back to article Miniskirted Brazilian is appealing...

Geisy Arruda, the miniskirted student who was verbally abused by a baying mob at São Paulo's Universidade Bandeirante, aka Uniban, has been awarded R$40,000 ($23,860) damages against the seat of learning. Geisy Arruda in her pink miniskirt Arruda turned up at college on 22 October last year sporting what fellow alumi …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. richard 69
    Thumb Up

it's so short...

that i can see her sugar loaf mountain......

2. DavCrav

Autobiography

Eh? Who would actually want to read that?

1. Evil Auditor Silver badge

@DavCrav

There are loads of books out there of which one might ask this question. I rather wonder how this autobiography can fill a book. Well, in the article it calls 'book' what actually may be a leaflet?

On the other hand, if enough people are curious* about this question she may not just earn her Warholian fame unintentionally but also some serious money.

*no, I'm not curious enough to buy it.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If these are 'damages'

I hope that they have subtracted from the damages the amount she has gained as a direct result of this brouhaha, from aforementioned clothing line, etc. Seems to me that rather than being 'damaged' in some way, she has done rather well out of it. I suspect that if it weren't for this, nobody beyond her circle of family and friends would have any idea who she is. That would certainly put the kybosh on her marketing activites.

4. Piers

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$-TV-Merchandise-Book-etc.....

Golddigger at all?

1. kissingthecarpet
      Stop

Double standards

Do you call men who try to turn a situation to their financial advantage "goldiggers", or do you just call them shrewd?

5. Steve Hosgood
    IT Angle

Compensation Culture Alert

Er - how exactly are São Paulo's Universidade Bandeirante supposedly responsible for the unfortunate woman's ordeal? Did they organise the baying mob or what?

Looks like it isn't just Britain who have succumbed to the blight of the compensation culture. You should surely only be able to sue someone if your bad situation is due to their gross negligence.

Not in Brazil so it seems.

1. Douglas Lowe

RTFA

The university subsequently expelled her after she was hounded by the baying mob. This they would be responsible for, and is presumably what the judge set the compensation based on.

2. kissingthecarpet
      Gates Horns

Because they are responsible

for what happens to students on their campus, duty of care etc. A few insults or a bit of rudeness is one thing, but a "baying mob" is a bit strong isn't it? I wouldn't have expected this to happen on Brazil - I thought they were pretty tolerant of fleshly display - not the Saudi Arabia of the Americas.

I blame Steve Ballmer and/or Steve Jobs for this nonsense

1. John H Woods Silver badge

I'm sure if you google...

... you can find the original video. I pretty much recall it as being towards the baying mob end of the spectrum rather than the bit of rudeness end.

3. Daniel B.

Expelled.

The problem is that the baying mob didn't get anything, not even a warning ... while the girl got expelled. It's like having a girl gang raped in front of everyone, and then stick said girl in jail while the gangbangers not even being arrested.

1. Ted Treen
        Grenade

Wrong continent

Your scenario would happen in Saudi, Iran or virtually any other rigid Islamic paradise...

6. Slappy
    Thumb Up

Miniskirted Brazilian is appealing...

Yeah, she is!

Thumb up?

Say no more

7. url
    IT Angle

desperately tyring to see the

it angle.

1. Gaz3447
      IT Angle

Because she'd get

it?

8. Tron Silver badge

Possibly the worst students in the world?

Verbally abusing someone en masse for wearing a skirt that was a bit shorter than that of other female students?

What next? Brazilian student crucified for playing rock music? "You couldn't make out some of the words, and it was so loud it hurt our ears," complained Student Union president.

Come join the modern world. We have cookies.

9. Daniel Wilkie
    Thumb Down

Yeah...

She looks OK in that picture, but if you look at most others she really is nothing special...

People are just going batshit about her because she was wearing a short dress, got bullied, and now they think they can white-knight their way into her pants.

Hint - I very much doubt she reads the Register ;) But here's some inspiration for you all - http://funny.funnyoldplanet.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/save-internet.jpg

10. W. Keith Wingate
    WTF?

Odd for a country famous for topless beaches, no?

That is all.

This topic is closed for new posts.