back to article Sony net-connected HD TVs get BBC iPlayer access

Sony has updated its internet-connected Bravia TVs to include access to BBC iPlayer. The electronics giant promised to allow viewers direct access to the BBC's catch-up service when it launched its 2010 TV range back in the Spring. Other services it pledged at the time to provide, including Lovefilm and TV channel Five's …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. copsewood

existing customers

Given I bought a Sony Bravia networked telly nearly a year ago it would be nice to know which models the firmware that provides this functionality runs on. It would also be helpful for reviewers by stating this to encourage manufacturers to try harder to make new firmware features available to existing customers.

1. Morgad

this list?

the ones listed here ??

http://support.sony-europe.com/tvhc/downloads/downloads.aspx?site=odw_en_GB&f=FW_Bravia4074L_UK&ch=7&m=KDL-37EX503

Improvements in this version

* BBC iPlayer service support

Applicable models

* KDL-32EX403 / EX503 / EX603 / EX703 / EX713 / NX503

* KDL-37EX403 / EX503

* KDL-40EX403 / EX503 / EX603 / EX703 / EX713 / HX703 / NX503

* KDL-46EX403 / EX503 / EX703 / EX713 / HX703

* KDL-52EX703

* KDL-55EX503 / EX713

* KDL-60EX703

My TV updated nearly a week ago. It seems to be pulling the updates over the net.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Thumb Up

More models than that

Some models run a different version of software. There are different but similar updates for:

KDL-xxNX703

KDL-xxNX713

KDL-xxNX803

KDL-xxNX813

KDL-xxLX903

KDL-xxHX803

KDL-xxHX813

Where xx is all applicable sizes.

The updates should occur automatically over the network though.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. purplefloyd
    Pint

MHEG

It might be worth mentioning that this is an MHEG implementation of iPlayer, which means that once other devices get their Freeview HD MHEG engines up to scratch the service will work on them too.

Beer 'cos it's that time of day...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Automatic update

All 2010 UK models with Bravia Internet Video will get iPlayer, these are all the Freeview HD models. Software update is required but will be automatic if TV is left in standby connected to the network. Otherwise you can download from the Sony support website.

You may have to "Refresh Internet Channels" in Settings->Network after you have the update.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Update Info at this page

http://support.sony-europe.com/tvhc/downloads/downloads.aspx?site=odw_en_GB&f=FW_Bravia4074L_UK&ch=7&m=KDL-32EX503

6. Matthew 3

Also on Samsung TVs

I've found this feature on Samsung's current line-up too.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No title req'd

Shame it doesn't seem to be streaming in HD yet.

8. yokel
    Thumb Down

Same boat as Copsewood

So after all that research last year I like copsewood bought an internet connected Bravia KDL-37W5500 and after it taking 2 months for repairs thought I had a future proof TV. So HD caught me out then no iplayer. Not so clever!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like