back to article Intel smarties rain on the clouds

Two of Intel's best and brightest engineers rained on the cloud-computing parade on Tuesday. And Google's broswer-based Chrome OS suffered collateral damage. "We really have a lot of meta-questions to answer that affect how cloud computing rolls out, particularly in the areas of privacy and security," Kevin Kahn, director of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. ajgraham
    Grenade

Hmm, smells like bullshit

I find it really hard to take analysis seriously about cloud computing by a company that has a vested interest in it not happening. To summarise the article: Latency will piss off users. Have non of the 'experts' realised that most mobile/laptop/computers are now accessing almost everything via the Internet and mostly through a browser, so the latency difference nil?

This is Intel saying, hey guys, you still need our over priced top-end processors (even though 95% of users don't).

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

stored in the cloud

"Google's upcoming Chrome OS — said to be coming in tablet form this November — will require that all of a user's data be stored in the cloud"

Not a chance

3. Asgard
    Big Brother

No way in hell Google...

@"will require that all of a user's data be stored in the cloud."

I want an old fashioned computer. One that stores my data!

4. Steven Knox
    Thumb Down

If....

If these concerns are news to you, you shouldn't be in any occupation even remotely related to IT.

5. Jeroen Braamhaar
    Thumb Up

Excellent!

I applaud those fellows that they came forward with their concerns. Privacy/security get glossed over in the consumer world too often for convenience (or profit -- hello Mr Schmidt and your Oogly-Googly minions) and it's good someone does a reality/sanity check!!

I approve much of this article, and well done to them fellows (and to El Reg for posting it!)

6. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Well, I never ...... and in this day and age too.

Wow, a right pair of post modern Luddites.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

You can count me in.

You can pry me data from me warm rotting corpse.

7. Jerome 0
    WTF?

Future?

"One questioner asked the assembled Fellows whether cloud computing wasn't actually leading users 'back to the future' — back to the days of punch cards and dumb terminals"

I think the questioner might be interested to learn that this is what's known as the "past".

8. Cloud_Zone

More Security

Cloud security should be on the main agenda of any cloud computing supplier. We as users need to know and believe that these companies that say they are the best at security are actually speaking the truth. How can we be sure? Who is measuring that security? And can they be trusted? Companies aren't just going to throw their information on the Cloud without being sure...but the ROI sure looks good.

1. Dethstar

The concept is fantastic to sell. But would I buy it? Only for data I consider non critical

I have sold these services as well as more generic data centre hosting. Trust me, we can make any managed service ROI look good. The question is what happens after you bought it and who is going to be the first poster child for the already overdue massive and public failure of one of these services.

The devil is in the delivery.

Personally I have a vested interest in cloud based computing selling to our client base. But would I make the same decision if I was a CIO. Absolutely not if it was from any of the five biggest companies aggresively selling it.

One IT director I know of in the financial sector made the truest comment I have heard in this whole debate. "You would have to go a long way to convince me that anyone is going to prioritize my data more highly than I do or look after it as good as I will."

Having been inside companies selling it, I can say with all honesty that he was absolutely right. He is worth the value of his contract with them. But to him, his data is absolutely central to all they do. Its not even ine the same ballpark.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

These questions are important, but the issues even more fundamental.

I work for a company that is push cloud computing hard (US/EU/Global Tier one grade Carrier) and I have to say. If it was my company making these choices. I would be waiting a very very long time before I commit my data to the cloud. A very long time indeed.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like