back to article Nokia jumps into bed with LightSquared

Nokia will provide a data-centric device for LightSquared's network next year, competing with devices based on Qualcomm's L-Band TDD LTE chips - a Scrabble bag of letters that could do well in Blighty. LightSquared plans to build a national network covering 92 per cent of Americans by 2015 and using ground-component …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Bob H
    Boffin

Interesting

Sounds like the kind of thing that Hutchinson/3 should be looking at to gap fill their network. I think companies would pay a premium for extra rural coverage.

2. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Why won't Nokia buy from Qualcomm?

Why is it safe to assume that Nokia won't buy chips from Qualcomm for this? They settled their patent disputes and Qualcomm even signed up as a funding member of the Symbian Foundation. Nokia has a published strategy to buy off-the-shelf hardware rather than design their own these days...

Having mentioned the Symbian Foundation, I'd expect these devices to run MeeGo, at least initially, for an attack on the US market.

1. retroneo

Infneon more likely

Infineon long ago announced they are making LightSquared chipsets. Nokia already uses their chips in some of their products.

3. mp00

Lightsquared business case???

It does amaze me that Lightsquared is actually going ahead. It is difficult to see how they actually make their business case work aside from low cost spectrum everything else is stacked against them. I assume it's going to go tits up at some point

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like