back to article Apple to sell 45m iPads in 2011?

Apple will sell more than twice as many iPads next year as it will in 2010, one market watcher has suggested. Despite the arrival of Android 3.0 and a flood of tablets from rival manufacturers, Apple will ship 45m iPads in 2011, calculates Ticonderoga Securities analyst Brian White. His number for 2010, relayed by Forbes …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. DZ-Jay

Re: 21" screen?

>> "White's mole claims the next iPad will sport a 7in screen..."

Why and how? This implies that Apple will either dilute their brand by offering two very similar models (one of which strangely fits too closely between the iPod Touch and the "normal-sized" iPad); or somehow admit that their best selling product so far is designed wrong by a too big a screen, and shrink it in its next version.

The former would be confusing to the typical consumer because the difference in size is minor, compared to iPod Touch to iPod Nano, or iPod Touch to iPad. The latter is extremely unlikely do to the popularity of the current model and the un-Apple-ness of the option.

-dZ.

1. uhuznaa

7" and 10"

This is much more than a "minor" difference. Apple also sells 13", 15" and 17" laptops and the difference between those is both absolutely and relatively smaller than between 7" and 10".

A 3.5" iPhone and 7" and 10" iPads would be just a sane choice of sizes.

Offer me a 7" iPad with a camera and 512MB (or more) of RAM and I will finally give in and get one.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Interesting

They pay for landfill now?

3. Steven Knox
    Boffin

Wrong Relationship

"He doesn't say which part, but notes that only one is used per device, so possibly the screen."

Well, that's not the right relationship. If he wants a predictive relationship, he needs a part that not only has one used per device, but is not (or cannot be) used in any other device.

For example, there is only one motherboard per device as well, but disassembly of the new Apple TV has shown that it has a very similar board to the one used in the iPad. If this is the part in question, the increased numbers could be based on Apple's plans for the Apple TV.

An even worse (but not likely to be used here anyway) predictor that still fits the relationship described above would be the CPU -- there would only be one per iPad, but many could be used in several different Apple devices.

4. Narg

That's not much...

45 Million? Considering HP or Dell sell billions of computers a year, 45 million is not enough to cause a real dent.

And, DZ-Jay, get a clue. Not everyone fits the same mold. A 7", heck even a 12" screen if added to the selection will sell. Just because it doesn't fit you doesn't mean it's worthless.

1. aThingOrTwo
      FAIL

Where the heck are you getting your figures from?

I always thought PC Sales are ~300 million a year.

And although HP are No. 1 they "only" have 20% of the market.

So a number like 45 million is significant for the iPad.

2. Andrew Williams
      Paris Hilton

Billions?

You're numerically challenged dude. If Dell/HP sold billions per year then every man/woman/child/other would have at least 1 of their PC's in their hot and sweaty little hands, or not.

I'm sure even Paris can count...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

BS

When you have such different estimates it sounds like market manipulation to me.

6. Thomas 4

Was it just me....

....or did anyone else misread the title as 45 metre iPads?

1. Andy ORourke
      Happy

iPhone 3Gs screen size

According to the default info on eBay is:

Phone Screen

Screen Size 35 Inch

However, the overall size might put you off:

Dimensions

Depth 48 Inch

Weight 47 gr

7. E 2
    Happy

OMG!

I read the headline the first time as "45 meter ...".

But even if that were the case, there're iDiots who would buy it.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Agreed

Is there such a gap in Apple's lovely product portfolio?

And while people can not get hands on Apple kit fast enough why disturb or perturb a blossoming product demand?

I'd guess that as soon as a downward blip in sales is observed (whatever the item) a next generation enthuser thing will appear.

On the down side: will such healthy product demand slow down Apple's new products/revised product to market rate?

9. Lickass McClippers

Meh...

...outside of a shop, I've still yet to see one. 45 million units, my arse...

10. Peter 48
    WTF?

how many?

So they expect over 1% of the world's population to own this luxury toy by the end of next year? More than all Iphone sales combined? And they get paid to make these idiotic predictions? how can I get a job like that? That would be like saying that Halo Reach is going to sell 208Million copies annually based on it's first week sales projected over a year.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like