back to article MySQL's non-heroic future runs Castle Oracle

It's unheard of for a CEO to slip into his previous company's branded shirt and speak to users - unless the occasion is some kind of anniversary. Yet the ex-MySQL chief executive and former head of Sun Microsystems' MySQL unit did just that at OpenWorld - the come-to-Jesus mega event run by MySQL's new owner Oracle. Why would …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tom 7

"work to boost ease-of-use"

That old euphemism for not bothering to learn the first thing about how to get the most out it.

2. Mike Pellatt
    Linux

Reasons for lack of Windows deployment ??

One of the 3 reasons listed is "lack of GUI-based interface for data modeling and admin"

You mean like phpMyAdmin ???

Admittedly, it's browser-based, not GUI-based, but does anyone really think the former isn't the future ??

And where would you rather deploy the A in LAMP/WAMP ?? Windows or Linux ??

1. Tim Brown 1
      Thumb Up

totally agree

I'm surprised Oracle haven't acknowledged the usefulness of phpMyAdmin. Without it Mysql would be a pita to use. I'd say there's little point in them developing a Windows GUI. Mysql is a server database program and as such browser-based admin is a no-brainer. If they see themselves as developing something to compete with Access on the Windows desktop they are about 15 years too late.

1. Lars Silver badge
        Happy

Totally agree, but

perhaps Oracle is just accepting the fact that Windows developers are 15 years behind.

3. Skymonrie
    FAIL

No tools?

Rightly so, a plug trying to get people to use Oracle more and more but...

MySQL Workbench is an amazing bit of kit! I use the Linux version because it's not just a lack of tools why developers avoid Windows...

Shameless plug:

MySQL Workbench is a cross-platform, visual database design tool developed by MySQL. It is the highly anticipated successor application of the DBDesigner4 project. MySQL Workbench is available as a native GUI tool on Windows, Linux and OS X in different editions. See the following link for more information about the editions available.

* Database Design & Modeling

* SQL Development

* Database Administration

Oh, and as well as being very mature, it's FREE!

4. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Sounds like a plan!

Whilst it will probably wind up the old guard (I can hear them choking at the thought of a Windows installer now!), it sounds like a reasonable plan to me.

5. CD001

hmmm

----

The implication is that MySQL is being downloaded by developers or for evaluation and that it goes no further.

----

Or alternatively - devs download it on Windows boxes AND use it on live web servers. Those development environments may also be running different versions of MySQL - to check application compatibility with the newer MySQL versions before live deployment... they may also have legacy versions, incremental point increases not rolled out to live servers or beta versions.

Of course the live server may only be running a single MySQL instance for multiple websites over different Virtual Hosts - as is quite common with cheaper LAMP hosting.

I'd say, at a guess, for every live web server running MySQL there are at least 2 development versions installed and since the W|LAMP stack is pretty portable it's quite feasible to use Windows boxes for development purposes and deploy live to Unix-a-like systems.

6. Thom Brown
    WTF?

No PostgreSQL?

There's been a lot of news about Oracle lately, yet the biggest PostgreSQL release in years just seemed to pass by The Reg unnoticed.

7. Brian Aker

Who else is going to buy Eucalyptus?

Hi!

There are three likely possibilities that Marten was there at Oracle World.

Who else is Marten going to sell Eucalyptus too? Marten needs a buyer for Eucalyptus, if not now he will need one in the future. Oracle is a perfect buyer for it. He might as well coddle up to them.

Marten is there is that it is good publicity to be on stage in front of Oracle customers for Eucalyptus.

Publicly siding with Oracle is an awesome way to stick it to Monty.

Pick one or all three. For the hell of it I have put a poll up to see what others think -> <A HREF="http://krow.livejournal.com/696930.html">clicky, clicky</>

Cheers,

-Brian

8. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

Hurt SQL Server

On Linux, it mostly hurts Oracle database, but on Windows it can take business from Microsoft SQL Server. Since MS gets most of their revenue from SMB, it is a perfect weapon to drain a competitor.

9. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

Thom Brown beat me to it..

But, I'm just surprised how much focus mysql gets and PostgreSQL doesn't. PostgreSQL went for correctness and reliability first (it's been ACID compliant for almost 10 years) and then worked on speed later. At one point it had caught up with MySQL in terms of speed (whether MySQL has pulled away or not I'm not sure.) But I'm just surprised how little attention PostgreSQL gets.

10. Michael Schmidt
    Thumb Down

Who cares?

PostgreSQL has been ACID compliant for years and continues to make serious advancements that will keep it ahead of MySQL. It is cross-platform compatible and has numerous developer tools. Rock solid reliability. This article is like sports fans keeping up with the last place team in the standings. Who does that?

11. TerryAcky

This is just a preview — your post hasn’t been submitted yet.

"The implication is that MySQL is being downloaded by developers or for evaluation and that it goes no further."

Not an uncommon scenario I would imagine.

I regularly work with a variety of major relational databases. Sometimes on Microsoft platforms, sometimes not. One thing that has been consistently apparent is that, whilst MySQL is a reasonable database, it has rough edges and lacks in one or two important areas. For me personally, it is not quite 'there', always falling just a little short. For me, it never gets rated higher than a 3rd place, but then, that's based on my personal experience alone.

Is it unreasonable to for end users to expect a major database to provide a comprehensive GUI with the database install? I would say it's quite a reasonable expectation these days. Quite a few developers I have spoken with have said the lack of a GUI (with the database) 'kinda sucks'. But then it doesn't take much to download SQLyog Enterprise, for instance. Are they just lazy? Coule be. But then MySQL really should have had it's own admin GUI years ago IMO.

@Mike Pellatt: As for phpMyAdmin... Well, I would imagine that you may be hard pressed to sign up many self-respecting corporate DBAs for this one!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like