back to article Toshiba touts £329 Folio Android tablet

Do computer companies never learn from history? Clearly not, if Toshiba is anything to go by. Today, it launched its Android tablet, revealing the gadget is called Folio. Does Toshiba not recall the Palm Foleo, quickly re-christened the Faileo by pundits? Toshiba Folio 100 Still, the Tosh offering has an impressive non-fail …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Why is there a mouse pointer?!

Why is there a mouse pointer on the screen? Is someone playing powerpoint games with the demo?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@AC

>Why is there a mouse pointer on the screen?

Saw it too - thought for a moment a manufacturer had had the sense to include a trackball - maybe next model once they actually test the usabilty.....

2. Anonymous John
    Happy

Atari was first.

With the Portfolio.

3. ThomH

I'm not sold on the widescreen aspect ratios

They make these things look a very uncomfortable shape when you're in portrait orientation. I think the point of widescreens is that wider feels more natural to a point; as soon as you rotate it 90 degrees all you've achieved is extremely uncomfortable thinness.

Any news on a 4:3 Android tablet?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Pirate

Re: Widescreen aspect ratios

Come on, you have to at least let the companies milk the fail for a little while longer! The sensible 4:3 ratio will début in a few generations time and be heralded as the must-have new feature. Bit like the way matt laptop screens are back in vogue and marketed as being easier to read (who'd have thought it, eh?)

4. Alex C

Weird flash back just there

I am the great Palm Foleo. I need teepee for my bunghole.

That is all...

5. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Palm Foleo

"Does Toshiba not recall the Palm Foleo, quickly re-christened the Faileo by pundits?"

Yes, by idiot pundits who didn't see the whole netbook segment coming because it's all about "my ultra-spec mega-laptop costing $2000, and running [Microsoft Office Expensive Edition/Overclocked GPU-thrashing First Person Shooter, Episode 27] - why would anyone need anything else?"

The lesson: don't listen to idiot pundits; identify and listen to customer demand.

6. Reg Varney
    WTF?

Same screen resolution as the Samsung...

... but 3" bigger screen?

What's the point of the bigger screen, if the screen resolution isn't increased?

1. Marky W
      FAIL

troll or tard?

I imagine it's the same reason that HD tellies come in all sizes but with the same resolution.

I don't try the bigger-tellies-are-for-bigger-rooms gambit, because that's horsepoop and you know it.

1. Ari_M

Missed the point by a large margin there

You don't compare a tablet to a telly. You compare it to a computer desktop, where the extra resolution can actually be useful. HD content is always 1920x1080 so there's no point in having more resolution in a telly.

7. Stuart Halliday
    IT Angle

We have our specification demands too

I'd want a solid guarantee from the manufacturers that they'd support and update whatever version of Android came out for it for at least 2 years.

Too many of these companies drop updates as soon as the product is out of the door.

8. JaitcH
    FAIL

I wonder if it has rubber feet and whether they remain attached

A company I worked for standardised on Tosh laptops but they all had a problem in common.

Some of the rubber feet would always fall off the computers - usually so that they rocked when the keyboards were used. Getting replacement feet from Toshiba was impossible.

They no longer buy Tosh products of any type.

1. Tempest
      Happy

:) You, too? Use tap washers and instant glue!

Same thing happened to this Tosh I.m typing on. Seems to be a 'feature'.

I removed the remaining feet, bought some chunky tap washers and used instant glue - been working for 3 years so far!

9. Scott Thomson
    Jobs Horns

Bet Apple are loving this!

There is a whole new raft of companies that they can slap patent lawsuits on for infringing on some ancient and incredibly vague patent that hints at some of the technology used on tablet PCs.

<-- Steve the Devil..... because he really is!

10. Leon

On the Border

WOW look at the size of that chunky border - what a waste of space!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like