back to article Duke Nukem Forever demo'd on video

Shot at the FirstLook games convention in Amsterdam, here's how long-awaited Duke Nukem Forever is shaping up. The good stuff's four minutes in.

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. John Tserkezis

I thought it was going to be vapourware

I'm glad I was disappointed.

Looking forward to the Austalian release date (so I can ignore it).

Then looking forward to a week later when the crack to disable the pooncy australian child mode has been released.

Like they did the last time.

2. Alan Bourke
    Thumb Up

The main thing that the whiteboard illustrates

... is how cumbersome console pads *still* are when it comes to FPS games. So glad it's coming out on PC ...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Grenade

Too right

This whole "abandon PC gaming" movement has me worried. I refuse point blank to play any FPS without a keyboard and mouse, screw that!

I have this argument with my bro all the time (he's a console gamer only). With a mouse, I can do a 180 and perfect headshot in a silly amount of time (probably under a second). With a controller, there's a set speed the aim moves at, there's going to be waiting or there's going to be a serious lack of accuracy.

Nothing would annoy me more in L4D than hearing a hunter behind me and being half way through a turn to shoot the bugger as it pounces and tears me apart.

3. Scarborough Dave
    Stop

Duke my old friend!

As a long time Duke Nukem fan from the platform days.

After 15 years of being drilled in saying Chairperson not Chariman and Blocklist not Blacklist, I think I would feel a bit uncomfortable playing game this in todays modern politically correct world.

Also, unless the game designers bring out more inventive play and humour than the already "done to death" Duke having a wee, Duke saying " shake'em baby", then I think it will struggle in sales against the "modern warefare" themes.

Still love the old game the use of mirrors and crouching was miles ahead of Quake at the time.

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Happy

Re: "15 years of being drilled"

Actually the same has had the opposite effect on me.

I take great pleasure in using the time-honoured and correct versions in context whenever the opportunity presents itself. Whenever anyone complains, I get a nice warm feeling from knowing that somewhere along the line I've managed to wind up some pathetic little PC-fixated git.

1. Winkypop Silver badge
        Grenade

Too damn right!

To me PC = Personal Computer, no more, no less

4. Shakje
    Unhappy

Laws of the universe dictate

that the world will end when DNF is released:

I = P/C

I = inevitability of any extremely unlikely event occurring, P = probability of event occurring naturally, and C = relative closeness to release date of DNF. An inevitability <= 1 in this case represents the impossibility of an event occurring, but closer to the release date, I tends to infinity as C tends to 0, so the inevitability of impossible events becomes infinite and everything impossible is required to happen with impossible events occurring randomly in the lead-up as their inevitability slowly rises.

Been nice guys.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Hail To The King, Baby!

Stuff the politically correct brigade. Hopefully this will be a return to real gaming. I'll be there on release day.

Can't wait.

6. breakfast Silver badge
    Terminator

This looks amazing!

A first person shooter in which you can run down corridors, smash crates and travel in elevators?

I can't believe anybody had the originality to think this far outside the box.

1. Aaron Em

Totally unfair!

You're completely ignoring the highly detailed and meticulously implemented "drawing on a whiteboard" simulation, which is certain to revolutionize first-person shooter gaming at least as thoroughly as Quake did, and lead to a whole new generation of exciting virtual worlds based around office supplies and office-related paraphernalia!

And I really love how they've come up with this amazing new idea of making the boss monster a giant rocket-throwing one-eyed beast, and having the final showdown take place in a football stadium, and having the big climax scene being where the boss monster's eye pops out and Duke kicks it through the uprights. I mean, utterly unprecedented! Where *could* these mad geniuses be getting their otherworldly ideas?

tl;dr (in which case give up, there's no hope for you): Wow, it looks like they've done a really good job reimplementing Duke Nukem 3D in a modern game engine, and I look forward to playing it. But didn't they say they were going to be doing Duke Nukem Forever?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

hrmm, yawn?

I hate to say it, but it looks dramatically dull from this footage.

Crates, corridors, boss monsters - ho hum.

Valve has shown us where the FPS can go, the upcoming Portal 2 is where the money is at - the corridor / crate / boss FPS has been done to death.

Early days though, I do hope this doesn't bomb.

8. Nick Davey
    Thumb Up

It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum...

and I'm all out of gum! Looking forward to reliving the 90s, Duke is back!!!

9. Scarborough Dave
    Happy

On another thought! Equality!

Thanks TeeCee!

Nice to know not all of us have complied and bent over and accepted being "rodgerd" long and hard over the political correct indoctrination barrel.

Just a though having just been sent my "Equality Act compliance" from our very nice HR lady (she is a babe!).

I think if I was caught playing this on my own laptop, in my own time, but within the workplace I think I would be liable to some further rodgering over the discplinary barrel.

Crazy world we live in.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

REX HAS SEEN YOU

This game's been in development so long, I suspect that their original choice of 3D engine may be starting to look dated in comparison with more recent games...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_Monster_Maze#Technology

11. bexley
    Unhappy

it looks really boring

doesn't it?

12. A. Coatsworth Silver badge
    Coat

The Mayans had it right!

If the news that Duke Nukem Forever is being actually launched are not a certain sign that the End is Nigh(tm), it don't know what they are...

In any case, I'm getting ready to chew bubblegum and kick ass, at least for the short time we have left

This topic is closed for new posts.