back to article Research links laptops to 'toasted skin syndrome'

In the latest installment of "The Chronicles of Duh...", researchers from the University of Basel, Switzerland, have discovered that letting a hot laptop rest on your thighs for hours at a time isn't good for you. Their research was published by the journal Pediatrics in an article enticingly entitled "Laptop Computer–Induced …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. James Le Cuirot

Or for a cheaper solution...

Get one of those TV dinner cushion thingies. Separates the laptop from your body WITHOUT blowing it up.

1. Anton Ivanov

Viva la consumerism... And Swedish chef

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80115790

Not all pillows are created equal.

2. SirTainleyBarking
    Coat

Its got to be said

In the words of certain Mr Lewis......

Goodness Gracious Great Balls of Fire!

I know, Coat/Hat/Door

Mines the Asbestos one

3. Pete 2 Silver badge

Tea tray

The most popular method in use at Pete 2 towers to stop a nasty case of slow roasted nuts is a cushion on the lap and a tray on the cushion. Forget all these hi-tech coolers and chemicals an' stuff. It also has the beneficial side effect of raising the lappy to a more comfortable height and being able to adjust the angle of the keyboard by fluffing or compressing the front or back of the cushion.

1. Bill B
      Pint

Simplest is best

I'm with Pete2 .. put the thing on a tray and spend the money you'd save on something sensible like beer

4. JimC
    Flame

>brand you ... too dumb

> splotchy, mottled thighs will, however, brand you as someone too dumb to take

> a hot laptop off of your lap.

OTOH you can probably draw some comfort from the thought that if your social life consists of hours spent with a laptop on your lap the chances of being in a position where anyone else is likley to see your thights is somewhat minimal...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Nut roast

Don't worry - this is self limiting as too much heat will reduce his sperm count

6. Anonymous Coward
    Heart

Bigger problem?

It is well known that tight belts and neckties result in poorer circulation which may eventually cause heart problems or blood clots that can kill you.

Surely resting a ~5 lb weight on your lap for hours at a time is similarly bad for circulation?

7. Pat 4
    Troll

What???

Actually, I believe the coolest method to keep your lap cool while user a laptop... IS TO PUT IT ON THE TABLE FOR CHRISSAKE!

8. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

not the sharpest knife in the drawer?

i mean seriously, that kid does not even qualify as a knife let alone a sharp one. He is more blunt than a pestle. Now, if only he placed his laptop near his family jewels so the world won't have to deal with his offsprings.

1. Pat 4

Sharp?

Not even the sharpest spoon in the drawer.

9. frank ly

It's late. An image formed in my mind

"..put some space between its bottom and your thighs .."

I don't want to talk about it.

10. sigxcpu
    WTF?

Wow! I didn't know I was a researcher

I make these darkened brown big spots on my upper part of the legs for about 4 years now using my laptop. I knew they are because of it, but I didn't know that a scientific study is needed for that. They disappear in few days/one week and you can re-create them in one day (red) and two days (brown).

Can I get a Nobel prize for that?

11. Rattus Rattus

Quick preventative:

Rest it on a big hardback book, something with the same dimensions as a Dungeons and Dragons manual. (Shut up! My Mum says I'm cool!)

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Coat

Re: Quick Preventative:

Your Mum's wrong, cool people use RuneQuest manuals.

NB: Don't use Chivalry and Sourcery manuals. The heat causes the glue to degrade and makes the pages fall out.

12. A B 3
    Go

Cool people get scorched

People think they look cool with a laptop on their lap, reclining on the sofa. I put mine on the coffee table for tv watching or on a desk for optimum comfort.

Read the OH&S card that comes with your PC, don't stuff your spine up.

13. Eddy Ito

begs the question

Does the prolonged heat fry your eggs, as it were. I remember some time back getting advice to avoid setting in a hot tub for too long as it has a way of making a man... less potent shall we say. Then again it may have just been a subtle way of saying "get out, it's my turn."

14. xyz Silver badge

Corned beef legs

This is what used to happen to your granny when she sat too close to the electric fire in the winter. They've always been called corned beef legs in Scotland.

15. sT0rNG b4R3 duRiD
    Troll

Laptop solutions.

1. Use a netbook :P

Or...

2. with regard to the article "So if you're a hard-core laptop gamer who pushes your machine for hours on end"...

...They'd be already playing on a surface (Desk, table, floor.. whatever). If they are hardcore, they'd have their own G15 and razer (or equivalents) and would know they'd have to game on a surface or they'd get pwnt.

At this point in time, it still does not matter what genre it is, MMO, FPS, RTS... to be reasonably competitive, you need a mouse and good keyboard and good ergonomics.

If they're not playing on a surface of some sort and instead, on their laps, then they are not hard core. Just stupid, imho :P

16. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

Mmmm. Home made pork cracklin'!

This is presumably what happens to kids who are protected from every risk without experiencing the pain for themselves? "Don't touch that fire, darling, it might be hot!"

For some reason I'm reminded that frogs in slowly heated water don't climb out...

Paris, because I'm sure even she is bright enough to stop if her thighs get too hot.

17. Lottie

Not just legs a risk

If he's playing that many hours of games on his lappy every day, I'd suspect that unless it's a humungous machine, he'll end up with shoulder/ upper back issues from the cramped keyboard that when on your lap isn't the best position.

Just wait; in a few years it'll be a story about how the laptop ruined hios life without the parents taking responsibility for owt!

18. Efros
    Happy

back in the day

used to be known as corned beef legs, was a result of standing too close to the coal fire after coming in form the cold and wet that was the Scottish climate.

19. Sweeping Brush

So why are the called laptops then?

Why are they called laptops if you cant put them on your lap?

Surely they should be called 'do not place on your lap as it causes you to look like an old scottish woman' tops?

1. Amberose

We only have ourselves to blame

If you go back a few years there was a long campaign by manufacturers to call them notebook computers. But it was too late and the term laptop had made it in to common usage.

I suppose its a kind of wishful thinking - we jointly called them what we wanted them to be, and for the most part succesfully ignore their limitations.

20. Remy Redert

@Sweeping Brush

You'll actually find that for most purposes, like watching a film, browsing the web, etc. putting the laptop on your lap isn't an issue because it won't get hot, just a little warm.

Conversely, if you're going to put serious load on it (HD movies, games of any kind), then it can become hot.

Personally, for games I'll still use my desktop machine most of the time, for obvious reasons.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like