back to article Microsoft divorces Live Mesh from kitchen Sync drama

Microsoft has yet again renamed its Live Sync service which will now be dubbed Windows Live Mesh when it is released this autumn. The company confirmed the moniker switcheroo in a blog post on Friday. But the name change could confuse customers as Live Sync, which Microsoft is currently testing, is made up of two existing …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Test Man
    WTF?

I don't see what the fuss is about.

It's in beta so they can call it whatever they like. What matters is what it's called when it's released.

2. Tom 13
    Jobs Horns

So, same old MS formula

Take an old product, tweak a bit, rename, and release. Take an old product, tweak a bit, rename, and release. Take an old product, tweak a bit, rename, and release. Take an old product, tweak a bit, rename, and release. Take an old product, tweak a bit, rename, and release. Take an old product, tweak a bit, rename, and release. Take an old product, tweak a bit, rename, and release. Take an old product, tweak a bit, rename, and release. Take an old product, tweak a bit, rename, and release. Take an old product, tweak a bit, rename, and release. Take an old product, tweak a bit, rename, and release. Take an old product, tweak a bit, rename, and release. Take an old product, tweak a bit, rename, and release. Take an old product, tweak a bit, rename, and release. Take an old product, tweak a bit, rename, and release. Take an old product, tweak a bit, rename, and release. Take an old product, tweak a bit, rename, and release.

Gets old after a while doesn't it?

1. Alan Bourke
      Gates Horns

Yeah ...

Still, it's working pretty well for Apple. Those great (cough) innovators.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

The Apple and MS formula.

It's take /someone else's/ old product, tweak a bit, rename and release.

And yes, it does seem to work well for both of them.

2. Blain Hamon
        Coat

No, no, this doesn't apply to Apple at all!

Instead, they take an old product, tweak a bit, keep the name to add confusion, and release. After all, a 12-year-old 233 Mhz PowerPC system with a 15" CRT and a 1 month old 3.6Ghz Intel system with a 27" flatscreen are both called iMacs.

Right. Mine's the one with the "How to tell the Late 2008 Unibody MacBook Pro from a Mid 2009 Unibody MacBook Pro" list in the pocket.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

fail

been using it for a while and whilst the idea is sound it seems to have a large effect on network performance, indeed at some points it grinds to a halt, something like myphone would be idea, upload on demand consistant data accross all devices, why complicate it!

1. stefanlasiewski

Sync on demand

Darren, Live Sync *does* have sync on demand.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

What about SyncToy?

I've been using the excellent MS SyncToy for years. There's an updated 64-bit Windows 7 version I'm running now.

SyncToy keep disks (or just sellected directories) of two PCs in sync. Nothing touches the cloud.

It's also a great backup tool. Sync a USB disk with your PC every week or so, and leave the USB disk in the desk draw at work.

I don't want my data moved to the cloud (besides, there's a lot more than 5 GB).

This topic is closed for new posts.