classified six of the 49 vulnerabilities as critical, a severity rating that's generally reserved for bugs …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jac 1
    IT Angle

Another record

I think that brings the number of critical updates for Windows XP since Service Pack 3 up to over 100...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Another record

And how many security related (i.e. critical) patches to the latest Debian since its release? Or Mac OS 10.6.4 (in nice 150+MB chunks as it update the whole of iTunes or Safari yet again)?

Fact is, all these things need fixing as issues come to light. Trotting out 'bad windows' or 'good Mac OS' or 'Linux completely secure' doesn't fix anything.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Boffin

RE: Another record

Maybe Microsoft should give some thought to security *before* they release anything else?

Just now, their software seems to leak like a seive!

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re:Another record

"since Service Pack 3 up to over 100..."

And your point is?

Shock horror! Decade old software needs lots of patches.

1. Geoff Mackenzie

XPSP3

is not 10 years old.

2. Mark Aggleton

At least

They call them updates unlike Firefox/Chrome that just have 'new' releases...

3. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Thanks for the tip.

I checked yesterday morning in chase there was an update to Java. There wasn't, but there is now - Update 22.

By the way, can I download one file to install a recently updated Adobe Reader (9.4) on multiple machines, or do you now have to do it online only? I seem to be stuck with that. And yes, I do intend to continue using Adobe Reader.

1. Ammaross Danan
      Go

Title

Adobe Updater downloaded updates for Reader are stored in:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Setup Files

As for Windows vs Linux debacle on "security" based on patch count: tossers. Windows calls them "patches" because they rarely release increased capability outside of major revisions. (Office 2003 to Office 2007, if you can claim "increased capability" in that....), whereas in the *nix/FOSS world, "updates" of minor point revisions are usually "security patches." This disparity and lack of understanding of what the X.XX.XX major, minor, and point-revisioning system actually is representing is a core cause of the fail argument of: "Linux is rock solid! Just look! All they do is update their software with more FEATURES!!! and Windoze just patches their security holes!" Both patch their security holes. FOSS just happens to have the development schedule to do so (arguably) more rapidly. Neither is always a "best" solution. Linux can get a virus just as easily as Windows can. Don't believe me? Send a rootkit to a Linux user and tell them to run it. They won't? Send it to your Grandma running Linux and tell her to run it because you found out her computer had a virus and it will clean it. Sound like the scareware scheme used most of the time in the wild? Thought so.

2. Al Jones

Adobe Reader updater

ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/9.x/9.4.0/en_US/AdbeRdr940_en_US.exe

4. Jacqui

can I just say

full disclosure

5. RobotHead
    Alert

scaremongering again...

securiteam reports 319 current vulnerabilities in linux...

http://www.securiteam.com/products/L/Linux.html

didnt report that did ya reg?

for the record my system is dual boot win7/kubuntu 10.04

1. Anonymous Coward
      Linux

current vulnerabilities in linux

Where do I click to get 'infected', without typing in the ROOT password ?

6. Big Al
    Gates Horns

Patch? what patch?

Still waiting for mine...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Horns

only 1394856 bugs to go !

Maybe they should change the design of Windows so bugs don't have such severe consequences...

8. JoshD

List of Microsoft patches?

Does anybody know of a website that documents all the patches Microsoft has published in the past 15+ years? I would be interested in finding out the total # of patches.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like