back to article Sony Ericsson screens wireless display for phones

Sony Ericsson is to answer everyone who wants a second, separate mini display for their mobile phone. As if whipping out your handset wasn't easy enough, SE's LiveView allows you to leave that oh-so-large 3.5in touchscreen in your pocket or bag while you glance instead at LiveView's 1.3in, 128 x 128 OLED panel. Sony Ericsson …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. JaitcH
    Unhappy

Dick Tracy, James Bond and Maxwell Smart all had ...

self-contained wrist communicators. This device is more like an earpiece - needs the telephone.

I wonder what joker dreamt up the idea of clipping one to a web strap - snatch thieves dream come true. Even this wrist version is at risk of theft.

Samsung has better dreams - see: < http://www.walyou.com/blog/2010/04/19/samsung-oled-wrist-communicator-concept/ >.

Maybe this would be the answer to Jobs Grip of Death?

2. Lottie
    Thumb Up

erm...

... I actually quite fancy one of them. I'd help with changing track ont he media player.

But hell, on the strap I'd have a watch that can relay the display from my phone!!! If I kept the app that shows EM fields, gravity and whatnot, I'd feel so like I was living in the future!

No where's my bacofoil jumpsuit?

3. Simon Round
    Thumb Up

Nice Idea

I could see this taking off if it was redesigned as a stylish watch. And of course it would need to allow installation of widgets to customise the display to diferent clock/watch styles and notification styles.

It would also need some amount of inbuilt storage to allow syncronisation so if you were out of range of your phone (e.g. it's been left in a desk drawer) then you would still have access to your appointments/calendar, etc.

4. Shades
    Thumb Up

Wow...

This is actually a very good idea! I've got a HD2 (living in its pouch) which is bit of a pain to pull out just to check a text message or email is worth/necessary replying to. Hopefully some of the extremely clever folks over at XDA Developers can figure out a way to get this working with WinMobile. If they can do that then I'll most definitely be chucking some wedge SE's way.

One question though... Does it actually function as a watch when at "rest"?

5. Slappy
    Thumb Down

Why?

Really?

I own an X10 and have no idea if it can connect to more than one BT device at a time.

So is this useless if you are already using a headset?

6. quartzie
    Thumb Down

how about supporting existing BT handsfree sets?

The Android handsets have mediocre support for SE's own existing BT headsets - I would really love to see the song title again on my MW600, something every stupid SE phone with bluetooth could do any time of day.

7. Tigra 07
    Heart

Cool!

That looks really cool!

Finally having the most expensive Sony Ericsson phone pays off!

Any idea of price?

8. Patrick O'Reilly

4 Days Battery

So this little wrist gadget has 4 Days battery life, and its connected to your phone via bluetooth the whole time. How many hours does that lob off and Android handsets exsisting battery life. Will I be running on empty by lunch?

9. h 6
    FAIL

Yuk.

Looks fugging uckly, and only geeks wear digital watches.

10. JB
    Thumb Up

Nice idea

It makes me wonder how safe it really is to whip out a fancy smartphone to use all these great apps, just takes one scally to accidentally-on-purpose bump into you to relieve you of your pride and joy. If they worked on the details, like the styling, a bit more, it could be very interesting.

PS: does it have a microphone? Can I talk into it like James Bond??

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They had the gall to demo it on a X10 Xperia

They have a demo video of it and guy's using a X10. This new device requires Android 2.0 or better.

WHERE'S *OUR* FIRMWARE UPDATE? Please.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like