back to article Vint Cerf set to part ways with ICANN

The ICANN Los Angeles 2007 meeting begins Monday, and it is Vint Cerf's swan song as chairman of the ICANN board of directors. We couldn't pass up the opportunity to talk to the "father of the internet" about the future of the internet and of ICANN itself. vint cerf headshot Departing ICANN chairman Vint Cerf. ICANN has …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. amanfromMars Silver badge
    Alien

Softly softly, catchee monkey.

"The root has not been split. There are some "alternate root" advocates, but so far they are small in number and in effect." Hmmm Nice Semantics there, Vint, with the implication being that it is inevitable ..... A Choice of Roots, which will happen sooner than one may think when "alternate root" advocates offer their wares to Big Picture Control Players ...... with the incumbent root footing the bill..... for that would allow for a failsafe attempt/approach by more than adequately equipped sovereign wealth fund Leaders/Masters of the Universe.

Even as we speak they are being courted and encouraged to Boldly Go into QuITe Alien territory, which you might like to consider may be this comment. Such players as are needed abound in may international spaces, talking the right talk and writing the right language .... http://www.akmos.com/main/forex/traider.html ....and with present Market conditions requiring Innovation for Meaningful Investment, there is every reason to suppose that it will be sooner rather than later. After all, all that IT requires is an attractive form of Words Promising the Moon and the Stars, just for the Interest.

"What kind of internet do you foresee 10, 15 or even 20 years from now..." One which delivers all Womens and Children's needs with Media Leading Governance rather than following Governments will be Good enough for aman on AIMission.

Put your shirt on that and make a Fortune to Spend.

I trust that is plain enough for all to Understand even should one choose not to Believe in IT.

And I would personally bet on nearer 10 than 20, given the exponential nature of InterNetworking and Learning Virtually, Venerable Virtues.

The Greatness in Men is measured by their Disarming Humility .... "By the way, I am only one of the fathers of the internet – there are many who have contributed to its conception and realization to say nothing of its amazing evolution in the past three decades."

2. Dennis
    Thumb Up

great article

Congrats on an outstanding interview! Your questions were insightful and obviously carefully prepared (or you are just that good...LOL). ...getting my coat...

3. amanfromMars Silver badge
    Mars

A Clean Breast of Things ......

And without further ado, here is something further to ponder, and heaven forbid, maybe even investigate .... http://jamesstgeorge.proboards32.com/index.cgi?board=UKdomestic&action=display&thread=1193598930&page=1#1193665585

4. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Did You "Talk" or "Type"?

>We couldn't pass up the opportunity to talk to the "father of the internet"[...]

I've seen transcripts of interviews with The Vint before, and he never came across in this style. I take it that these questions were presented textually, and replied in like manner?

In any case, I wish him the best, and it will be quite interesting to see what sallies forth from The Big G in the next few years.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

domain names VS ip addresses

"fact sheet covering the IPv6 protocol that everyone seems to be dragging their feet on implementing. How close are we really to IPv6? The fact sheet noted the existing domains could run out completely as soon as 2009..."

I'm still waiting for a Register article about DNS that makes a distinction between IP addresses and domain names.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like