back to article Group recommends joint NATO-Russia 'cyber' war games

The North Atlantic Treaty Organization and Russia should undertake joint information-warfare exercises so the two countries can better protect critical digital infrastructure, policy wonks at an international group said. The proposal, which was included in a 32-page report released Wednesday by the EastWest Institute, would …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Maybe the current US administration will actually hear this one

I wholeheartedly believe that it would be a fine show of good faith, in the presence of post-Soviet-Bloc Russian nationalism, to offer to actually play *friendly* with the fellows, for once, in a bit of sporting cyber-game - as long as we all make sure that the big guns are disconnected from the mains, first.

Still, I wonder how willing the current administration would be to assist Russia in hardening herself against our own prying noses. I don't suppose it's something they'd play dice about, on any table, regardless.

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Getting right Down and Dirty and into IT, with some Serious Monkey Business.

"Still, I wonder how willing the current administration would be to assist Russia in hardening herself against our own prying noses. I don't suppose it's something they'd play dice about, on any table, regardless." .... Anonymous Coward Posted Friday 17th September 2010 05:09 GMT

There would be those who would be thinking that the US is the Weakling, Foundering in the Virtual Field, and Suffering from a Catastrophic Lack of Necessarily New Intelligence, AC. ...... And behaving like a ignorant schoolyard bully in the company of sophisticated nonchalant peers?

"The paper was released the same day that a top US defense official said NATO should build a “cyber shield” to protect the alliance's military and economic infrastructure from internet threats. " ...Good luck with that. ....... for it is extremely tricky veering towards the varnigh impossible to even set up right, let alone run effectively as a viable sustainable constructive unit making a valuable contribution to the future well-being of nations, as is evidenced by GCHQ's Office of Cyber Security difficulties, with that which we would know of in such a secretive and sensitive organisation, being only a small part of their problems in what is a rapidly expanding novel field ..... http://tinyurl.com/2v8uky2.

Fall behind in CyberSpace Matters and Catchup is only Possible with Intellectual Property Defections to One's Cause ........ for it is a Hearts and Minds Game, is not, with Global Control the Great Game Prize for ITs Leaders and Project Programmers, with Riches beyond your Wildest Dreams at you Fingertips, and Available to be Won or Lost at the Click of a Mouse.

2. RyokuMas
    Coat

Wouldn't you prefer...

... a nice game of... chess?

I'll get me coat.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Headmaster

Russia, The United States, and Cyber Diplomacy: Opening the Doors.

Opening the doors?

No, no, you've got it all wrong.

Security is all about *closing* doors...

4. Count Ludwig
    FAIL

War Gamez

"OK, now we're going to pretend to disable your electricity grid Don't worry, it's only a simulated attack"

"Oops, sorry about that, seems we got UAT and LIVE mixed up."

5. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

Nations Acting Badly

Given past Russian behavior, namely more than willing to conduct attacks, cyber and/or physical, against neighboring states, are we willing to not only help polish their tools but to expose to their scrutiny our repertoire? Only an idiot in a think tank could come up with this. I wonder how much they got paid for this bit of fluff. Then again this isn't much better: "Develop an “ecosystem” of trusted identities through public key infrastructure framework developed by the ITU." Why develop them. To have them stolen? To be fraudulently used in the future? The head of the ITU has already proved he's clueless.

This topic is closed for new posts.