back to article Dell nestles baby Opterons into PowerEdge racks

Server and PC maker Dell had to be dragged kicking and screaming into employing AMD's Opteron processors. But ironically, it looks like Dell could just turn out to be the most enthusiastic supporter of Opteron processors in servers today. Oracle has killed off its Sun Fire Opteron product line (at least for the moment), IBM …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

New Opterons

Your comments re targeting are most funny, speaking as a skinflint cheapskate IT guy myself - great to see Dell offering a broad AMD range though, may yet prise my cheque book open!

2. Nate Amsden

hp has more than 3

they have 6

DL165, DL385, DL585, SL165, BL485, and BL685

Wrote about it here:

http://www.techopsguys.com/2010/09/07/only-hp-has-it/

And HP is the only one offering systems with the full 12 DIMM/socket configuration (DL165, DL385, SL165)

And HP is the only one offering Blades(so far).

I have no doubt that HP will launch another SL series system with the Opteron 4100 it just hasn't been announced yet. The SL series is designed for max efficiency and scale out designs, and you can't get much more efficient than the Opteron 4100.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Nate Amsden

don't have a title

Yes I agree, I was just trying to illustrate that it seems that in fact it is HP who is looking like the best "partner" for AMD at least for their latest CPUs (granted no 4100s announced yet but it's only a matter of time the chip is still new and these new Dell boxes don't ship till next month). rather than Dell being the best partner at least as far as "completeness of solutions" go.

If you are a penny pincher and a SMB maybe the HP microserver is a better fit, it does not use an Opteron, but rather an Athlon but is dirt cheap.

Myself I have had bad experiences both on the ultra cheap Dell R410s as well as the HP DL165s(or was it DL160 I forget), but I guess you get what you pay for when you buy the really low end stuff. Neither type of system was decided by me though in both cases the experiences was worse than I expected.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like