back to article Google eyes search result preview window

Google is testing a new tool on its search monopoly that previews entire pages before you actually visit them. As revealed by the Google Operating System blog — an independent site not affiliated with Google — the web giant is experimenting with a kind of preview window that pops up when you click on an icon next to a search …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Boyd Crow

MORE distractions?

Let me get this straight. Instead of clicking on the "hit" and reading the tiny type as it was originally formatted, we're going to see a SCREENSHOT with even tinier type? Test if you like, just give me an OFF switch.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Actually, could've done with that this afternoon

Seeing the search term in context in its containing page could have been dead useful this afternoon.

Seeing the context would have saved me loading a couple of dozen useless web pages and hunting for the search term only to find it was irrelevant.

And yes, I did consider a more precise search but there wasn't one to be had.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@AC 2259hrs - Try Cached

I find the 'cached' link at the bottom of Google search results VERY useful for this.

1. purplefloyd
          Paris Hilton

I'm confused!

Do you mean the AC at 2259hrs above your post or below it?

... Paris, obviously.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Errrrrr........

Didn't BING do this and automatically download PrOn to your PC?

Not good if you are on a corporate network with monitoring

1. Winkypop Silver badge
      Coat

Don't look Ethel

Too late.

She looked..

3. Annihilator
    Thumb Down

Almost as annoying as..

The stupid web 2.0 fad of having mouse-over triggering a pop-up that previewed the destination of the hyperlink. A massive turn-off...

And not exactly clever. Yes we know Google have got a cache of the search results - how hard was it to put it together??

4. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Google eyes search result preview window

How long before a patent troll sends 'em a lawsuit?

The coat is Google's, and it has a "Sue me" sign taped on the back.

5. Woodgar

Good And Bad Uses

As someone has already pointed out, this could end up downloading and caching on my machine something I'd rather not have on there.

On the other hand, if this stops me having to load up a page that turns out to be yet another of those site scrapers or pseudo search engines that just present me with another bunch of links to click on, then it might not be all bad.

6. Paul Ireland

No direct website thumbnails?

I was hoping to see small website thumbnails directly in the results like www.exalead.com/search but I guess that Google have well and truly shot themselves in the foot and made it difficult for them to implement this because of their introduction of the already bandwidth heavy Google Instant.

Bing should see this as an opportunity, and avoid a google instant approach like the plague, but go down the more visual results route with website thumbnails directly in the results.

7. Paul Ireland

Mouse tracking patent

Moving your mouse over to the magnifying glass icon in the search results, in order to get a website preview, also makes more sense of Google's recent mouse monitoring search/ads patent:

www.theregister.co.uk/2010/07/27/google_patents_mouse_movement_search_tweaks/

8. Smokey Joe

The rise of the..

,,, robots,txt?

9. Matt_W

Nothing new really...

The Firefox extension SearchPreview (used to be called "GooglePreview") insert a thumnail onto Google, Bing and Yahoo search pages.

Has been around for ages...

I'm sure there are equivalents for the other Browsers too.

10. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

why

i think google are trying to hard to try and impress people why car't it be like the old days where google was good for searching what do they now have to start doing all these things to confuse us

11. technical twit
    Gates Horns

Just a Search Engine

Will Google slow down, ok Google has some interesting software but the search engine part should just be a search engine. Eventually you will stick a pad to your temple, type www.google.co.uk and it will read your mind, then you will automatically be taken to the website you want.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like