back to article Crowds greet A380 at Manchester Airport

An enthusiastic crowd greeted the first Airbus A380 to land at Manchester Airport earlier this afternoon, marking the end of an 18-month, £10m upgrade of the airport to accommodate the beast. Emirates will operate a daily Manchester-Dubai service, meaning the former has the honour of being the first regional airport anywhere …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Planespotting

Must have been quite a sight from the pub at the end of the runway.

2. smudge
    Coat

Says it all about Manchester

The Beeb says "thousands" turned out to see it. WTF were they doing?

And in this day and age wouldn't that be regarded as a security threat?

Is there really nothing better to do in Manchester than to go to the airport and watch the big white bird land?

1. Vehlin
      Thumb Down

Says it all,,,

One could also argue "Is there really nothing better to do on the internet than come to El Reg and write inane comments?"

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge
        Pint

@Vehlin

"One could also argue "Is there really nothing better to do on the internet than come to El Reg and write inane comments?""

Um...nope. Or at the very least, I haven't found anything better (on the internet) to do with my time. There's plenty of stuff IRL that's far grander but almost all of it involves, well...REAL PEOPLE. On the Internet though...where's better than here? This is my electronic home-away-from-home, sort of like a digital pub. I venture out to other pubs periodically, try for variety and such like...but I always keep returning here.

Where do you know of on the tubes that's a better place to be than here?

Pint for all my mates on this here internet pub.

1. Intractable Potsherd
          Pint

@ Trevor Pott

That is one of those truths I didn't realise until you just put it into words. Here's to El Reg and her readers - the internet pub!

2. GeorgeTuk
      Stop

You really are a bundle of fun

Do you think they sat there all day, or maybe just knew when it would arrive and turned up just before? I remember Concorde's last flight and from my office a few turned up early but most about and hour before and left shortly after.

If you read the article the wings are made in Cheshire so many of these would be workers proud to show of their work to family and friends, like in Filton when it was built there and I worked for their then shareholder BAE.

And lastly security threat, what with hundreds of people there somebody to walk around with a large shoulder mounted weapon? In an area I guess is regularly open to the public regularly anyway. Don't worry, security assessments would have been done by somebody with a few more skills in the area rather than forumnaysayer.

So like the one above me, did you really have to come on here and post inane moaning posts about something others might have enjoyed or do we just all have to do what you view as fun?

3. MJI Silver badge

One of those A380s

From the dark side (if you are British)

4. Graham Marsden
    Coat

Hey Boss...

... The Plane! The Plane!

1. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Hey Boss...

"It's a big pretty white plane with red stripes, curtains in the windows and wheels and it looks like a big Tylenol."

1. Graham Marsden
        Coat

But...

... that's not important right now.

5. Stuart 22

We are number 3 so we have to try really hard ...

Manchester, still playing catch-up with Birmingham ;-)

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not exactly Concorde

A flying pig, but you've got to see it to believe it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Down

Yep, if only....

....Airbus had been able to make it look other than extremely ugly.

I like aeroplanes really, but this one just doesn't enthuse me at all. I keep thinking it's flying backwards....

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I've been at the gate for an AS380 Singapore Air

And it doesn't look that big close up.

7. Fenton

Can't wait

For the time when they use the A380 to transport 1000 Chavs to Ibiza with the smallest seat pitch.

NOT

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Aviation...

For masses of the masses

"packed plebs" , "untold numbers of the underclass" "sardined..... ???"

For masses of the masses...

...all of whom are known as self loading cargo.

8. Liassic
    Thumb Up

Very quick article

So it only took you 9 minutes from the scheduled landing of the plane to assess whether the crowds were "enthusiastic" or not, write your piece and load it onto the website.

I expect similar response times for all news events going forward...

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: Very quick article

No - it took a bit longer to write the article prior to the landing (that's calling thinking ahead), then around seven minutes to assess via Granada's live vid feed that the crowd was indeed "enthusiastic" (I had "disappointed" on standby, just in case, and also "hostile", this being Manchester), then a couple of minutes to publish the piece.

We don't muck about, I can tell you.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Boffin

The secret of journalism

is that no matter the publication, its importance or integrity, many if not most of the articles it publishes are rehashed from the press releases the publication receives.

Or do you think El Reg is such a huge newsgathering organisation that it actually has a tentacle physically present at Ringway today?

1. Marcus Aurelius
        Joke

El Regs

Noodly appendages are everywhere!

2. Tony Humphreys
        Coat

Ringway

Ha ha, "Ringway" - it tickled me

1. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Ringway

Boss! You know that lowest common denominator we've been searching for? Come and look at this....

Heh.

9. lglethal Silver badge
    Thumb Down

So let me get this straight...

So if i understand the press release correctly, an airport servicing Greater Manchester (population ~2,250,000) is called a "Regional airport" now.

Interesting context for the use of the word regional, but i guess anything for a good headline, eh?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Boffin

Primate city

The UK is an example of a country with a primate city (London). All other major cities in such countries are so far behind the primate in size and influence that, yes, they do just count as "regional" cities. See <http://geography.about.com/od/urbaneconomicgeography/a/primatecities.htm>

1. Anonymous Coward
        Joke

Re: Primate city

"The UK is an example of a country with a primate city (London)."

I for one welcome our new ape overlords. Or are you talking about the behaviour in the House of Commons?

