back to article Foursquare falls down, lurches back up

Foursquare is back up after a 15-hour outage, but the location tracking service will remain schtum on what went wrong until tomorrow. The service, which rewards those who check in regularly with mayoral status and pretty badges with which to make friends and influence people, went down yesterday and only returned in the early …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Fourwha?

<checks Wiki>

Oh.

Right.

And I thought that Twatter & Farcebook were thoroughly, utterly, mind-bendingly pointless.

Any chance of a Reg rundown on any other similar wastes-of-oxygen that have somehow passed me by? I need a good laugh.

2. Stuart Castle Silver badge

Sadness indeed.

""My @foursquare has been down all day. Grr and someone grabbed my mayorship while I couldn't check in :-( this is a sadness""

It is indeed. Not in the way the person meant though..

1. Mark 65

Indeed

Sad-fuck, that is all.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

These Twitterers...

It's as if they have nothing to do except gripe complain on internet forums.

4. James Dunmore
    Thumb Down

And facebook and twitter never have down time

... as in yes, 4square was down for a bit, but really, so is every other social networking tool, don't think 4square will lose many users over it - if anything, no such thing as bad publicity - some people will now go and check it out

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Don't understand.

Do these "services" just take advantage of insecure people's inherent obsessive / compulsive issues or do they actually fill some need?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

If it keeps peoples...

... obsessive / compulsive issues out of my way, then that's need enough.

6. Jimbo 6

Catastrophe

This is obviously some new meaning of the word, of which I had been previously unaware.

1. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Catastrophe

Ironic usage.

Sigh.

1. Matt Devney

Sarcasm

Sarcastic usage.

Sigh.

7. Tommy Pock
    Badgers

The government says

You're not supposed to tell your friends you're at the car boot sale, because of terror.

The outage probably saved many millions of people from an increased terror.

8. King Edward I
    Happy

Subheading...

Made me lol :D

9. dssf

Insurance companies should deny claims for 4s and places users

Who get burgled, kidnapped, assaulted, or otherwise put in a position that they then feel an urge to file a claim against. If insurance companies can subpoena records and find that idiots are broadcasting their locations or planned locations and subject themselves to a claims situation, then insurance companies should not only deny most of the claims, but increase deductibles...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Big Brother

Umm...

Just because one person might not be at home, doesn't mean nobody's at home.

There are probably easier ways to find out which houses are empty. Like walk down the road.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like