back to article Second piracy threat lawyers withstand DDoS attack

The attack on a second law firm with a history of involvement in copyright litigation has turned out to be something of a damp squib. Anonymous extended its fight against organisations supporting anti-piracy efforts to solicitors Davenport Lyons on Thursday night, with plans to flood its website with spurious traffic and carry …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anomalous Cowturd
    Megaphone

Sorry John,,,

>>> These assaults moved onto the website of solicitors ACS:Law on Tuesday, briefly taking it offline.

As of now, 1PM Friday, ACS law website is still down.

Feel the pain yet? Teh lulz just keep coming!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I asuume that when you say 'Teh lulz'

that you actually mean criminal charges for disrupting the normal operation of a network.

2. Scorchio!!

Propaganda

Whatever the rights and wrongs of the situation, it makes sense for the law company to deny any effect on their business.

However, where their menacing behaviours are concerned and the frequently documented innocent people they have harassed (including an elderly lady who does not do torrents or any other form of pirating 'pop'/rock music), these people deserve a legally bloody nose. I'm not sure about DDoS, not at all.

2. Alex 0.1
    Stop

Briefly?

>>>>These assaults moved onto the website of solicitors ACS:Law on Tuesday, briefly taking it offline.

A bit more than briefly, I'd say - Not long after the attack, Dataflame suspended their account (it was simply hosted on a shared server, not really able to cope with a sizeable DOS attack) and then appear to have terminated it completely, the domain hasn't resolved for several days now.

1. Anomalous Cowturd
      Joke

Sports news just in...

Anonymous 1 ACS:Law 0

Own goal too!

I believe it's called Karma...

2. nigel 15

dataflame

i'm just looking through their emails.

I thought i recognise the formatting of this mailbox..... it's the same as mine.

my site is also on a shared server at dataflame.

must remember to never put my back up in the home directory.

3. neverSteady

Vast improvement on the Crossley response.

I note the lack of cockiness in their response to the non-attack.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No title reqd

What do they care if the website is down? It doesn't affect their business at all. Now their mailservers would be a different matter...

5. Lord Lien
    Pint

DDoS attacks are....

.... so 3 days ago. Its Friday, almost the weekend now & no one in RL land cares.

Beer icon, because I shall be having a few tonight...

6. The BigYin

Payback?

If you want some "payback" on the MAFIAA:

1) Stop buying and distributing the crap their members spew out.

2) Laugh heartily as Hollywood goes bankrupt.

3) Profit?

7. Chris Hatfield

Perhaps numbers are dwindling

If they can't take down Davenport Lyons, I imagine that they've just got bored.

This article should really be tagged with '4chan'; not so much Anonymous. Anoymous-Chanology and Anonymous-4chan can be (and often are) different people. Anonymous-Chanology is infested with so called 'moralfags' who have a hissy fit whenever someone even suggests something not-legal. Anonymous 4chan does whatever it wants, for the lulz, apparently.

Dear Anon - do more protesting & less fapping. Also, stay legal.

8. Alexis Vallance

Scamsters

I wonder how many people caved in to these scumbags unenforceable demands?

I'm surprised nobody took THEM to court.

Of course, they never took anyone to county court in the end. They would have to prove actual losses incurred. About £8 for downloading a music CD - nowhere near £500!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I wonder how long it will last

Sure, anonymous and 4chan can be downright nasty, but I think their attention span is rather short...

10. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

skills

It sounds like the attackers are unskilled in hacking.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

no title

eat your words

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You don't think

You don't think that they could be script kiddies do you????!

Shocks!

Anon, because I'm am, but I'm not, but I am. Argh!

11. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

insert triforce

so, I assume you've seen the latest turn of events?

1. Evil Genius
      Paris Hilton

Seen it

and it warms the very cockles of my heart.

Paris? Because even she needs someone to look down on.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

http://www.acs-law.ORG.uk/

Not only did they choose a domain name that made me need to think carefully to avoid confusing them with the eminently respectable out-law.com but they also chose to put it in the name space normally associated with non-profits. As a good netizen I can only hope they live up to it.

Sunday morning and still no response. What is the generally accepted icon for 'good karma'?

13. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

big story on ACS Law

I hope no one here paid ACS off by credit card

cos your name, address, credit card # and CVV are out there thanks to the idiots at acs:law who didn't encrypt stuff and left it on a live mail server

even paris isn't that thick

14. Anonymous Coward
    Terminator

see Slashdot

a report today:

>> "A recent DDoS attack against a UK-based anti-pirating firm, ACS:Law, has resulted in a large backup archive of the server contents being made available for download, [and this archive] is now being hosted by the Pirate Bay. Within this archive are e-mails from Andrew Crossley basically admitting that he is running a scam job,"

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/10/09/25/0413236/UK-Anti-Piracy-Firm-E-mails-Reveal-Cavalier-Attitude-Toward-Legal-Threats

15. Stone Fox
    Thumb Up

Willing bots

Omg! That must mean the 'longcat deathstar' is online....!

16. NigelS

Clever little bastards

So ACS being slightly dumb backup their server to a tar file and woopsie 4chan have all their emails, quite interesting reading, while i dont agree with 4chans methods, it's nice to see ACS on the recieving end of this :D

http://bit.ly/an3Z4p

This topic is closed for new posts.