back to article Blizzard issues fatwa against Starcraft II cheaters

Blizzard is threatening to permanently ban Starcraft II players, found to "be cheating or using hacks or modifications in any form. "This means that the player will be permanently unable to log in to Battle.net to play StarCraft II with his or her account,” Blizzard said yesterday. This is hardly new news as Blizzard already …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. RyokuMas
    FAIL

Yaaaaaaaawn....

Anyone who plays WoW has heard this from Blizz before - every now and then they go all ranty and sometimes even ban a few goldsellers etc...

Ultimately, the bans (if they happen) are of little matter - Blizz want players subscription money, and this usually outweighs any moral dilemma of removing goldfarmers, cheats etc - until enough paying subscribers make enough fuss to get another of these token responses.

I believe it when (if) it happens...

2. Loyal Commenter Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

This raises an interesting point (or maybe not)

When buying the game itself, presumably the player is not agreeing to these terms until they start paying for the online subscription. Because banning them would render the game worthless, and presumably the terms of this agreement would only apply to the online subscription, would they then be able to claim back the cost of the game (but not the subscription) from Blizzard? This is the sort of thing I'd like to see a test case for, to find out which way it would fall...

1. Ragarath

Presumably

This would be the banning of on-line play? (not read the official announcement)

Off-line play may still be allowed but would need a re-install if you installed it in it's on-line mode.

2. Avatar of They
      Thumb Down

It is an interesting point.

Except with star craft 2 you don't pay for online subscription, you actually rent it with a one off payment. You certainly don't own it.

You cannot play the game at all unless logged in, which is a pain as so far I have had two days where it can't find the server because it is busy, so I can't play the game I own.

And of course during play the servers time out, lose connection so nothing is recorded.

So the game is rendered worthless because of Blizzard simply having crap servers and requiring the login. Had this been very public I wouldn't have bothered, afterall it does say interenet connection required to play, but there is no offline version so don't think of playing it on a laptop in a hotel or if BT have issues with the copper wire etc.

1. Rob 9

I thought...

"Except with star craft 2 you don't pay for online subscription, you actually rent it with a one off payment. You certainly don't own it.

You cannot play the game at all unless logged in, which is a pain as so far I have had two days where it can't find the server because it is busy, so I can't play the game I own."

I thought you just said you don't own it?

As for the original issue, if people are logging into Blizzard's servers, Blizzard have every right to ban people under whatever circumstances they feel appropriate.

3. Marcus Aurelius
    Joke

Gold farmers

I wish someone would ban the gold farmers. Their Auction House market manipulation is ruining my attempts at Auction house market manipulation.... :-P

4. Chris Eaton
    FAIL

Dear Friend

well said marcus - hate gold farmers ...dear friend if I could just trouble you a second.

these people are no friend of mine!

5. Joeykins

subscriptions?

StarCraft 2 (presently) doesn't have any subscription fees; you buy it and you can play it.

1. Daniel B.

... in the US

Here in Mexico, the version sold in stores is a $300 MXN (about $25 USD) 6-month Starcraft Edition. That is, it will "expire" in 6 months, and you can buy it for another 6 months at the $300MXN price tag, or pay USD $60 for the unlimited game.

The Asia region has actually gone for 3-day, 7-day, 30-day Starcraft licenses as well.

6. hahnchen

Steam bans people, Xbox Live bans people

It's not news that cheaters get banned from online services. It happens all the time on other services, so why not battle.net?

1. Daniel B.

Slight problem

The game will refuse to work without a B.net connection. Well, there is offline mode, but I'm not sure if that one works on an unlimited basis. IIRC, most of these type of games need the server connection to properly work!

This topic is closed for new posts.