back to article Yahoo! sneak peeks revamped Mail

Yahoo! has unveiled new incarnations of its Mail, Search, and News services, each due to reach US users sometime this fall. Speaking Wednesday morning at the company's headquarters in Sunnyvale, California, new chief product officer and former Microsoftee Blake Irving said the company has resolved to update its vast array of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Julian Smart

Re-architected

Ah, I remember the good old days when things were just "redesigned". Thank goodness that their new technologies[1] have re-embiggened us all.

[1] Y'know, like woodwork, plastic chemistry or nanotech used to be technologies, and now you can invent an entire technology in an afternoon from the comfort of your desk. (ssh, don't tell anyone but it's just more lines of code...)

2. Mike Echo

Yeah, but...

As long as gmail, lavabit, etc offer free pop3 and/or imap access, I can't see Yahoo mail becoming a threat any time soon no matter how fancy their interface.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Boffin

Re: Yeah, but...

Yeah, but...

so does Yahoo!

2. Reg Varney

I'm no fan of Yahoo, but...

... they do provide free POP3 access to most of the world (everywhere except US, I think). Bizarrely, this is only on accounts created since the rule change - there is no way to "upgrade" an old account into having free POP3 - you can only go the paid "plus" route,

Now, some (/most/all) people would think that this is a pretty stupid way of annoying their current customers, and that potential new users are more likely to go to hotmail or gmail anyway, but that's the Wonder of Yahoo for you.

1. Uncle Slacky Silver badge
        Happy

There's always YahooPOPs!

http://sourceforge.net/projects/yahoopops/

1. Uncle Slacky Silver badge
          Thumb Up

Even better

Just tell Yahoo you're in Asia:

http://picobit.wordpress.com/2009/04/10/yahoo-mail-free-pop-access/

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Mike Echo

Yahoo offer free Pop3/Smtp too, been using it for years now. (I don't work for Yahoo/Bing)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Integration with Facebook andTwitter

Holly crap! Not again these two PITBs, it seems there's no way we can hide from them these days.

4. ShaggyDoggy

Oh no not again

It's only a year since it was last "re-achitected"

I hope they used a better re-achitect this time

5. Tim #3

Reliabililty

The one feature the new architecture needs is a greater degree of reliability, I've lost count of the times yahoo mail has been down this week.

6. Dan 55 Silver badge

Yeah, but...

I've only just got through opting out of all the new privacy settings since the last 're-architecture' at the start of the year which forced some social networking nonsense upon us.

What can I look forward to this time, will they create a Facebook profile for me and CC all my e-mails to the wall?

7. Mike Echo
    FAIL

Yeah, but...

I stand corrected. It's been a long Friday and I haven't checked Yahoo's pop access recently, k? Now, where's me beer?

8. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Yahoo Mail

Will it finally stop warning me that my screen resolution is too low when I try reading email on my netbook, and that I need to use "Yahoo Mail Classic"?

9. Jon 48
    Stop

Just email please

I only use Yahoo Mail for registering with web sites and for other things that demand I supply an address. I don't want any social networking rubbish. I just want simple email.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like