back to article Philips 32PFL9705 Ambilight 32in LED backlit TV

Ambilight, the curious multi-coloured backlighting effect exclusive to Philips, is a remarkable thing. It doesn’t suit every programme – do you really want splashes of colour on the wall around the TV when you’re watching sombre announcements on the news? – but for entertainment it is an impressive, immersive addition. Philips …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. K

How much????

I got my 47" Ambilight for £800 a few months ago - hunt around and you'll get a bargain.

2. David Evans

Lovely, but too expensive

I owned one of the early Ambilight LCDs and it really does enhance the experience; unfortunately it was broken during a house move, and despite the insurance money, its simply impossible to justify the price premium; you can get an excellent 1080p Bravia for half that money.

3. Steve 13
    Thumb Down

price

You forget to talk about the astranomical price. I like the idea of ambilight, but there's no way it's worth double the cost of an otherwise equivalent screen.

4. Tim #3

Picture quality v OLED

As our reviewer is likely to have seen an OLED set in action, I wonder if he'd be able to comment on the difference between the picture quality of this very good TV and an OLED one; I'm just wondering if an OLED is noticeably better.

5. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

No Freeview HD, no iPlayer, no Lovefilm, 32" £1300

This might have been an 85% TV at this price 2-3 years ago but doesn't seem worthy now. Even if the pictures are great they are on competitors products at much lower prices.

6. Martin
    Thumb Down

£1300 for a 32" telly?

Seems a lot for pretty flashing lights to me....

There is also the argument that if you pay that much for a telly, it should not need to have the picture tweaked to get it "just right". I don't go to the cinema and demand to be able to adjust the colour balance - I expect it to be right. Same should apply to a decent telly.

I can't help feeling that people who mess around with the picture to get it "just right" are more interested in looking at the picture, rather than the movie. Bit like hi-fi buffs who listen to the sound, rather than the music.

7. Buzzword
    WTF?

How much?!

It's a nice telly, but what on earth justifies the £1300 price tag? Philips have similar models for half that price. Are the ambilight and internet features really worth an extra £600-700? You could get a cheaper TV and a Mac Mini for that money.

8. Loyal Commenter Silver badge
    WTF?

It all looks very nice

But how can they justify the £1300 price tag, for a 32" TV? That's about 4x the going rate for a 32" 1080p LED as far as I can tell. Unless I'm missing something here, you're paying a grand for a 'mood lighting' feature that you'll probably get bored of and turn off pretty quickly?

9. Justabloke 1
    WTF?

1300 quid?!?!?

It had better supply sexual favours as well for that kind of money and I don't mean off the internet!

10. Nigel Whitfield.

Bonkers remote

That remote control is absolutely mad - and amazing they can get Freeview certification with it.

Where are the Text and Exit buttons? With channel change via the navigator, you lose the ability to jump straight from interactive to another channel by using P+/P-

11. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Buyer beware

A friend of mine bought a 32" Ambilight TV less than four years ago at a little more than £1300. The power board packed up at the beginning of this year, and Phillips no longer supply the spare part. Their proposal when challenged was to pay £250 if the TV was returned to them.

For this sort of money, I'd expect a TV to remain supported by a spares and repair service for a lot longer than three years. Writing off a thousand pounds over that period is too rich for my blood.

12. Juan Inamillion
    Thumb Down

@£1300 for a 32" telly?

Almost any kind of audio visual device coming off the production line is going to be set up with 'factory default settings', which ensures that the product performs as advertised when switched on. However, that can't account for the many and varied ways in which people like to use the equipment, let alone account for the variation in ambient location.

Hence adjustments to improve the user experience...,

13. Stuart Archer
    WTF?

3D what?

Unless I've read it wrong, this is not a 3d ready TV? So how precisely is it going to display pictures from the 3D camera you mention in your article?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like