back to article Ad touts benefits of pubic school to South Benders

A billboard praising South Bend, Indiana's Public Schools last week missed a crucial ingredient - the letter L. The digital ad, which was promoting the southbendon.com website, went up last Thursday. One of its rotating messages encouraged motorists to go to the website to find out the "15 best things about our pubic schools …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tony S

Good

Nice to see someone accepting they made a bit of a boo-boo and not trying to defend it by offering some daft excuse.

And I'm sure that South Bend's most famous school (not a "public school") were not smirking at all over this.

(Actually, I think a "fighting Irish" icon would be a useful addition the next time that you think about adding some in. Either that or a "touchdown Jesus!)

2. Blofeld's Cat
    Coat

I don't know - kids today...

When I was young we didn't have such things a pubic schools. We had to learn about such things on our own ... let me rephrase that ... first hand ... I mean ... by ourselves.

It's the donkey jacket draped over the "deep excavation" sign.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Pubic Notices

I recall once having to do a double-take on Hatfield Forum's bill-board announcement of a forthcoming "Swinging Organ Spectacular".

4. James O'Shea

Indiana wants me

Lord I can't go back there...

I haven't been near South Bend in over 25 years. Do they still roll up the sidewalks after 20:00 (18:30 on Saturdays)?

My most enduring memory of South Bend is the of when I escaped, ah, that is, graduated, from the school noted by Tony S. In May. Late May. And there was still snow piled two freaking metres deep on some parts of the student parking lot. My first year there, on 16 April the high temperature was 89 F. On 17 April, 60 F. On 18 April, 30 F. And it was snowing. Snow. In April. The weather report on WNDU channel 16 ('On the campus') the local NBC affiliate (the Evening News is brought to you by Dual Herbicide, six ways better for weeds in corn. After nearly 30 years I still remember that blasted ad, word for word...) pointed out that it was warmer in Anchorage, Alaska, than in South Bend...

Not going back. Nope.

The 'l' rotted off from the rain, that's what. Or froze off in a blizzard.

5. philbo
    Joke

Christmas come early?

..the first "no-L", presumably

...I'll get my coat

6. S Larti
    Pint

15 best things?

I can cetainly think of a few, but 15?

Still, nice to see El Reg beavering away for news stories.

7. Rasczak
    Paris Hilton

Missing ?

I remember my first trip to the US, half dozen guys staying in a rented villa near Orlando. Self catering so we had to do some shopping, a man cannot live on takeaway alone, so we went to the local supermarket chain, Publix. It may have been the font they used, but still to this day I cannot see the "l" in the name.

8. Cunningly Linguistic
    Paris Hilton

They must be...

...crack educators at that school.

This topic is closed for new posts.