back to article Channel islanders attack Street View car

Two of Google's Street View cars have been vandalised on the Channel Island of Guernsey. The camera-cars were on their second visit to the island. They were originally due in May but were delayed by the discovery that the cars were slurping up data from unsecured Wi-Fi networks, the BBC reports. The cars had their tyres …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Pics...

Didn't they get some pics of the culprits?

1. Raumkraut

Re: Pics...

Sure they did, but the faces were all blurred.

2. OrsonX

they did...

.... but the faces were all strangely blurry.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Island people

Maybe they'd never seen a car before and got frightened?

1. SimonX
      Big Brother

Don't be stupid....

We're not that backwards.

We were worried that taking a picture would steal our souls.

Although it only happens as a result of a separate research project being included in the codebase in error.

3. David Barrett

umm

So some one walked up to what is basically a camera on wheels and damaged it? I hope it got a pic... but Im guessing it was parked up with the camera off at the time...

v2. The Google tank.

4. Stonedecroze
    Flame

It's wrong but ...

I feel strangly proud to live in Guernsey.

1. Beelzeebub
      Flame

Sorry...

... but I don't want to be strangled thankyou.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Inevitable

It's the channel islands after all. They probably think the cameras will steal a bit of their soul.

Last time I was there I wondered about that bald bloke with the banjo sitting on the harbour wall.

1. Stoneshop

Not that backwards

"They probably think the cameras will steal a bit of their soul."

They do. Think about it

1. Grease Monkey Silver badge

Thought

I've thought carefully about it. And it hasn't changed my view. Only very primitive peoples think they have such a thing as a soul.

6. Andrew Barr
    WTF?

Got to be good

You have to be good to sneak up on a car with a 360 degree camera and slash the tyres!!

1. Ian Michael Gumby
      Pirate

Cameras only on when car is running.

So its pretty easy to sneak up on the car.

Of course, if you really want to have fun, I guess you could be masked, fire paint balls at the camera dome and then have your fun with the car.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sark

Would the inhabitants of Sark let google on?

If they don't, I expect an article in the Telegraph denouncing the inhabitants for their medieval feudal outlook in failing to embrace the modern world.

If on the other hand, they do, I expect an article in the Telegraph denouncing the inhabitants for failing to respect privacy concerns.

confused? look up Barclay brothers...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Down

Well presumably...

...the reclusive ones can't threaten to sack them all because they've done that already....

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Sark?

I didn't know Google had Streetview donkey carts.

3. Robert E A Harvey
      Badgers

For Glod's sake

A kid with a box brownie could cover the whole place in one afternoon.

Surely googlers can walk?

8. Stefing
    Coat

If only...

This from an island that was occupied by the Nazis.

9. Rinsey

Pics...

Or it didn't happen...

10. Rogerborg

Wait - the Channel Islanders have access to knives now?

When did they upgrade their sharpened mangoes?

11. durandal
    Black Helicopters

Is that a threat

at the end of their press statement?

"It said the cars had taken most of the images needed already, but *would return if necessary*"

It works better if you say it in a menacing voice, of course.

12. James Le Cuirot
    Troll

Donkeys

Those bloody donkeys, always were an uncivilised lot, eh ma cock. ;-)

13. Avatar of They
    Thumb Down

required title

Google jut don't get the message.

14. Martin Usher
    Black Helicopters

Idiots abound

I think of the privacy concerns as just potential competitors stoking the fires of ignorance. Street View is a very useful capability, it makes visiting an unfamiliar place a whole lot easier, and its given Google quite an edge over other mapping services. Instead of competition we're getting people trying to drag the service down by raising all sorts of spurious arguments -- and the worst part of it is that people who should know better are buying into them ("slurping wifi addresses", indeed.. Reg, you should know better).

Has anyone noticed the irony of how "privacy concerns" are apparently paramount in a society that tolerates 24/7 monitoring of their activities using all sorts of tools -- including live video?

15. Daggersedge
    Paris Hilton

Pity they didn't show such spirit in the WW2

They let the Germans walk right over them then. Turned in allied soldiers to them and everything. Not to mention that the girls - the Jerry bags as they were known then - slept with all the German soldiers.

Of course, some - who know how many - of them are descendants of the German occupiers themselves, so that may explain their spirited actions.

Paris, because she knows what occupations are about...

16. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

Nothing Wrong?

So you see nothing wrong at all with creating a catalogue of every building in the world, with pictures, that anyone can access? Fortunately for society, plenty of other people do see problems, and eventually the runaway evil empire of Google will get reigned in, at least a little, hopefully sooner rather than later. The information land-grab that they have gone on is terrifying. The land-grab they did on books alone is terrifying to anyone who has read 1984.

17. heyrick Silver badge

@ Martin Usher

The way I see it, it is okay for THEM [*] to watch us, but God forbid we (or some foreign corporation) have access to that kind of technology.

If the Googlemobile fancies coming my way, kindly send me a Google t-shirt beforehand and I'll come out and take pictures of it taking pictures of me. A set of photos of a slice in time (of a place barely even on the map) is a whole lot less worrisome to me than automated numberplate tracking, internet packet snooping, and all of the other things which don't get much publicity but are privacy menaces all the same. I mean, who cares what colour my front door is? Who cares if we drive to Tours and don't take the motorway? Who cares if I spend boring rainy weekends with nothing on TV searching the 'net for pictures of cute Asians. So long as we obey the laws and don't act in an immoral manner, we aren't a threat to anybody. So why does it increasingly feel like somebody things we are? All of us...

* - I'll leave it up to the tinfoil hat bridge to come up with suggestions of who exactly "them" may be.

18. Damo
    Jobs Horns

Interesting thought occurred to me

The only people capable of sneaking up on a 360 degree camera are ninjas.

Where was Steve Job's at the time and has anyone checked his alibi?

19. bootstampface
    Grenade

Freedom Fighters

In 30 or 40 years time, when AntiGoogle Activists are blowing up datacentres and such, these people will be regarded as Pioneering Heroes.

This topic is closed for new posts.