back to article Popbitch blames tainted ad server for Google malware warning

Popbitch has confirmed that tainted ads were to blame for the classification of the site as a potential security risk on Thursday. Goggle's Safe Browsing tool flagged up problems with sections of the popular celebrity gossip site, and marked the whole site as potentially unsafe, on Thursday. Popbitch attributed the problem to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. EJ

Firefox w/ Adblock Plus

This is why Firefox w/ Adblock Plus is a step forward on the security front. It takes the malicious ad server angle out of the picture.

2. Andy Blackburn
    Pirate

The title is required, and must contain letters and/or digits.

AdBlock Plus or not, if the ads are compromised and exploited, then the site is going to be flagged, and if you're using Firefox you're going to get a warning page saying that the site "may harm your computer"...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Point?

"AdBlock Plus or not, if the ads are compromised and exploited, then the site is going to be flagged, and if you're using Firefox you're going to get a warning page saying that the site "may harm your computer"..."

The point of which I take to be that the Google/Firefox system is deeply flawed. If it were a useful system it would merely block the ads. It wouldn't be difficult to implement. To my mind it's something of a conflict of interest for and advertising company to block whole pages simply because they contain compromised adverts provided by another ad company.

Wonder what will happen when Google's ad servers are compromised.

I don't trust Google one little bit, and Mozilla are tainted by association since they are mostly funded by Google.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

intentional?

'Goggle'

4. Conrad Longmore
    FAIL

OpenX

OpenX is turning into a bit of a disaster:

http://isc.sans.edu/diary.html?storyid=9562

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Interesting...

...I just got a warning for grandprix.com. Not sure what ad mechanism it's using.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Wow, there's a Communist Party of Britain?

Are both members aware that their official website has been compromised?

7. Robert X. Cringely

esarcasm also hacked via open x exploit

we got nailed too -- see

http://www.esarcasm.com/17960/no-esarcasm-is-not-a-tool-of-satan-or-malware-authors/

luckily, we got Google to take the stink off us overnight, minimizing the damage. but this is one of those things nobody talks about -- the damage done to legit sites who've been victimized twice -- once by malware, and again by the tools designed to protect people from malware.

dt

8. leer
    FAIL

Publicity

Nice bit of free publicity for some crappy site and their ad software, masquerading as news

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like