(Apologies to the Moderatrix who has to read about 500 Kent Brockman-inspired comments every day.)

10. Christoph

Dubai?

So Manchester is very proud to be linked to a place like Dubai with their wonderful human rights record?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Pint

Have a cup of tea

And when you're done, give's a list of "nice" countries, with good human rights records, that we're allowed to fly planes to from Manchester.

And when you're done, I'll go tell the airport to shut down due to lack of destinations.

1. GeorgeTuk
        Pint

@ Have a cup of tea

Good point well made.

It will only be short hops to Europe then, what with the death penalty in US.

Actually aren't France banning the burqa (spelling...sorry!), scrap that.

And Italy turning back the Libyans.

So we will only be able to go to Germany (whose constitution was part made by us and US) and Switzerland...hang on they allow euthanasia.

As I said darn good point well made! Beer for you!

1. richard 69
          FAIL

you're grouping switzerland with those?

yeah, switzerland, where terminally ill people can go and end their lives with some dignity.....yeah those evil swiss....

2. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

@GeorgeTuk

"It will only be short hops to Europe then, what with the death penalty in US.

Actually aren't France banning the burqa (spelling...sorry!), scrap that.

And Italy turning back the Libyans.

So we will only be able to go to Germany (whose constitution was part made by us and US) and Switzerland...hang on they allow euthanasia."

So what's Canada, chopped liver?

1. John 62

Canada?

Is that chopped baby seal liver? Even their 2010 Miss Universe national dress costume had a fur.

(Note that I don't oppose seal clubbing - s'not for me, but is it really any worse than most farming practices? where baby bull calves are shot at birth and even if they do grow up they get turned into bullocks and get their horns cut off before turning up on my plate. but wow! how did a story about the A380 to Manchester turn into this comment thread??! And why am I contributing?!)

Baby seals

Given that climate change has erased most of the things that eat seals, SOMEONE Has to keep the seal population down. Elsewise the horny buggers would breed unchecked and devastate the marine ecosystem.

Besides, even if you care about seals “because they’re so damned cute,” there’s no human rights violation occurring there. The discussion was about human rights violations. I can remember a few incidents with our troops abroad, and some pepper spraying of protesters. The troops got into a WORLD of shit when they got home. That leaves pepper spraying protestors.

CANADA: We’ll violate your human rights! With PEPPER SPRAY.

(Ignore the whole Mohawk incident in the 80s. We’ve come a long way since then, and learned a great deal.)

3. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Dubai?

...and major hub with ongoing flights to Pakistan, India and Bangladesh where a tenth to a twentieth of the local population has family ties.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Tony Humphreys

Dubai

... and such a solvent, debt free country.

11. Major N
    Pint

well

I work on the flight path for Manchester, and grew up on it too, so I spent ten minutes in the sun waiting for it to pass over. It's big. Very big. There was a surprising number of people in the Tesco car park nearby stood watching too. If I'd have had my way, I'd have been in the pub beer garden at the landing end of the runway.

12. Gene Cash Silver badge
    FAIL

And Boeing...

still can't find their ass with both hands and a map. How the mighty have fallen.

13. Andrew the Invertebrate

this might be a title

So the trip from Dubai to Manchester takes 4:30 hours but the trip from Manchester to Dubai takes 10:05 hours, how come that's not the headline?

I mean is it uphill all the way from Manchester to Dubai or something?

1. GavinC

time zones?

I assume that comment was intended as carcasm, and you are infact aware of the existence of time zones..?

2. GavinC

time zones?

I assume your comment was sarcasm, and that you are infact aware of the existence of time zones?

14. MYOFB

Oooh . . . So that's what

the noise was!!

Big plane

Big deal

Bigger problems than either 4me . . .

. . . and U2 if you can wake up!!

15. MJI Silver badge

Ringway sounds pants

AVRO sounds better.

Seen the pictures of the prototype Vulcan flying from there.

16. Lottie

I'm impressed

It look freakin' HUGE.

What really tickles me is that there were more folks at the arrival of a big assed plane coming in to land than there were at the EDL demo in BRadford at the weekend. Ha and indeed ha.

Back on topic, this is kinda showing boeing how it ought to be done eh?

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Primate City

If you're talking about Primate cities in the UK the surely those must be Canterbury and York

1. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Take your stinking paws off me

I'll mention "Gorillaz", even though apparently Damon Albarn is from London and/or Colchester according to Wikipedia. "Madchester" is only a state of... intoxication?

18. alderley

British Airways, please take note

I'm delighted that Emirates is making this investment and commitment in Manchester, unlike our supposed national flag-carrier. The only destinations which BA now serve out of Manchester are Heathrow and Gatwick, both of which come pretty low in my preference for airports at which to connect with onward flights. Unfortunately that is fairly typical of the current British malaise of concentrating resources on London at the expense of the regions.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Where would you prefer to connect out of?

Stornoway?

People up North have only just started going on package holidays - give yourself a chance.

19. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

It's a magic house that comes down from the sky!

Wicked Witch of the North-West said to be "concerned"!

Behold its mighty carbon footprint!

20. This post has been deleted by its author

21. dreamingspire
    Thumb Up

Memories...

The A380 at Ringway is nothing, I remember the very first jet airliner to land there, an Air France Caravelle, and my brother and I go to walk through it 'cos Dad knew the airport manager, a Mr Whittle. And Vulcans from Woodford? Regular visitors.

This topic is closed for new posts.