back to article Dell readies flip-screen tablet-cum-netbook

Dell has demo'd a novel convertible tablet that does away with the usual tilt'n'pivot mount. Instead, it's based around a 10in screen that's mounted within a netbook clamshell chassis but which can rotate about a central horizontal axis, within the bezel, to face in or out. The catch is it makes for a chunky tablet, but it …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. JaitcH
    WTF?

A Panasonic or Fujitsu knockoff

Both Panasonic and Fujitsu have products in this format. The Fujitsu was called the iPad, before Jobs copied the name and had to buy the rights.

I'd rather buy a Panasonic or Fujitsu than Dell - better quality and more experience in the format.

1. Russ Tarbox
      Stop

Er, dude

The Fujitsu iPad was/is an EPOS solution. It looks more like an oversides Ericsson P800i.

Plus, Dell make some decent kit these days. Their Inspiron range was awful a few years ago (the fact they only offered a three month warranty spoke volumes) but it's as good as anything at a similar price point these days.

2. handle

The usual netbook

...has a screen of 1024 x 600, not 1024 x 768.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And the point of this "article"???

That is all.

1. Russ Tarbox
      WTF?

To tell us about a new product.

Have you ever read The Register before?

4. sT0rNG b4R3 duRiD
    Dead Vulture

Why no pix?

You tease us, El Reg... Anyway, googling led me to this, for those of you who are as curious as I am as to what these might look like

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/computers/idf-2010-dell-inspiron-duo-combines-tablet-and-laptop-runs-windows-7-home-premium/3846

Now if only someone would do the right thing and brings out an arm/linux version...

5. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Why oh why oh why?

What's wrong with HP's (well Compaq's really) solution to this problem with the old T1100? Put everything in the screen, then have a really thin keyboard that you can clip on and off? It was a much better solution than any of the convertible tablets, while still giving you a keyboard. As it was a far superior tablet, while being an only slightly worse laptop - which surely is the best compromised to make, bearing in mind that this is a TABLET PC.

In the end I sold my tilt'n'swivel HP tablet and got an iPad instead. I do miss the keyboard, but only occasionally. And it means I don't need to take steroids in order to be able to lift the damn thing. If only one of the PC manufacturers had co-operated, I wouldn't have had to join the cult of Jobs...

6. Avatar of They
    Thumb Down

one issue

Windows. Yes I am a linux fan and hate everything windows, having used windows 7 and having to reformat from scratch one month after purchase because of 'issues' internal to the OS and I am having issues getting USB 2.0 to work with windows 7, or sound etc.

Anyway I digress. Windows is crap at touch screen and resource management for a small lightweight device.

This isn't going to appeal to people that don't want to wait for AV's to run and want access to an app store which I thought was the main selling point to all these tablets?

If you still have to stick in a CD to load up and, rebooting because windows 7 can't install without a reboot etc.

I like the design but it is dell and Windows together.

1. Russ Tarbox

So just install Linux on it then.

It's a PC after all.

Also, I don't think "app stores" are the selling points for tablets. The fact it's a handheld computer seems to be the point. Like holding a clipboard or similar. But of course, the apps in these app stores are all specifically designed to be used with a touch interface, whereas of course most PC apps aren't. This is most likely why the iPad has been a success. If there were to be made available a range of apps that could run under Windows that were designed with touch users in mind, it might take off. But I doubt it...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like