back to article Paris brushes off Japanese ejection over coke bust

Paris Hilton was barred from entering Japan this morning after a six hour grilling by immigration officials curious about her position on nose candy. The talented model/actress/heiress, was stopped at Tokyo airport on Tuesday when she attempted to enter the country to promote her fashion and fragrance lines. Apparently Hilton …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. CADmonkey
    Paris Hilton

The last word in luxury..

..is to stay the night at "a hotel airport"

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Barking from surrey

I must protest at the constant torrent of filth spewing from your publicatio.......

(Oh! sorry, I misread EJECTION, forget it).

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Her fans in Asia

Someone let Paris know that Japan doesn't form the entirety of Asia. I'm sure there are other Asian states that would welcome her ... such as North Korea or Burma.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Merkins

I think you're missing a sublety (ha!) of merkin english here. Most merkins use the word asian to mean the same as the word oriental means to the rest of the english speaking world. There are some for whom Japanese and Asian are itnerchangeable.

It's not just Paris. Most of them seem to be that stupid.

1. I didn't do IT.
        WTF?

Re: Asian vs. Oriental

That's because "oriental" has become a derogatory term.

A common response to calling someone from Japan or China (or of such descent) "oriental" is "I'm a person - not a rug!"

Perhaps a symptom of our PC (not computer) culture running rampant? Or just over sensitive people?

2. Eddy Ito
        Grenade

Re: Merkins

Just a few things. First, Oriental doesn't mean Japanese any more than Asian does and Asian doesn't exclude the far east or even northern Asia, see parts of Russia. A quick reference to Oxford Dictionaries Online yields the following;

"Usage: In Britain Asian is generally used to refer to people who come from (or whose parents came from) India, Pakistan, or elsewhere in South Asia, while in North America it refers to people from China, Japan, and other countries of East Asia"

"Oriental: noun; often offensive* a person of Asian, especially East Asian, descent"

Second, trust me, it's better to be simply called an Asian by an American than have some Euro-git get it wrong three times only to finally ask how to say my real "Oriental" name. Here's a hint AC, it's Edward. But what did you really expect from a mutt in a nation of mutts?

Now tell me, what is it your fascination with merkins anyway? Did you horribly cut yourself shaving? Perhaps a nice trip to Brazil to have a professional take care of that, apparently not everyone is suited for DIY.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Jobs Horns

Japan _is_ Asia?

Now I think I understand why the iTunes store only sells music and movies in Japan and not the rest of Asia.

Evil Steve. He started this mess!

4. John Savard
    Paris Hilton

Precedent

Well, Canada refused to let Nina Hartley into the country at one time, because of her brush with the law, so this is hardly surprising.

5. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

How many?

"So disappointed to miss my fans in Asia. I promise to come back soon."

Shurrely shoom mishtake....Fans? Come back soon? Not to the land of the nasty nips I suspect.

6. Richard IV
    Paris Hilton

Oh Good!

She'll finally be able to fit that Rwandan trip in then...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/11/07/hilton_tokyo/

7. mafoo
    Paris Hilton

full body...

I wonder what her policy of millimetre wave full body scanner is...

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

let's put it this way

If she was a Japanese pop star cought using/possesing drugs (a few miligrams of anthetimins for example) she'd have at least a year in jail, her career in the music business would be over and she'd probably have a massive fine, also a lot of hate mail. Also she wouldn't be able to do business with most Japanese companies (they'd prefer not to have their image tainted by having drug users attached to them.)

They take a very dim view on drugs.

Booze and sex are fine though. Adultury isn't though.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Paris Hilton

Yeah, but

Japan treats its pop stars as disposable resources. "Oh, this person's slightly dirty. Time to junk them and manufacture a new one!"

Given some stars over here, though, that might not be an entirely bad idea.

1. Eddy Ito

Re: Yeah, but

I take it you've never seen any of the "Idol", "Got Talent" genre of unreality TV. Did the whole formula [boy,girl] bands pass you by as well?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Paris Hilton

Oooh. Good point.

I had completely wiped the Idol/Got Talent/Dancing mess from my memory. Same with manufactured bands. The difference is that when our premanufactured faux talent gets into trouble, that's all the more entertainment.

9. Naughtyhorse
    Pint

too much

way to many lolz to list

talented heiress indeed

10. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Phew!

Phew! Japanese youth are saved 'cos, as we all know, Japan has no drug problem whatsoever and banning Paris will clearly ensure that this remains the case.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I can assure you

It is sever hundred times easier to find illegal drugs in the UK and USA then it is in Japan, and the punishments several times less severe then they are in Japan. Not to mention that having a conviction for drugs offences basically means you can never be a functioning member of normal society due to the stigma attached to drug taking.

1. Captain Thyratron

Another thing about it that worries me

is what prison is like in Japan. You don't hear about it much except for occasionally:

http://www.nytimes.com/1996/07/08/world/prisons-in-japan-are-safe-but-harsh.html

So you go there for a while if you're busted for possession, yet there are vending machines with beer. Makes perfect sense, doesn't it?

11. Ian Michael Gumby
    IT Angle

Should we care about Paris?

Kudos to the Japanese that have low tolerance for stars behaving badly. Not to mention Paris really isn't a star and is only famous for being famous.

Sorry but this puff piece has no relevance except for the Paris icon.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Macca's barring for crimes against humanity was entirely justified

Exhibit A: The Frog Chorus

13. Natalie Gritpants

xoxo ???

Ejected for failing to know how to play naughts and crosses.

14. bitmap animal
    Paris Hilton

Will they let her back home?

I thought you couldn't get into the USA if you have a drugs conviction. Surely they don't have different rules for their own citizens and she is going to be refused re-entry on the way home.

Just think, she could be stuck airside for the rest of eternity.

15. LesC
    Coat

Big In Japan -

Well that's Paris's Japanese Best Friend hosed then.

Mines is the one with the Sky channels in the pocket.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Damn

With that title I thought you'd managed to do something witty with a story about paper planes. When I found out it was just another story about Miss Hilton I was really disappointed.

17. Steve Evans
    Paris Hilton

Advisor...

You have to question who advises Paris on her trips (let's face it she hardly likely to be organising things herself), given Japan's stance on such matters it really was an ill-advised trip. Even her own country, the US of A takes a dim view of visitors with a drug conviction (curiously introduced during the "reign" of a president who confessed to smoking weed himself - although not inhaling).

Oh hang on (interfaces hand with forehead), of course they knew this... This is all about column inches isn't it (not the kind of inches Paris prefers I'm sure).

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Strange....

Yeah, she's really got it hard. a slap on the wrist and a fine equal to what she probably blows on blow in a week.

If it were a working class joe such as myself, this never would have happened because I would still be in jail from the first time!

the judicial system is a joke, it all depends on the color of your skin, who you know, who you are related to, and how much money you have. I know people who've been arrested for open container and had stiffer penalties than that, and the "open container" was an empty beer can in the back of the truck, no alcohol in their system at all! I myself got arrested over twenty years ago for minor in possession of alcohol and had to pay more of a fine and do a hell of a lot more "community service" than she has to, and she was busted with cocaine!

I don't know what the laws in California are, but here, any amount of coke found on a person is a felony and a max of 10 years in prison. People rarely get the max sentence, but they do jail time and pay a hell of a lot more than what she was charged with.

And this is who our teen daughters look up to! she's not the only one setting a bad example....

19. David 39

what the hell

has oxo gotta do with anything?

20. 3v1lkr0w
    WTF?

Really???

"talented model/actress/heiress"??? Talented??? Really???

That is all...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like