back to article Robo Developer Conference in pictures II

Robo Developer show floor Welcome to our second look at the Robo Developer conference in sunny San Jose. We've got even more mechanical freaks to share this round. Our first booth today is Willow Garage, which is a privately-funded research lab selling their gear as a "standardized robotics platform" for domestic robots …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Andrew Tyler
    Alert

Holy God Almighty!

Seriously, that Einstein video is terrifying. I know you warned me, and I really shouldn't have looked, but I couldn't help myself. I think I'm deeply, deeply scarred.

Anyways, whomever is the first to dub a voice over the video in the parts where Al's mouth is moving is going to reap all kinds of horrible Web 2.0 fame. Probably something with a lot of screaming and pitiful "What have you done to my body?!" crying would do...

Just put some clown makeup on that sucker and I'll never sleep again.

2. Sean Nevin

The Video

Aside from being a tad jerky, the face worked pretty well. But it's not robots with realistic faces we need to be concerned with. I mean really, when the computers become sentient, what use would they have for faces? They don't need to be laughing or smiling as they wipe out hordes of humans...

3. The Other Steve
    Alert

May The Lord Have Mercy On Your Soul

"Just put some clown makeup on that sucker and I'll never sleep again."

Oh, thanks for that Andrew, thanks a lot, now I really will have the screaming nightmares.

I never heard of the "Uncanny Valley" stuff until I read this story, but I sure am feeling it right now.

Deeply creepy.

4. Ben W
    Happy

Well......

When they start selling replicas of me that can go to work for me and go shopping with the wife for me I'll be first in line!!!

5. Jon Tocker

IFOWON[x]OL

I, For One, Welcome Our New Robot-Toy Over-Lords.

The CEO of Evolution Robotics is obviously a clear-thinking individual with his plans to create robot toys that can chase children around the house.

The amount of damage my kids have inflicted upon their toys over the years, it'd be good to turn the tables on 'em for once...

The only thing stopping me from buying them a RoboSapien to date is the knowledge that within 5 minutes it'll be cowering in a corner, screaming.

Of course, once I get one of these child-seeking robots I shall perform some - ahhhhh - *cosmetic* modifications that will probably get me done for breach of copyright by Terry Nation's estate but it'd be well worth it...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Heart

Robosex

"When they start selling replicas of me that can go to work for me and go shopping with the wife for me I'll be first in line!!!"

And what about when you come home and find it bonking your wife? (and she claims to think it was the real you)

7. David S

@anon

"And what about when you come home and find it bonking your wife? (and she claims to think it was the real you)"

Well, isn't that what the sex offenders register is for? Or is that just for bikes?

8. mahoney

beep beep boop

Even more important than the "Uncanny Valley" stuff, is the first rule of robot-making;

Never make a robot that is faster/stronger/better than you are. Eventually, all robots will turn on their creator, (and all humanity in general) so when this happens, you want to make sure that it can't destroy you.

Forgot bonking the wife... I'd bonk my own robot-self.

(would that be considered gay sex? or perhaps some sort of futuristic robo-assisted masturbation?)

9. Jon Tocker

@ mahoney

"I'd bonk my own robot-self.

(would that be considered gay sex? or perhaps some sort of futuristic robo-assisted masturbation?)"

Or merely colossal egotism? (Don't worry, the politicians would have to raise their personal hypocrisy another three notches before they made that illegal).

Anyway, where's my robobutler cum home security guard (aka killbot)? I want a robot who knows how to mix cocktails, prepare my clothes, clean the house and put two rounds of 115-gr 9mm +P+ Jacketed Hollow Point into an intruder's centre-of-mass within a centimetre apart at 30 metres (without slopping my drink, thank you).

And must be robust enough to handle being pushed down the stairs by the kids from time to time...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like